Castor Oil As A Hair Loss Treatment

SciGuy29

My Regimen
Reaction score
MindfluX, your last post was really interesting in regards to the EP3 and EP4 receptors, especially because most posters online mention that castor oil hits only one out of the four PGE2 receptors. After completely reading the study you posted, I'm glad to hear it hits 2 out of the 4!

I wonder if that combined with dinoprostone PGE2 gel might work well together.

Now regarding transdermals... out of DMSO, ethanol, DIM etc. The best one I have found is called Salvo by Iron Legion. I had copy and pasted the science and ingredients in it, but I can't post it for some reason. A warning pops up that my message has spam like elements.

All I will say is that I notice that I have less dry/flakey residue left on my skin after I use it with various powders, which indicates that it absorbs pretty well, and the reviews on bodybuilding forums have been great.

Some info:
The intercellular lipids of the stratum corneum are regarded as the major barrier to the permeation of lipophilic compounds. Salvo contains potent ingredients which modulate this lipid matrix & affect the non-polar permeation-enhancement route. These ingredients include thiazone, which is 3-12x more potent than azone as a permeation-enhancer for lipophilic molecules, and nerolidol, a lipophilic terpene which has been shown to be highly effective at facilitating the delivery of lipophilic molecules. It also includes oleic acid and stearyl methacrylate, fatty-acid derivatives which insert themselves between the hydrocarbon tails of intercellular stratum corneum lipids, and which thus disrupt lipid packing, increase fluidity, and promote diffusion through the external layer of the stratum corneum.

Salvo utilizes a volatile:nonvolatile co-solvent vehicle to create a state of supersaturation, which helps compounds cross the exterior layers of the stratum corneum. As the volatile component evaporates on your skin, the solution becomes more concentrated, and eventually becomes super-saturated, resulting in increased thermodynamic ‘push’, and enhanced penetration.

is generally compatible with active ingredients that have LogP values of 1.5-4.0. Salvo’s system is designed for use with lipophilic ingredients, does not affect the polar route of stratum corneum permeation, and thus compounds with lower lipophilicity will not partition adequately into the SC lipids. Compounds with LogP values higher than 4.0 might have such high affinity for those same SC lipids that they accumulate there & don’t reach the lower levels of the epidermis at reasonable concentrations. -Molecular weight is a good indicator of chemical surface area, which is directly related to diffusion coefficient. As such, compounds with a MW >500 are not expected to work well in this topical system. -’Melting point’ is an indicator of solubility in skin lipids. In general, compounds with low melting points are more compatible with topical solutions than compounds with high melting points. -Ionized species will permeate less readily than free acid forms.

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I now wonder if I should add rosemary oil to my regimen.

MindfluX

My Regimen
Reaction score
Now regarding transdermals... out of DMSO, ethanol, DIM etc. The best one I have found is called Salvo by Iron Legion.

@SciGuy29: I see, the main ingredients of Iron Legion are Isopropyl Alcohol and Propylene Alcohol. From reading other forums I can say Isopropyl Alcohol is more harsh to the skin than ethanol. It can be poisonous through the skin also (link to healthline). Maybe a small amount is okay, I find it in shampoos too, but some say it's better to avoid isopropyl alcohol at all.

About the Propylene Alcohol I can tell Castor oil does not dissolve in it (1, 2003, p.11). So that keeps Ethanol and DMI left for testing.

References
The Dow Chemical Company (2003). A guide to glycols [PDF document]. Derived from:
http://www.dow.com/webapps/lit/litorder.asp?filepath=propyleneglycol/pdfs/noreg/117-01682.pdf

Last edited:

MindfluX

My Regimen
Reaction score
I now wonder if I should add rosemary oil to my regimen.

@David_MPN
Though that I am using, it's still only based on a belief, I didn't find any conclusive evidence so far then the article on it's derivates (which is even based on oral effects). There are Rosemary oil capsules avaiable online btw.

If you start using it, don't mix it with Castor oil in DMSO. See my warning in post #41 (I edited the text after you posted your question).

In your regimen I see you have Peppermint oil. All I can advise you is not to use that oil, it's derived from Mentha piperita (MEO) leaves, It decreases PGE2 production. PGE2 has been said to be crucial for hair growth. I qoute on MEO: "However, MEO showed a moderate inhibitory effect on PGE2 production. At the concentration of 100 mg/ml, PGE2 production decreased by 40%. (1, 2014, p. 9). (The article mistakenly uses the word PEG2 in this setence, so I correct it to PGE2 in my quote.)

Hopes this info will help you to fine tune your regimen.

References
Sun, Z., Wang, H., Wang, J., zhou, L., & Yang, P. (2014). Chemical composition and anti-inflammatory, cytotoxic and antioxidant activities of essential oil from leaves of mentha piperita grown in china. PLOS ONE, 1-15.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0114767.PDF

Last edited:

MindfluX

My Regimen
Reaction score
@SciGuy29
Yeah, I heared of Phlogel before. It has some oils of which I am unsure what the effect will be.

I can't find the Phlogel on HUMCOcompounding you are talking about, but the compounds itself are interesting. Thank you for the link.

For powders, I am using Fructis Garnier Stemoxydine. It dissolves RU and Adenosine very quickly. So I am still looking for a DMSO alternative for the oils. I will try 67% Castor oil and 33% Ethanol (95%).

Last edited:

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
@SciGuy29: I see, the main ingredients of Iron Legion are Isopropyl Alcohol and Propylene Alcohol. From reading other forums I can say Isopropyl Alcohol is more harsh to the skin than ethanol. It can be poisonous through the skin also (link to healthline). Maybe a small amount is okay, I find it in shampoos too, but some say it's better to avoid isopropyl alcohol at all.

About the Propylene Alcohol I can tell Castor oil does not dissolve in it (1, 2003, p.11). So that keeps Ethanol and DMI left for testing.

References
The Dow Chemical Company (2003). A guide to glycols [PDF document]. Derived from:
http://www.dow.com/webapps/lit/litorder.asp?filepath=propyleneglycol/pdfs/noreg/117-01682.pdf
Hello MindfluX,
I'll make this thread derailment brief.
I was hoping you might have some insight pertaining to Emu oil effectives alone against male pattern baldness and/or as a possible effective carrier oil
(for absorption enhancement) for castor oil as one example.
I appreciate your response.

MindfluX

My Regimen
Reaction score
@I.D WALKER
About 16% of Emu oil is linoleic acid [1]. Linoleic acid can increase PGE2 production [2]. So my quick is that it may be effective against male pattern baldness, but I am not sure.

About 46% of Emu oil is oleic acid [1]. Oleic acid is an effective penetration enhancer [3]. My quick guess is that it cannot transport the high molecular weight of Castor oil (928 daltons) [4].

Below you can find some literature that I have found.

References
Viljoen, J.M., Cowley, A., Du Preez, J., Gerber, M., & Du Plessis, J. (2015). Penetration enhancing effects of selected natural oils utilized in topical dosage forms. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 41, 2045-2054.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/03639045.2015.1047847

2 Denning, G.M., Figard, P.H., Spector, A.A. (1982). Effect of fatty acid modification on prostaglandin production by cultured 3T3 cells. Journal of Lipid Research, 23, 584-596.
http://www.jlr.org/content/23/4/584.full.pdf

3 Van Zyl, L., Du Preez, J., Gerber, M., Du Plessis, J., & Viljoen, J. (2016). Essential fatty acids as transdermal penetration enhancers. Pharmaceutics, Drug Delivery and Pharmaceutical Technology, 105, 188-193.
In press:
http://dspace.nwu.ac.za/bitstream/handle/10394/15979/Jnl Pharm Sciences-2015-In Press.pdf?sequence=1

Da Silva, N.D.L., Batistella, C., Filho, R.M., Maciel, M.R.W. (N.D.). Dertermination of Castor Oil Molecular Weight by Vapour Pressure Osmometry Technique [PDF Document]. Retrieved from:
http://www.aidic.it/icheap10/webpapers/470DaSilva.pdf

5 Trommer, H., & Neubert, R.H.H. (2006). Overcoming the Stratum Corneum: The Modulation of Skin Penetration. Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, 19, 106-121.
http://www.nanobiotec.iqm.unicamp.br/download/Trommer_skin penetration-2006rev.pdf

6 Kircik, L.H., Bikowski, J.B., Cohen, D.E., Draelos, Z.D., & Hebert, A. (2010). Vehicles Matter. Supplement to Practical Dermatology, 1-15.
http://bmctoday.net/vehiclesmatter/pdfs/0310.pdf

Last edited:

sweden

My Regimen
Reaction score
Warning: don't to mix Castor oil with Rosemary oil in DMSO.

When I apply 1mL of each in my hand palm the substance gets really warm. Yesterday I applied it to my scalp and it burned like hell, then instantly hairs were fallen out. At least 20 hairs in less then 30 seconds after applying the mixture! I grabbed for the soap and washed it all out immediately.
No issues when I use them solo with at least 4 hours in between. I definitely need to read a lot more on Rosemary oil.

@sweden: Do you have information if Ethanol is a good penetration enhancer for Caster Oil? How long does it take for you to have a fairly acceptable non-sticky scalp after applying the mixture?

I don't like the DMSO. It melts plastic in the same way as thinner. Some drops already burned very ugly in my brand new beard trimmer. I can't be thinking of using this stuff for years.

@MindfluX I don't have anything specific unfortunately but anecdotal evidence from other users suggests ~30% works. Swiss seemed to play around with different concentrations of DMSO and ethanol (95%+) for castor oil and 30% was the magic number he suggested using for both as well. Wonder what caused that reaction... really doesn't sound too great.

Ethanol at 30% is absorbing relatively well for me, I apply it 15 mins before going to bed so can't really comment on when it looks non-sticky, but a lot of it sticks to hairs and is still there in the morning - seems like there's always some residual stickiness left, probably just have to wash it out tbh so applying at night seems to be best option.

I've ordered some DMSO, so will try mixing that w/ CO to see which absorbs better and quicker.

Rosemary oil could be an interesting cheap addition, I'll need to do a bit more reading up on it first. I quickly scanned that research paper you posted on carnosic acid (Rosemary oil) and they used 10mg/kg body weight orally to produce those effects. Are you just taking it topically or orally as well? Last quetion as well, how long is it taking Rosemary oil to absorb for you? (I assume you don't use any penetration enhancer, it's comfortably below the 500 dalton rule)

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm using this cheap topical, as of last night, for the acne on my upper back:

9319598427016_LL_1.jpg

http://www.amcal.com.au/kenkay-zinc...=&pmt=&plid=&gclid=CJSm07vR3c0CFYaWvAoduukNWA

I wonder if it would be useful for hair.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Looks to be fowl egg and chick remnants in it as well. :eek:

David do you know offhand which penetrating vehicle Kenkay is using in this product,
maybe a solvent like DMSO?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks to be fowl egg and chick remnants in it as well. :eek:

David do you know offhand which penetrating vehicle Kenkay is using in this product,
maybe a solvent like DMSO?

On the bottle:
zinc oxide 7.5%
castor oil 50%
contains phenoxyethanol & hydroxybenzoates
No added peanut oil
colouing free
lanolin free

I can't find the info. I sent them an email and asked. I'll probably never hear a response.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
On the bottle:
zinc oxide 7.5%
castor oil 50%
contains phenoxyethanol & hydroxybenzoates
No added peanut oil
colouing free
lanolin free

I can't find the info. I sent them an email and asked. I'll probably never hear a response.
Thanks for your effort. I'll try to contact them myself a little later.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Thanks for your effort. I'll try to contact them myself a little later.
I wasn't up to contacting them directly now, so I shot them a review instead.
We'll know in a few days at least whether or not they take any action. -)
Be the first to review this product
Filter by
Filter by
Active Filters

1. ★★★★★ ★★★★★ 2 out of 5 stars.
    you
    · a few seconds ago
    Ingredient list (primary +other)recommendation

ASAP I am interested in ascertaining COMPLETE list of ingredients for your KENKAY dual purpose Zinc and Castor Oil Cream, however I am unable to do so. Access to this detail will be advantageous to ALL parties. I am eager to learn how this important information can be obtained or your compliance to my request expeditiously delivered. Sincerest thanks in advance for your serious attention into this matter.

Thank you for submitting a review! Your review is being moderated and may take up to a few days to appear.

Cosmoproink

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First of all it would be important to understand the reason why your hair is falling in first place.
Where is it falling, all over your head, or only on the top area( receding, front, crown). If one or more of those areas are thinning than your problem is genetic, you may appear to have Male Baldness Pattern. This type of hair loss is caused by Dehidrotestosterone, and it is toxic to the follicles around top of your scalp, most of the cases. THis type of hair loss is progressive and the older you get the more hair you loose. If you are younger and all of a sudden you are suffering from stress, emotional trauma, or not sleeping or eating well for some years, you can get bald faster.
If you have this type of hair loss Castor Oil will not help you.
Buy a Laser Band, or a Laser Comb, and use Minoxydil 5%, or buy a Natural DHT blocker, you can find on Amazon.com.

If you are working out and taking testosterone, you will loose more hair, in case you are prone to develop DHT ( DHT is formed out of Testosterone). THe more testosterone you have, the more DHT you will have, and less hair you will have.

If you are loosing hair because of poor nutrition or temporary stress , you would be shedding either all over your head:
IN this case RELAX, do some YOGA, and eat right: Salmon, Spinach, Avocados, ALmonds. RElax, relax, relax. DO NOT STRESS!

If you lost your hair loss in round patches, you got ALopecia Areata, that's your immune system reacting to some sort of loss you had, trauma, anxiety.....Alopecia Areata is hard to treat, my older sister had it since she was 13. She is 46 and it became Alopecia TOtalis ( She lost all her hair). Emotional stress, hurt, trauma....can cause that.

Castor Oil....may feed your hair, that is already grown outside of your head.....by the way,hair is dead protein. Castor Oil may feed that hair, and make it stronger, but it won't prevent hair loss in genetic cases, Alopecia areata, or stress related hairloss.

Hope this info helps.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First of all it would be important to understand the reason why your hair is falling in first place.
Where is it falling, all over your head, or only on the top area( receding, front, crown). If one or more of those areas are thinning than your problem is genetic, you may appear to have Male Baldness Pattern. This type of hair loss is caused by Dehidrotestosterone, and it is toxic to the follicles around top of your scalp, most of the cases. THis type of hair loss is progressive and the older you get the more hair you loose. If you are younger and all of a sudden you are suffering from stress, emotional trauma, or not sleeping or eating well for some years, you can get bald faster.
If you have this type of hair loss Castor Oil will not help you.
Buy a Laser Band, or a Laser Comb, and use Minoxydil 5%, or buy a Natural DHT blocker, you can find on Amazon.com.

If you are working out and taking testosterone, you will loose more hair, in case you are prone to develop DHT ( DHT is formed out of Testosterone). THe more testosterone you have, the more DHT you will have, and less hair you will have.

If you are loosing hair because of poor nutrition or temporary stress , you would be shedding either all over your head:
IN this case RELAX, do some YOGA, and eat right: Salmon, Spinach, Avocados, ALmonds. RElax, relax, relax. DO NOT STRESS!

If you lost your hair loss in round patches, you got ALopecia Areata, that's your immune system reacting to some sort of loss you had, trauma, anxiety.....Alopecia Areata is hard to treat, my older sister had it since she was 13. She is 46 and it became Alopecia TOtalis ( She lost all her hair). Emotional stress, hurt, trauma....can cause that.

Castor Oil....may feed your hair, that is already grown outside of your head.....by the way,hair is dead protein. Castor Oil may feed that hair, and make it stronger, but it won't prevent hair loss in genetic cases, Alopecia areata, or stress related hairloss.

Hope this info helps.

If you're a troll, ...

Then you're really good !

Regimen: Yoga, lasercomb, and spinach :)