Castor Oil As A Hair Loss Treatment

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey I know this was discussed in another thread, but a mod asked that it be made into a separate thread... I used it today for the first time, but it just gets tangled into my hair rather than getting it directly onto the scalp... I don't mind it because as others have stated its super thick, but to me it almost acts as a pomade so I like it... I just want to make sure I'm using it correctly though, so anyone that knows of any tips, or tricks to applying it so it does go directly to the scalp I'm all ears... Thanks!

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Hey thomps1523,
You may try adding a drop or 2 or warm water to c.o. In my experience anyway this actually breaks down the oil density some or acts as a thinner. Simply add and massage in the palms of your hands and go.
It's always an advantage (using topicals) to wear left over hair short.
Take care.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
I have short hair now, but it just seems to glue into my hair and rub all into it before I get any to the scalp... I'll try adding a little warm water though... How much CO do you typically use?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
1x daily on average and consistent application of 3 mls.
Four months since c.o. introduction and I'm disappointed that I can not report any positive changes (so far).
I have severe frontal hair loss along with rapidly thinning sides so high expectations were never in play. I tried oral c.o. and was doing well for approx. 1 month (or so I thought) until I developed a physical aversion to it so badly I literally can no longer
stomach it.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
1x daily on average and consistent application of 3 mls.
Four months since c.o. introduction and I'm disappointed that I can not report any positive changes (so far).
I have severe frontal hair loss along with rapidly thinning sides so high expectations were never in play. I tried oral c.o. and was doing well for approx. 1 month (or so I thought) until I developed a physical aversion to it so badly I literally can no longer
stomach it.

I was under the impression topical was more effective than oral, but obviously everyone reacts differently.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Castor oil won't mix with arm water or even hot water, it's super hydrophobic. It probably won't absorb through skin well either. I gave up on topical application, just too messy. You need to use ethanol or DMSO or something like that as a carrier. Oral should be better otherwise.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Castor oil won't mix with arm water or even hot water, it's super hydrophobic. It probably won't absorb through skin well either. I gave up on topical application, just too messy. You need to use ethanol or DMSO or something like that as a carrier. Oral should be better otherwise.

Do you take it orally then? Will it mix with minoxidil if you do it topically?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Another common approach is to apply it to damp hair after showering, the wet hair will allow you to distribute it more evenly.
It is notoriously viscous however very fast (air) drying.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess my question is if absorption is key, would it be better to use something different than water or grape seed oil?

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im having mixed results with castor oil. On one hand it seems to help my shedding. Every morning I do a shed test by vigorously putting my hands thru my hair and counting the hairs in the sink. Normal day I lose 35-50 hairs during this 1 minute test.

If I use castor oil the night before, I usually only see like 15 come out. So it would seem to help...
My only doubt comes from the fact that my hair is still looking thinner by the day. So if im seeing less shedding, then why is my loss not being curbed also?

The only thing I can think of is when I use castor oil, then wash out, it takes multiple washes to get it out. So I wonder if the multiple washes is removing the loose hairs then instead of in the morning. Hence making it seem like im shedding less (in he morning) when actually im shedding the same amount but I just don't notice it as much in the shower.
Does that make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

If my hair loss had not progressed in the month since using castor oil id say it 100% helps, but unfortunately it looks worse since ive been using it.
BTW im mixing Castor Oil, leaf lard and a few drops of peppermint oil

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Im having mixed results with castor oil. On one hand it seems to help my shedding. Every morning I do a shed test by vigorously putting my hands thru my hair and counting the hairs in the sink. Normal day I lose 35-50 hairs during this 1 minute test.

If I use castor oil the night before, I usually only see like 15 come out. So it would seem to help...
My only doubt comes from the fact that my hair is still looking thinner by the day. So if im seeing less shedding, then why is my loss not being curbed also?

The only thing I can think of is when I use castor oil, then wash out, it takes multiple washes to get it out. So I wonder if the multiple washes is removing the loose hairs then instead of in the morning. Hence making it seem like im shedding less (in he morning) when actually im shedding the same amount but I just don't notice it as much in the shower.
Does that make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

If my hair loss had not progressed in the month since using castor oil id say it 100% helps, but unfortunately it looks worse since ive been using it.
BTW im mixing Castor Oil, leaf lard and a few drops of peppermint oil

With regards to scalp absorption what are you guys doing? Sounds like there are several ways to get it a little more manageable to apply, but as it was mentioned earlier isn't absorption key?

abcdefg

Reaction score
I thought someone had a thread about castor oil basically being too large of a molecule to even penetrate the scalp so it just sits there and basically does nothing.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use minoxidil then use a separate minoxidil dropper to apply drops off it on different parts of the head. Then rub it in with my fingers. Try that strategy maybe.

It seems to be working.. Though with all the other things i'm using its tough to say definitively.

Optimistic1

Reaction score
minoxidil and Castor Oil

I tried to post earlier but I guess the post never went through. I am a diffuse thinner and just bought a bottle of castor oil (not really expecting much tbh) and I wanted to get a little insight on the application of it. I apply minoxidil 1x daily at night and would like to add Castor at night as well because I don't want to put on topicals in the morning. Any reason why it would be a problem to apply castor oil an hour or two after applying minoxidil? Would it decrease minoxidil effectiveness for any reason?

tress_dreams

Reaction score
Public Service Announcement: be careful with contamination and storage of your castor oil!

I moved some castor (Now brand) into a small glass bottle with ml dropper. I travel a good bit so I needed a smaller size. After 3 or 4 weeks of storing it in this glass bottle I noticed mold growth in the bottom of the glass bottle. Almost puked in my mouth knowing that I had been ingesting contaminated castor.

I did not see any similar growth in the plastic bottle. I now only use the glass bottle on trips then clean and leave empty till next trip. Also don't let your mouth touch the dropper that you place back into the plastic bottle. So yeah, that was gross and dumb.

I am seeing regrowth in temples now, but I can't say if it is at all related to castor. I'm using too many things and started nearly all at the same time. So my results are not indicative of anything to anyone. What follows is what I like to call the "**** it all I refuse to go bald regimen"

finasteride .25mg every 12 hoursMinox (Rogain Foam & Lipogaine) EOD
Castor Oil 1ML Oral
Castor Oil + DMSO Topical nightly (haven't been good about doing this)
Stemoxydine daily
Biotin oral supplement
Temple wounding derma-stamp + LiCl EOW (only done this twice...kinda sketchy)
Retin-A twice weekly (opposite week of wounding)
Deltacrin