Can't put weight on

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I think HTGT is right about this. I remember reading about it somewhere. It takes a lot of thought power to put out maximum muscle power. But you can day dream while doing light weights and not going to failure. Like riding a bike. Cardio is good for your CNS.

trust me on this...the cns doesnt get taxed very easily...there are millions of people do hard physical labor 10 hours a day...

if you constantly are traing all your sets to failure and doin hard compound lifts at close to your 1 rep max....not eating right and not getting ~8hrs of sleep you will over train..

if you suspect you are over training google the term and check out some of the symptoms...

also, if you are continually adding weight and/or reps every week and continually making progress you are not over training...every workout you should strive to add a little more weight or an extra rep or two...If you arnt something is not right and most LIKELY its your diet.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
over training is some bullshit that started spreading like wild fire within the last decade....I think people use it as an excuse to be lazy..

If you mentioned the term in the 60s, 70s, or 80s people would have laughed at you.

powersam

Reaction score
always thought overtraining was bullshit, glad to hear other people do to.

when i workout i lift till failure with my heavy weights, then do it again with my light weights. then wait an hour or so and do it again. i do that twice a week maybe, always adding a little weight. and i've seen really fast gains. my flatmates boyfriend is a personal trainer and he always cusses me out about it, but even he has been impressed by how much defined muscle i've been able to put on, far faster than any of his clients ever have. oddly i;ve kinda become attached to the muscle ache the next day, if i don't have serious ache the next day i feel like i didnt work hard enough.

but i eat like a freakin horse as well.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
powersam said:

when i workout i lift till failure with my heavy weights, then do it again with my light weights. then wait an hour or so and do it again. i do that twice a week maybe, always adding a little weight. and i've seen really fast gains. my flatmates boyfriend is a personal trainer and he always cusses me out about it, but even he has been impressed by how much defined muscle i've been able to put on, far faster than any of his clients ever have. oddly i;ve kinda become attached to the muscle ache the next day, if i don't have serious ache the next day i feel like i didnt work hard enough.

Yah...if you are making gains dont change anything...dont fix what isnt broken.

The ache or Delayed OnSet Muscle Soreness (doms) isnt really a good indictor of how good your work out was. Some muscles dont really evne get it ( i rarely get it in my bi's or shoulders, but i do get petty bad in my tris, chest, and legs). I know everyone likes to feel sore the next day but I wouldnt go by that....its more important to continually add weight to your lifts...that lets you know for sure that your getting stronger.

CCS

Reaction score
powersam said:

how many sets do you do (typically), and how much rest between sets? Do you do a full body workout on the same day? Interval, or one muscle group at a time?

HTGT, going to failure each time won't tax the CNS too much?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
powersam said:

how many sets do you do (typically), and how much rest between sets? Do you do a full body workout on the same day? Interval, or one muscle group at a time?

HTGT, going to failure each time won't tax the CNS too much?

personally...i have gone to failure on EVERY set and Ive never had problems....I also eat pretty well and get a good 8hrs of sleep a night.

I think it would be better off is you didnt go to failure on your first couple sets ( but go close to failure...like a rep or 2 shy) but DO go to failure on your last set...

The key...like ive been saying is to make sure that every week you are adding either reps or weight to your working sets....if you are doing this then you are at least getting stronger...NOW if you are eating enough not only will you be getting stronger but bigger as well.

CCS

Reaction score
I heard if you go to failure a lot, your risk of injury is much higher than if you do 5 sets of the same number of reps, hitting failure on the last one.

also, with that method, you can do more total reps than you can if you go to failure, rest, then go to failure again.

I realize is someone does 3x6 of a 200 pounds, and stops, that means they left the gym being able to still lift 195, and they could have worked harder had they lowered the weight after that and only left when they could not lift 100 pounds.

When I first started lifting in at age 15, I could bench 45 pounds. I did 3 max sets, usually of 13-18 reps, MWF. But the end of the summer (9th grade), I could bench over 95 pounds. Might have been repping 95. Don't remember. That could mean that going to failure each time is good, or it could mean beginners respond to anything.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
I heard if you go to failure a lot, your risk of injury is much higher than if you do 5 sets of the same number of reps, hitting failure on the last one.

also, with that method, you can do more total reps than you can if you go to failure, rest, then go to failure again.

I realize is someone does 3x6 of a 200 pounds, and stops, that means they left the gym being able to still lift 195, and they could have worked harder had they lowered the weight after that and only left when they could not lift 100 pounds.

When I first started lifting in at age 15, I could bench 45 pounds. I did 3 max sets, usually of 13-18 reps, MWF. But the end of the summer (9th grade), I could bench over 95 pounds. Might have been repping 95. Don't remember. That could mean that going to failure each time is good, or it could mean beginners respond to anything.

beginners do respond to anything and make the quickest gains.

When i lift i pretty much go to failure on MOST of my sets....but that doesnt mean im completely done after a work out....lets say i do 3 sets of 4 at 195....Im probably gonna need help on the last rep or 2...which means i went to FAILURE for that set....However, i coudl lower the weight to 135 and do more reps if i wanted to....but there is no reason to. YOu dont have to completely DESTROY your muscle in order for it to grow. Give it a workout where you are pushing it pretty well...this provides the STIMULUS for it to grow...the other MORE important part is your diet...MAKE sure that right after your workout (within 30mins) you are getting enough protein and COMPLEX carbs in your diet as your body is in a catabolic state and your glycogen levels are very low.

G

you guys have no idea.. try training 5 days a week we will see how long you will last ...how about we reintroduce this post in one year and see if any of you are still training ..

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
rambotera said:
you guys have no idea.. try training 5 days a week we will see how long you will last ...how about we reintroduce this post in one year and see if any of you are still training ..

ive done it for over a year...no problems...there are books on splits that require you using a 5 day split...

How do construction works do hard physical labor for 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week?

you're telling me you cant train 45mins a day 5x a week?

G

Construction workers?? You talk like there people to aspire to be like...Have you seen most construction workers?? they are mostly people with serious physical injurys because of there work..How common is it to see a healthy looking construction worker?? maybe 10% look healthy.. Also your talking sh*t again about overtraining being invented by lazy people... If 5 days a week training would give me the best results i would have stayed training 5 days a week like i did when i first started training..Training isnt about gym attendance!!! Its about results!! your body needs days off to grow...you may have made some good gains training your way...But you would make even better gains if your body had time to recupirate and grow properly..Real growth occurs outside the gym !!! Lifting is only the stimulus...Now im sick of debating this with you ...You probably think 5 day training is the best way to train because you see it in magazines like muscle and fitness, am i right?? Well have you also ever seen a natural looking guy in any of thoese magazines?? NO! there all on steroids... And you expect people on a hairloss forum who are on propecia and avodart to be able to train like them??!! Man people who use propecia and avodart are already seriously disadvantaged when it comes to weight training ,dont make it harder for them ...As for you chemistry student listen to this guy ,What do i care ..Id love to see where you are 1 or 2 years from now..My guess is given up on training because of lack of results or overtraining .

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
rambotera said:
Construction workers?? You talk like there people to aspire to be like...Have you seen most construction workers?? they are mostly people with serious physical injurys because of there work..How common is it to see a healthy looking construction worker?? maybe 10% look healthy.. Also your talking $#iT again about overtraining being invented by lazy people... If 5 days a week training would give me the best results i would have stayed training 5 days a week like i did when i first started training..Training isnt about gym attendance!!! Its about results!! your body needs days off to grow...you may have made some good gains training your way...But you would make even better gains if your body had time to recupirate and grow properly..Real growth occurs outside the gym !!! Lifting is only the stimulus...Now im sick of debating this with you ...You probably think 5 day training is the best way to train because you see it in magazines like muscle and fitness, am i right?? Well have you also ever seen a natural looking guy in any of thoese magazines?? NO! there all on steroids... And you expect people on a hairloss forum who are on propecia and avodart to be able to train like them??!! Man people who use propecia and avodart are already seriously disadvantaged when it comes to weight training ,dont make it harder for them ...As for you chemistry student listen to this guy ,What do i care ..Id love to see where you are 1 or 2 years from now..My guess is given up on training because of lack of results or overtraining .

Really...you have no idea what your talkin about.

peopel on propecia are disadvantaged...how so? cuz of dht levels? dht is not anabolic...it does nothing for muscles...if anything we have SLIGHT edge so your test is elevated ~15%....stop spouting off your garbage...propecia will not hinder your results

I actually do a 3 day split right now....but ive done 5 days with no problems.

I dont read any of those magazines they are all garbage....mens fitness and muscle mag its all garbage.

There is no best way to train....the best way to train is to make sure your having fun and consistently adding weight to the bar.

The only way people will quit after a 1 year or 2 is if the workouts get boring and mundane...thats why i advocate mixing things up every few months.

CCS

Reaction score
rambo, how can you say HTGT is not taking days off? He works each muscle group once a week. That is 6 days off for each muscle group. Are you saying you will overtrain your chest if you do calf raises the day after chest, and that it is better to take a day of rest between?

G

PFFT your in denial mate .Propecia is a disadvantage you dope ...And that bullshit about it giving you a 15% increase is just that ,bullshit !! It might increase your testosterone at the begining but it goes right back down within weeks!! DHT does play a part in muscle growth and especially muscle definition you f*****g idiot how dumb are you!!??? DHT is testosterone at its most potent form !!! as for propecia again,You only say it doesnt give a disadvantage because your on it.. Maybe thats why youve been training so long and you weigh 160 pounds...And im guessing your bodyfats not that flash hot ever is it mate?? :lol: maybe you should use topical finasteride ??? OHH I FORGOT THERE NO SUCH THING AS STATED BY YOU!! :roll:

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
rambo, how can you say HTGT is not taking days off? He works each muscle group once a week. That is 6 days off for each muscle group. Are you saying you will overtrain your chest if you do calf raises the day after chest, and that it is better to take a day of rest between?

No i dont workout 5x a week...i dont do that...i said it would be fine...right now im doing

mon- chest and traps
tues-off
wed-legs
thurs-shoulders and back
fri- bi and tri.

G

man i could care less what you do this convo is over your just too anoying

CCS

Reaction score
propecia does not lower serum DHT levels by much. Muscles don't even have 5ar in them. Even if they do, it is probably 5ar1, not 2. Not all body parts use DHT. Skin and nerves use 5ar1, hair and prostate use 5ar2, and not sure what the other organs use. I read on a body building forum about hormones that muscles do not manufacture DHT.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
rambotera said:
PFFT your in denial mate .Propecia is a disadvantage you dope ...And that bullshit about it giving you a 15% increase is just that ,bullshit !! It might increase your testosterone at the begining but it goes right back down within weeks!! DHT does play a part in muscle growth and especially muscle definition you f****ing idiot how dumb are you!!??? DHT is testosterone at its most potent form !!! as for propecia again,You only say it doesnt give a disadvantage because your on it.. Maybe thats why youve been training so long and you weigh 160 pounds...And im guessing your bodyfats not that flash hot ever is it mate?? :lol: maybe you should use topical finasteride ??? OHH I FORGOT THERE NO SUCH THING AS STATED BY YOU!! :roll:

listen you stupid fuckk...i never said there was no such thing as topical finasteride...what i said was i didnt think it would work...why dont you cut and paste where i said that. prove it.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
rambotera said:
PFFT your in denial mate .Propecia is a disadvantage you dope ...And that bullshit about it giving you a 15% increase is just that ,bullshit !! It might increase your testosterone at the begining but it goes right back down within weeks!! DHT does play a part in muscle growth and especially muscle definition you f****ing idiot how dumb are you!!??? DHT is testosterone at its most potent form !!! as for propecia again,You only say it doesnt give a disadvantage because your on it.. Maybe thats why youve been training so long and you weigh 160 pounds...And im guessing your bodyfats not that flash hot ever is it mate?? :lol: maybe you should use topical finasteride ??? OHH I FORGOT THERE NO SUCH THING AS STATED BY YOU!! :roll:

I dont want to weight anymore than 165...im not trying to be a meat head..maybe you are...i dont consider myself a bodybuilder by any means...however i do know a few bodybuilders...that have competed.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
rambotera said:

read the booklet that came with propecia the spike in your test stays up...it doesnt return to normal until you quit propecia....read the f*****g booklet that came with that propecia bottle you moron.