Can't pull the trigger on finasteride - please help

AnxiousHairGuy

Reaction score
Yeah most do here in the US, because you can get cheap generics for like 9 dollars at target/walmart whereas its much more online because of shipping.

Same here. One of the reasons I asked was because I know for me personally having my doctor prescribe it for me was reassuring since I trust him to look out for my health.

mandatswack

Reaction score
Did you slowly get on to it or did you start right off with 1.25? And is it even possible to split a pill into anything less than 4ths? With a pill cutter could I split it into 6ths or 8ths?

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you slowly get on to it or did you start right off with 1.25? And is it even possible to split a pill into anything less than 4ths? With a pill cutter could I split it into 6ths or 8ths?

1.25mg is recommended. If your really worried a out sides take it every other day. Splitting into less than 4th would be very hard and you would most likely end up crumbleing the pills altogether

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Update :

- Hair feels better. This is probably because of the Regenpure DR I have been using.
- Seems like less is falling out
- Zero sides at all UNTIL a few days ago

Sides:

- Starting signs of gyno? I have tiny little glands in breast (each side). Could have been there before I started finasteride I'm not sure. I have been poking myself a lot doing self-examination so now I have sensitivity/heaviness in nipples/pecs. Going to quit doing this for a couple days and keep an eye on this. Will have to quit if I determine I am not just being paranoid

- Woke up today with ball-ache. Have had a dull pain in my left nut all day. This seems common, if it goes away I will not worry, if it does not I will have to quit.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Update:

- No more ball ache.
- Hair is noticeably better already
- Still worried about gyno warning signs. Going to see doctor to determine if its actually gyno or all in my head.

Spirou

Reaction score
did you go to the doctor? I wanna start finasteride or minoxidil but I'm not so sure of it yet.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Not yet. Still waiting on advice of what type of doctor to see. Also started thinking about how weird it is to go ask a doctor about my nipples.

Keeping an eye on it for now and still hoping it was in my head. The pain/sensitivity has gotten much better since I stopped checking every second, but still have tiny glands there (they mighta been there before..)

- - - Updated - - -

did you go to the doctor? I wanna start finasteride or minoxidil but I'm not so sure of it yet.

I did a LOT of reading and looking into finasteride before starting. It seems there is a very small risk you could have very bad sides that will be persistent even after quitting. There is a small chance you will get sides in which you can quit and youll be fine. There is a large chance you will take finasteride and get no sides.

I hate (d) the idea of messing with my hormones, but as I started losing more hair I realized I cared about that more and justified ****ing with my hormones by looking at girls on birth control, dudes who take roids, ect..(maybe bad examples).

At the end of the day there is some risk in taking finasteride, but unfortunately if you want to keep your hair its the only option. Min will slow it down but is only so effective.

So far, I am happy I went on finasteride. No sides as of yet except nut ache which went away and maybe start of gyno although I'm starting to think it is in my head as it hasnt gotten any worse and is pretty rare.

I know I am doing everything in my power to stop from balding so I stress about it less. No more burning crown or counting the hairs in my fingers.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do..

firstpost

Banned
Reaction score
Not yet. Still waiting on advice of what type of doctor to see. Also started thinking about how weird it is to go ask a doctor about my nipples.

Keeping an eye on it for now and still hoping it was in my head. The pain/sensitivity has gotten much better since I stopped checking every second, but still have tiny glands there (they mighta been there before..)

- - - Updated - - -

I did a LOT of reading and looking into finasteride before starting. It seems there is a very small risk you could have very bad sides that will be persistent even after quitting. There is a small chance you will get sides in which you can quit and youll be fine. There is a large chance you will take finasteride and get no sides.

I hate (d) the idea of messing with my hormones, but as I started losing more hair I realized I cared about that more and justified ****ing with my hormones by looking at girls on birth control, dudes who take roids, ect..(maybe bad examples).

At the end of the day there is some risk in taking finasteride, but unfortunately if you want to keep your hair its the only option. Min will slow it down but is only so effective.

So far, I am happy I went on finasteride. No sides as of yet except nut ache which went away and maybe start of gyno although I'm starting to think it is in my head as it hasnt gotten any worse and is pretty rare.

I know I am doing everything in my power to stop from balding so I stress about it less. No more burning crown or counting the hairs in my fingers.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do..

Squeeze your nipple and see if any liquid comes out.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Update:

Been on a month and a week and I can already feel improvement in hair. Not sure if its from Regenpure DR or finasteride.

I stopped shedding when I first started, for the last few weeks I have been shedding a bit more, but my head doesn't look as bad somehow. I think (hope) this is because new hairs are coming in and covering the scalp so that my balding areas (diffuse from crown) aren't as noticeable.

Also still worried about sides from finasteride (possible gyno + slight fatigue / possible all in my head) to the point where I am not sure it's worth it. Going to try to stick it out and see how it goes.

Will hopefully post some before/after pictures depending on my progress.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Update :

2 months on now. Hair seems a bit better but not sure, still shedding but it doesn't feel too thin. No sides other than some occasional nut ache and maybe gyno.

This is weird to say but : As an 'experiment' I started constantly checking my upper pec, towards armpit, instead of my nipple when getting paranoid about gyno. I started getting a little pain/sensitivity up there, so I am hoping that is all it was. I have no visible change in my chest but tiny glands are still there. Keeping an eye on it for now.

Will update again in a month maybe with some pictures

br1

Reaction score
You're poking your lymph nodes.. They go all the way from the nipples to the armpit, just like you described. They're small and round.

Ebony

Reaction score
Update :

2 months on now. Hair seems a bit better but not sure, still shedding but it doesn't feel too thin. No sides other than some occasional nut ache and maybe gyno.

This is weird to say but : As an 'experiment' I started constantly checking my upper pec, towards armpit, instead of my nipple when getting paranoid about gyno. I started getting a little pain/sensitivity up there, so I am hoping that is all it was. I have no visible change in my chest but tiny glands are still there. Keeping an eye on it for now.

Will update again in a month maybe with some pictures

I say you should be less worried about the side effects unless it's glaringly obvious, like your sex drive going into free-fall. You don't want to trigger a negative placebo effect. You also can't be blaming everything that occurs to you while on finasteride to finasteride. Plenty of skinnyfat dudes get gyno without ever hearing about finasteride.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
You're poking your lymph nodes.. They go all the way from the nipples to the armpit, just like you described. They're small and round.

A while backed I looked at some anatomy and I don't think they are lymph nodes. I think I had a tiny bit of gyno before starting finasteride that I just never noticed until I went looking

- - - Updated - - -

I say you should be less worried about the side effects unless it's glaringly obvious, like your sex drive going into free-fall. You don't want to trigger a negative placebo effect. You also can't be blaming everything that occurs to you while on finasteride to finasteride. Plenty of skinnyfat dudes get gyno without ever hearing about finasteride.

Yeah trust me I am trying. I tend to overthink stuff so naturally I was putting everything under a microscope when I first started finasteride. I have had no sexual sides at all, just nut ache and gyno paranoia.

Last few weeks I have been able to put it out of my mind and forget that I am taking finasteride. I honestly believe its very safe despite all the **** you read on the internet, but there is still that nagging 'what-if' voice..