Can't pull the trigger on finasteride - please help

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there mate,

I don't feel it's necessary for me to link to any studies to prove that the side effects are 2% chance, those official studies are available for all to see and have been for a while. It really comes down to you providing me with a link to some official studies to support your theory that the figure is actually higher than 2%. Remember you are the one doubting the "official figures", not me, thus you need to provide alternative official study material to support your reason for doubting the figures.

It's not that relevant in the scale of things though; I was scared to take finasteride just like you, I also took 0.5mg per day to begin with just like you was thinking about doing. Us balding men all go through this phase before taking a long-term drug therapy like finasteride, it's normal and I'd be more worried if you didn't give a rats-behind about starting finasteride. Just don't be so hard on yourself because if you let it grab your mind too much then its almost certain that you will imagine at least some form of side effects.

I love my hair (well what's left of it), I wish I had started finasteride 5 years ago, I'm just trying to help people not have those same regrets. If I get sides from finasteride I will be straight on here reporting them, however I don't think I will be doubting the figures though, because the internet weighs heavily on complaining and trolling, it always has and always will, so it's not a fair view-point (of pretty much anything). Remember; nobody goes online to commend how great their Tesco chicken fillet tasted the other night, however if they had food poisoning from it then you can guarantee they'd be announcing it all over the net in any which way possible.

I wasn't asking to you post studies for some debate on this. I actually would just like to read studies to re-affirm that 2% figure for my own peace of mind as I just started myself. Searching studies is tedious, and I'm lazy =).

The truth is that there has been a lot of research in past decade that show this number could be and probably is much higher. There are also a bunch of studies which reinforce the <2% number from the original trials. Finasteride is still not well understood which is why it's a risk. Perhaps I gravitate towards the former because I am a worst case scenario type of person. Anyway I hope you are right and best of luck to you, I will do the same.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wasn't asking to you post studies for some debate on this. I actually would just like to read studies to re-affirm that 2% figure for my own peace of mind as I just started myself. The truth is that there has been a lot of research in past decade that show this number could be and probably is much higher. Finasteride is still not well understood which is why it's a risk. Anyway I hope you are right and best of luck to you, I will do the same.

Fair enough mate, I just don't know of any credible studies recent or otherwise that confirm or contradict the 2% sides figure other than the original trial sheets. Yes, long-term wise it's hard to say, long-term (referring to say 40 years of continuous daily use), in that sense we are of course guinea pigs.

Here could be a good place to start: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=finasteride

Best of luck to you too fella.

Anonymous99

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd chuck in my two cents to the initial question of this thread.

I started Propecia/finasteride two years ago and I'm glad I did! It filled in alot of thinning and made me alot happier. However yes I had side effects. Testicle pains, different texture to semen and less sexual desire. The worst was the first couple of months.

So six months ago I got sick of it and cut down to half a Propecia pill everyday. Most of the sides have gone and I'm back to normal! However my front started thinning out again, so half a propecia pill in my opinion is less effective but still works and has practically no sides. Give half a pill daily a try

Myhairbegone I totally understand the dreams I sometimes get those too. Hair loss is not fun especially at my age of 25 but it is what it is. I'm sure you have positive and negative days like me too. If it gets to the point where we shave it one day atleast we will be past it and done with it! :D

Also my Doctor gave me a script for Propecia.. I'm not sure if buying such cheap finasteride is legit? Maybe it's different in the US

25? Hahaha mate try being f*cking sixteen and suffering from male pattern baldness. You guys have it easy, not to mention there are people with DPA. I'm 16 and I just bought myself 30 tablets of Finpecia 5mg (looking for it to last me 4 months). It honestly makes me laugh when I hear people complaining about the traits they've been given when they're like 24/25 years old and complaining about balding saying why it has to be them. No one wants it, some just fortunately get it in their mid or early twenties rather than late teens

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
25? Hahaha mate try being f*cking sixteen and suffering from male pattern baldness. You guys have it easy, not to mention there are people with DPA. I'm 16 and I just bought myself 30 tablets of Finpecia 5mg (looking for it to last me 4 months). It honestly makes me laugh when I hear people complaining about the traits they've been given when they're like 24/25 years old and complaining about balding saying why it has to be them. No one wants it, some just fortunately get it in their mid or early twenties rather than late teens

Sucks for everyone man. I would be careful taking that **** as such a young age. There must be a reason you need to be 18 to take it .

- - - Updated - - -

WTF are pfs ? And what exactly is chemical castration sounds a bit far-fetched haha

propeciahelp.com

A lot of very bad side effects in a small percentage of people who use/used finasteride

br1

Reaction score
Every 3 months seems quite exaggerated.. Once a year if you feel alright is fine.. Unless you feel you have sides or something like that, then twice a year seems reasonable..

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
If I'm not happy with where I am at in 6 months to a year I will add Rogaine.
In my opinion, do both finasteride and minoxidil together asap. When I was on just finasteride, my results were pretty good. When I added minoxidil consistently, my results were amazing.

finasteride + minoxidil is like 1 + 1 = 3

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, do both finasteride and minoxidil together asap. When I was on just finasteride, my results were pretty good. When I added minoxidil consistently, my results were amazing.

finasteride + minoxidil is like 1 + 1 = 3

I know I would have better results. But at this point I can't commit to putting that on my head everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you who got hit with sides while taking finasteride....how long until the sides hit you?

I have been on almost a week and no sides...I am wondering how long until I can consider myself 'out of the woods'

mandatswack

Reaction score
I know I would have better results. But at this point I can't commit to putting that on my head everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you who got hit with sides while taking finasteride....how long until the sides hit you?

I have been on almost a week and no sides...I am wondering how long until I can consider myself 'out of the woods'
Heard it was different for everyone, sides could come 5 years later but who would know if that was due to finasteride or not. A lot of people have also been hit with them right away so I would feel pretty good about it right now if I were you.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Heard it was different for everyone, sides could come 5 years later but who would know if that was due to finasteride or not. A lot of people have also been hit with them right away so I would feel pretty good about it right now if I were you.

Thanks. Going to try to put it out of my head. Will update you guys in a few months or so with my progress

slipnslide

Reaction score
I think the odds of sexual side effects seem a lot higher than 1%.

I was on finasteride for a few months 15 years ago and I still have mild ED problems.

For me, I'd rather be able to have sex than have hair and no sex. Either choice is depressing, but nothing is worse than not being able to get it up.

br1

Reaction score
I wasn't asking to you post studies for some debate on this. I actually would just like to read studies to re-affirm that 2% figure for my own peace of mind as I just started myself. Searching studies is tedious, and I'm lazy =).

The truth is that there has been a lot of research in past decade that show this number could be and probably is much higher. There are also a bunch of studies which reinforce the <2% number from the original trials. Finasteride is still not well understood which is why it's a risk. Perhaps I gravitate towards the former because I am a worst case scenario type of person. Anyway I hope you are right and best of luck to you, I will do the same.

ED issues (specially mild ones) are pretty common. On finasteride or not.