Can Minoxidil Darken Your Hair Color?

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long after starting minoxidil would you say it started growing in darker?

The reason I'm interested in this topic is because my hair color is very light and I wouldn't mind if it got a bit darker, I think it would give the appearance of more coverage.

I've been using Minoxidil since October 5th and I didn't notice it properly until maybe February/March-ish but I was probably too focused on combatting hair loss that it took me so long to notice so maybe a few months?

Minoxidil UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
We've heard this from clients. It isn't something we have any solid evidence of, just anecdotal, but Minoxidil liquid does seem to make hair appear darker - both of head and beard. As Vinn points out, it might give the appearance of more hair, which is hardly a bad thing, but the effect seems to be more pronounced on those with lighter hair, so could simply be that hair appears darker because it's covered in an oily liquid - just as a pale t-shirt will look darker when splashed with water.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed my minoxidil hair was darker than my natural hair,looked better imo. I quit in april due to sides though. I have very dark brown hair, the minoxidil hair that grew was darker.

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil definitely made my hair darker. I use oral so it darkened my whole head from medium brown to dark brown/black. My dad even commented on my hair just a few days ago asking if I dyed my hair black lol. I like that side effect, I used to dye my hair black when I was younger so having it like this without damaging my hair with hair dye is a huge bonus to me!

Theberber

My Regimen
Reaction score
my hair was browny-blonde, and it became dark brown in almost a month. did any of you notice when did your hair came back to its original color after the usage of minoxidil has stopped?

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
my hair was browny-blonde, and it became dark brown in almost a month. did any of you notice when did your hair came back to its original color after the usage of minoxidil has stopped?
I think most people keep on using Minoxidil since any gains is lost once you stop the medication ;)

Theberber

My Regimen
Reaction score
i use it for my beard. minoxidil doesnt treat the cause,it just activates new follicles, thats why they have to use it continously.but its not my case.
even if i use it on my beard, the hair on my scalp changed dramatically in 2-3 weeks.so i don t really like that.