Can Minoxidil Darken Your Hair Color?

vinn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read that this is a potential side effect, but I'd like to hear from current and past users. Did minoxidil change your hair color at all?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've read that this is a potential side effect, but I'd like to hear from current and past users. Did minoxidil change your hair color at all?

ya i think its keeping it from going more grey.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's what I think to.

I think Minoxidil makes my hair less gray.

The hair I don't use it on, is much grayer then my DHT inferior hair.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No. In my case.
I wish I had that side effect

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mine got slightly darker, likely only due to the slight thickening of my hair.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did it get darker just in the thinning areas where you applied minoxidil or did it darken over your whole head?

Yeah mostly just a darker hairline to be honest.

One person asked me if I dyed my hair though.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just read an article from the 2017 Hair Congress.

Some people do need concentrated Minoxidil amounts, who don't respond normally
to five percent. But they said it wasn't double, to get double the absorption.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It most certainly darkened my hair - I don’t know whether that’s from the improvement in hair density or my actual hair colour changing.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My Minoxidil treated hair grows much faster than the rest of my hair.

And I think that means that it is not absorbed systemically as much as people think.

It's the action that occurs when the follicles are absorbing it.

vinn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting update, I've only been using minoxidil for ten days and my moustache has already darkened. It was previously light blonde bordering on white, nearly invisible, but quite of few of those hairs have converted to a darker shade so it's now more noticeable. Also I'm seeing lots of small thin hairs sprouting on my cheeks which were not there before. Keep in mind I'm not applying minoxidil anywhere near my face, just on my scalp once daily. The hair on my head is light blonde so I'm wondering if it will have the same effect there as well.

sito

Reaction score
when i first started using minoxidil in 2009, I had really impressive results. I used it on the front only. That hair went from brown to almost black and got also a little bit curly. People were asking if I dye the front of my hair. But as results faded away during the years, the colour became again normal

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
Mine got darker, I have missed to put minoxidil on a patch on the back of my head, noticed it today....this is 2 month's into 10% minoxidil never used anything else.

Yes I know, looks horrible, but also a proof that minoxidil works.

Attachments

• 20180408_115251.jpg
    20180408_115251.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,331

vinn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mine got darker, I have missed to put minoxidil on a patch on the back of my head, noticed it today....this is 2 month's into 10% minoxidil never used anything else.

Yes I know, looks horrible, but also a proof that minoxidil works.

Would you say your hair darkened all over your scalp, or only in the areas you're applying minoxidil?

vinn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair got significantly darker.
How long after starting minoxidil would you say it started growing in darker?

The reason I'm interested in this topic is because my hair color is very light and I wouldn't mind if it got a bit darker, I think it would give the appearance of more coverage.