Bryan Shelton

Blake Wilfong

Reaction score
Hello everyone. It is with profound regret that I inform you that Bryan Shelton passed away this last Monday morning at the age of 63, due to the cumulative effects of mini strokes and perhaps a full stroke at the last. Family and friends first began to notice his occasional mild confusion beginning in August 2012, which worsened frighteningly quickly in the following months, but we were unable to convince him to see a doctor until July 2013. By that time, little could be done.

I know Bryan loved posting on hair loss forums, so whenever he stopped, it's surely because he was no longer able to. (Difficulty using computers was one of the earliest warning signs.) I found this forum by searching Google for his name, and I thought you folks should know what became of him.

With deepest condolences and best wishes to all who cared about Bryan,

Blake Linton Wilfong
Friend of Bryan Shelton for 34 years
Houston, Texas

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
It's a shame that someone who dedicated a lot of time helping others with hair loss passed away before any actual cure was released.

RIP.. :(

Jacob

Reaction score
RIP and condolences to the family and friends. Bryan and I had crazy times in these forums!

Is there an obituary and funeral home mention online- maybe where one can express condolences on?

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
very sad news

I know he caused some controversy on here but he was a very knowledgebale guy, and was a voice of reason amongst all the stupidity

RIP Bryan

seekinghair

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Dear Blake, my condolences to you and everyone else around here. I haven't posted for years but I couldn't let this one go. It was a pleasure to have Bryan in this and other hairloss forums. You could easily tell that besides his intelligence and wisdow Bryan was a very good man. Que descanse en paz.[/FONT]

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
My condolences to Bryan's family. Bryan provided valuable guidance to me when I first started treating my hair loss. I also haven't posted in years, but I just want to say that Bryan was a knowledgable man who helped people. I wish we had more people like Bryan on this forum and the internet in general. I am grateful for his help and sad that he is gone.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah thats a shame. He was one of the big brains on here that always straightened everyone out when they did not say things technically right.

Blake Wilfong

Reaction score
Is there an obituary and funeral home mention online- maybe where one can express condolences on?
There's no funeral home since Bryan's relatives donated his body to medicine (which I agree is what he'd have wanted). And I doubt there will be an obituary; Bryan left no wife or children, and his sister personally notified friends and relatives of his passing. I can tell you that he had no college degree, but loved meticulous research combined with healthy scientific skepticism. His last job was as a field service technician for Tektronix, repairing the high-end printers they used to manufacture. We met at a computer club in 1979, at the dawn of the personal computer age. Later, he and I played Doom from 1994 until he could no longer use his computer; if you Google our names together you'll find a couple of references to our cooperative testing of player-made Doom maps.

As for expressing your condolences, you're doing it right here. I will provide links to the threads I started here and elsewhere to his family and friends in a day or two when the activity on them subsides. My thanks for the kind words you all have posted. They are a moving tribute to my friend.

Jacob

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info, Blake. There still should be an obituary though- plenty people die young or w/out a wife etc but the family and/or friends still submit an obituary to the local paper and/or even online these days. But do please let us know.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
ahh he was a Doom fan. If I'd known that I would have challenged him to a game :salut:

he leaves a legacy of excellent posts in the archives.

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
S Foote vs Bryan was epic. RIP Bryan! Many loved to hate you and some hated to love you. You contributed a lot to these forums. My prayers go out to the ones that knew him in person.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh wow, I was wondering why he stopped posting. Sorry to hear. RIP.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bryan played a huge role in everything I did to create this site, information-wise. He was integral to motivating me, educating me, and making everything you see here ultimately happen. Without Bryan, HairLossTalk would not be a site focused so heavily focused on proven treatments, and scientific evidence. I probably would have gone the route of many of the other sites back in 2001 with a smorgasbord approach of proven, unproven, and total nonsense fads that constantly came and went, duping people out of tons of money, only to end up being scams. So I thank him heavily for a constant focus on what was verifiable, and studied.

Most of what I know about hair loss came from Bryan, and through hundreds of hours of chats and discussions back in the day, over AOL instant messenger, emails and the forums. Therefore, indirectly, Bryan has helped literally hundreds of thousands of hair loss sufferers, through his involvement in what was ultimately written on HairLossTalk. I frequently asked him to participate officially and put his name to things, but he never wanted the accolades. Maybe too busy playing Doom :) Either way ... my heart is heavy today, and I am sitting here quietly sad. You were already missed Bryan, in your recent absence. You'll be much more missed now that I know you won't be back.

Admin

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about Bryans passing. I think we both recognised that our debates were not personal, rather we just had very different views of the data relating to male pattern baldness. I think the people who remember these debates would agree Bryan could fight his corner well as they say. RIP Bryan.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about Bryans passing. I think we both recognised that our debates were not personal, rather we just had very different views of the data relating to male pattern baldness. I think the people who remember these debates would agree Bryan could fight his corner well as they say. RIP Bryan.

I'm curious, in a nutshell what did your disagreements with Bryan boil down to? He was quite a staunch defender of the 'standard' theory of male pattern baldness (ie. genes and DHT) if I recall correctly

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, in a nutshell what did your disagreements with Bryan boil down to? He was quite a staunch defender of the 'standard' theory of male pattern baldness (ie. genes and DHT) if I recall correctly
I argued that the significant effect of androgens in male pattern baldness is indirect, and this is what needs to be targeted if we are to achive effective and safe treatments of male pattern baldness. This thread is not the place to elaborate, so I will post a thread about this later.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my little time posting here, I realized immediately that Bryan was most likely the most knowledgeable member of the site. I'm not putting any one else down either. Lots of members contribute to this site in different ways. But I remember Bryan standing out. RIP.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of Bryan's passing. He was a hairloss board legend! A true follower of the scientific method, and a oracle of information about hairloss, who dedicated time to helping people understand and fight hairloss.

I don't come on the boards often these days, but when i did I always wondered where Bryan had gone. Thank you for informing us.

RIP Bryan Shelton