BP

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
They should move the damn spill to UK so the brits can shut the f*** up! This a disaster. I watched CNN last Friday afternoon while waiting to get my car fixed. Unbelievable. The whole gulf is about to die and everything around it.. I am sick of the whole oil industry and hope BP go bankruptcy. The just killed an whole eco-system that took millions years to get there. Humanity disgusting me. :puke: They were talking about using Nuke as last resort.. I have no words to describe how I felt when I watched that on T.V. If the army ask me to go there.. I will go in a heartbeat.

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
Here we go…

Not necessarily my views, just what I’ve gleaned from ‘here and there’.

British:

There should have been better regulation with such new initiatives - hence America partly to blame
Rig and some workers American
BP is not just British but it seems only the British are being blamed
Other companies involved, yet only BP seems to be mentioned
Obama kept calling BP, 'British' Petroleum even though about 10 years ago it changed its name and became multinational. This and some media encourage the apparent anti-British feeling, making ‘us’ more ‘sensitive’.
Not our fault (per se)
Comments, such in the previous post.
Getting the feeling that the USA thinks we are not bothered or concerned. The disaster is shown on our TV stations every day. In the past we have had our own wildlife covered in oil and the feeling of inadequacy to help everything injured. Also, jobs/communities afffected etc. We do have sympathy.

American:

BP took short cuts and money saving measures.
Obama and others calling it British reinforces antagonism to Britain for a minority
Something or somebody to blame.
Shareholders dividend – BP’s attitude seems heartless and insensitive.
Worry BP may file for bankruptcy and/or limit payments or not be able to pay what they promise
BP may try to abrogate some responsibility
Not acting quickly enough and perhaps not being fully truthful with facts and information.
Seeing the devastation and oil is still gushing - no definite end to the disaster– (totally understandable and sympathetic, BTW)
BP should have got collecting ships to the area sooner – it’s going to be another month and at the moment they are just burning oil that has recently been collected

I think the sensitive aspect being mentioned is just trying to give another side to a discussion. No matter how small a point is, if it seems unjust (even if it is perceived as a smal unjustice), it is natural for people to go on the defensive.
It is not always petty to do so.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
captain_que said:
In one way it´s too bad it didn´t happen to an American company. Then americans wouldn´t have anyone else to blame for what basically is their government´s fault..

BP is just as much an American company as it is a British company.
Although the HQ is in London, about 75% of its employees are Americans

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score
eth0 said:
captain_que said:
In one way it´s too bad it didn´t happen to an American company. Then americans wouldn´t have anyone else to blame for what basically is their government´s fault..

BP is just as much an American company as it is a British company.
Although the HQ is in London, about 75% of its employees are Americans

I´m well aware that it´s multinational. I was talking about an ´american-made´ company. I think you see what I mean.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is seriously blaming Brits for this. But, I have read multiple times on various sites "Why does a British company have the right to block Americans from accessing American soil"

Cassin

Reaction score
Eureka said:
I don't think anyone is seriously blaming Brits for this. But, I have read multiple times on various sites "Why does a British company have the right to block Americans from accessing American soil"
That's a natural question. It's not like everyone had a natural understanding of international and foreign mineral rights.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
20021001_Ask_Handyman_page004img002.jpg

it's funny how a few of these could of prevented this :innocent:
(obviously remote operated)
maybe it might tell bp to have a few more shutoff valves in future, you can't have too many

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
They should move the damn spill to UK so the brits can shut the f*ck up! This a disaster.

Nobody is saying it is not a disaster. This is very sad and worrying, not just for the US but the whole world. This is affecting our planet. What upset many people from the UK, is that as the situation has got worse Obama seems more interested in attacking BP rather than working together.

Anyway...this article is interesting. It seems that BP is not alone. The entire oil industry is unprepared for a disaster like this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and ... 317817.stm

Cassin said:
Why are Brits so sensitive lately? Goodness.

Yea we are being overly sensitive, I agree. I think everyone (on both sides) will calm down once the oil has been stopped. Hopefully it will push the world towards a greener energy.

s.a.f

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Hopefully it will push the world towards a greener energy.
Yeah right!! :woot: When 2 wars over oil have'nt done sh*t.

Nene

Reaction score
BP in cahoots with Halliburton and others took many shortcuts and did shoddy work that if done better, perhaps could've prevented the spill. They assured the American Government that the deep drilling it was safe and there was nothing to worry about. However, I also blame the laisez faire attitude of the Bush administration era federal government. With stricter regulations this may have been avoided. All you conservatives and libertarians out there, this is what non-government interference free market looks like, big business running a muck and ruining the environment. Now i don't know why anyone would blame the British people or why Brits would get mad at Obama for his comments. No anger is being aimed directly at the British, I hope they can all keep their pensions but if BP goes under it goes under, we already bailed out the banks and we're not going to bail out big oil now. We are mad, this is a disaster of epic proportions and BP has also killed people in disasters in the the past, this is not their first misstep, I think a little scolding and tough talk from our commander in chief is completely justified. BP better find a way to pay for this sh*t (as suggested by Senate minority leader Bainer) , if they try to make tax payers pay for this we are going to be protesting. As if all this wasn't bad enough, BP has been hiding evidence all along, lying about how much oil is actually spilling, keeping the media from the beaches, making their clean up crews stay quite, and quickly collecting dead animals that wash ashore so as to avoid them from being photographed. I suspect there was criminal negligence here and now this lack of transparency is ridiculous.

Nene

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="optimus prime":2tsyms1l]Hopefully it will push the world towards a greener energy.
Yeah right!! :woot: When 2 wars over oil have'nt done sh*t.[/quote:2tsyms1l]

The politicians in the states affected by the spill are asking the President to allow drilling to continue!!!! They say it'll cause people to lose their jobs, :sobbing: . Well when you're job is ruining the environment for my children and grandchildren I guess you'll just to find a new job!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="optimus prime":1p9w0xcz]Hopefully it will push the world towards a greener energy.
Yeah right!! :woot: When 2 wars over oil have'nt done sh*t.[/quote:1p9w0xcz]

???

What "2 wars over oil" are you talking about?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Oh sorry I forgot it was WMD's wasn't it? Thats the reason why the U.S was so interested in Iraq. They probably did'nt even realise Iraq had massive oil reserves. :whistle:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Oh sorry I forgot it was WMD's wasn't it? Thats the reason why the U.S was so interested in Iraq. They probably did'nt even realise Iraq had massive oil reserves. :whistle:

Please explain to me exactly how those two wars were fought "over oil"; what the specific goals were, to what extent the goals were accomplished, etc. Please be specific about all that.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BP fined for 20milliard dollars, i think 30% of that money should go into male pattern baldness research as obviously we are the main sufferers from all this.... the spill caused a huge ecologic disaster which in return caused server damage to our fragile follicles and has direct impact over 30% of men the ages of 20 up... bring on the $$$ bp :hump: :hump:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:

In addition to my previous answer to your sarcastic comment above, I'll also share with you what my sister said on this same issue some time ago (she's a former US Ambassador, and she knows what she's talking about). I had emailed her, asking for her opinion of the common belief that the Iraq wars were "for oil", and here is her response:

-------------------------------------
Re the oil issue: I know that everyone in the world, esp. non-Americans, think it was oil that drove us to Iraq. I absolutely disagree and will list my reasons:

1) During the internal USG discussions on Iraq prior to the invasion, and what were USG interests in Iraq, an interest in oil -- as opposed to WMD, Saddam's atrocities, desire to spread democracy in the Middle East, etc. -- was not articulated. I know this not only from my own sources but also from the many books/articles/research papers that have been written on the internal decision-making process within the USG prior to the invasison. All the available (and not yet available) material/information suggests that the White House and others were obsessed with WMD and spreading democracy. These priorities should not be underestimated. Also, it is useful to remember that energy security, now high on the USG's priority list as a result of rising oil prices and instability in the Middle East, was not an issue at the time. of the invasion.

Also -- and I am sure that many will laugh at this point -- the USG understood that revenues from Iraq's oil would belong to Iraqis, not to the USG. There is no way whatsoever that the USG could claim Iraq's oil revenues. If, however, the point is that more oil would be available on global oil markets, thus driving down the price....well, would Bush really want to drive down the price of oil, given his friends among Texas oil producers?!

Boondock

Reaction score
The thing that's always surprised me about the Iraq War is that if, as many claim, the US/UK force was so corrupt and deceitful, why didn't they just fake a few findings of WMDs? It would've been easier to do this than to deal with the political fallout from them being wrong.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Boondock said:
The thing that's always surprised me about the Iraq War is that if, as many claim, the US/UK force was so corrupt and deceitful, why didn't they just fake a few findings of WMDs?

Who claims that the US/UK force was "corrupt and deceitful"?