Bimatoprost Success In Such A Short Time Zero Sides

HairPro

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been coming to these forums on and off forever-- I'm 68 and have been successfully keeping most of my hair for 50 years. The key for me as the old-timers here may recognize, is to absolutely wash your hair every single day of your life and for young people twice a day. Removing that sebum is ONE key factor. "Shinny bald head" is not just a saying...it's true. Dry scalps without grease or sebum are healthy scalps. Women in general have nice dry scalps, men that are balding have greasy, sebum laden scalps. This sebum is detrimental for people WHOSE FOLLICLES ARE GENETICALLY PREDISPOSED TO REACT TO SEBUM, which mean that not everyone with a greasy scalp with lose hair, but most will. Ok, so now we get to the meat of the title of this thread. Something is very fishy in Allergan's discontinuing the clinical trials using bimatorpost to prevent or grow hair. My take is that bimatoprost can be purchased generically and lots of people are already using it off-label so it would not have made any sense for Allergan to blow 500 million in research to conclude the obvious. And the obvious in my opinion, is that it works, and it works great. I have thinning eyebrows and asked my MD to prescribe me bimatoprost as I had heard it worked for eyebrows also. Ok after three months of using it, the eyebrows have not show a great deal of improvement. A bit maybe. But get a hold of this...about 2 months ago I started also rubbing it into my scalp and the results are truly outstanding, both in terms of filling in and a lot of hair growth along the forehead hairline and temples. This is something unheard of, and without any side effects. I read about an MD here that has also used it and modest results. Well, for me it has been amazing. Maybe the washing of the sebum religiously helps, I don't know. I got mine in Canada as a generic, as I'm in Canada. I use it once in the evening and the concentration is the standard 0.003. Will it work for someone else, I don't know, but this stuff works. I won't be replying to any messages as there is nothing more to post. The cost is about $100 for a bottle (CAD$) but I make the bottle last at least 2 months. Maybe a smaller concentration is more effective than smearing a lot, who knows. Please try and come back. Regards to everyone.

Quest

My Regimen
Reaction score
appreciate the story! however, you must understand that this story is completely useless without any physical evidence. post a before and after and people will be much more inclined to take this as someone actually wanting to help vs someone who's potentially just a troll.

HairPro

My Regimen
Reaction score
appreciate the story! however, you must understand that this story is completely useless without any physical evidence. post a before and after and people will be much more inclined to take this as someone actually wanting to help vs someone who's potentially just a troll.

Thank you for replying. I understand also your concerns, there are no images as it was not my intention to use bimatoprost on my scalp. I was using it for my eyebrows and as a side note I decided to rub it on my scalp. So I was not looking to confirm anything at that point. I am just simply stating what happened and of course bimatoprost is a generic you can buy anywhere, so I'm not selling anything either. I've been coming to these forums since the beginning of their existence and I'm trying to help, just like I was always looking for help. A lot of people have read what I posted and moved either to forget about it or maybe some may decide to give this a try...simple as that. If we start getting aggressive replies we may stifle any discussion. I'm undoubtedly a lot older than you are, and if you were my son I would have advised him the following: "Be a solutions guy - not an observing a problem guy without posing a solution....."

blubber911

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I understand also your concerns, there are no images as it was not my intention to use bimatoprost on my scalp. I was using it for my eyebrows and as a side note I decided to rub it on my scalp. So I was not looking to confirm anything at that point. I am just simply stating what happened and of course bimatoprost is a generic you can buy anywhere, so I'm not selling anything either. I've been coming to these forums since the beginning of their existence and I'm trying to help, just like I was always looking for help. A lot of people have read what I posted and moved either to forget about it or maybe some may decide to give this a try...simple as that. If we start getting aggressive replies we may stifle any discussion. I'm undoubtedly a lot older than you are, and if you were my son I would have advised him the following: "Be a solutions guy - not an observing a problem guy without posing a solution....."

hey hairpro.. there are no images right now, which is understandable since you were experimenting, but if it's not too much to ask, could you take a picture of your hair now, and then later after seeing more regrowth take another one so we can compare... i hope you are understanding my question.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
@HairPro: first thank you for taking the time to report your findings. I am however confused as to why you would let us know about this yet you mention you will not be responding. Doesn't make sense. If I were having success without sides I would surely answer questions as you could really help someone out.
Next, they really have a point about no pictures. Even if you took a pic now and compared it a month from now. It may convince someone to try it. You gotta remember that there are a lot of losers on here that lie so that makes some people reluctant to try something without proof. Know what I mean?
And finally I want to tell you that I have tried bim several times and I always immediately got increased sebum and shedding when ever I tried it. I don't understand why it did that and why you are experiencing the opposite. Even my hair would get lighter as opposed to darker and healthier looking. Maybe you could shine some light on that. Thanks for your time. Be well!

HairPro

My Regimen
Reaction score
@HairPro: first thank you for taking the time to report your findings. I am however confused as to why you would let us know about this yet you mention you will not be responding. Doesn't make sense. If I were having success without sides I would surely answer questions as you could really help someone out.
Next, they really have a point about no pictures. Even if you took a pic now and compared it a month from now. It may convince someone to try it. You gotta remember that there are a lot of losers on here that lie so that makes some people reluctant to try something without proof. Know what I mean?
And finally I want to tell you that I have tried bim several times and I always immediately got increased sebum and shedding when ever I tried it. I don't understand why it did that and why you are experiencing the opposite. Even my hair would get lighter as opposed to darker and healthier looking. Maybe you could shine some light on that. Thanks for your time. Be well!

I am pleased to hear someone else has been trying bim, but dismayed that the results you got were not similar to the ones I have gotten. I do insist that one must wash one's hair every single day and never go to bed with a greasy sebum laden scalp, ever...could that have helped bim improve its results? Maybe, or maybe you do wash your hair with shampoo every day and you keep your scalp sebum-free. If that is the case, then maybe we need more people testing this theory...as I said before maybe it worked for me and will not for everyone..

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am pleased to hear someone else has been trying bim, but dismayed that the results you got were not similar to the ones I have gotten. I do insist that one must wash one's hair every single day and never go to bed with a greasy sebum laden scalp, ever...could that have helped bim improve its results? Maybe, or maybe you do wash your hair with shampoo every day and you keep your scalp sebum-free. If that is the case, then maybe we need more people testing this theory...as I said before maybe it worked for me and will not for everyone..
I too noticed a decrease in scalm inflammation and hair loss after i started washing my hair every day. Please keep us informed.

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interestung theory on the scalp washing. I believe ive read some of your posts on hlh. Can u please give us some details on your regimen of hair washing and keeping ur scalp sebum free? Like what kind of shampoo do u use, how many times u lather, do u use conditioner, how much do u massage in, etc.

What Norwood are u now?

Thanks

HairPro

My Regimen
Reaction score
John, as far as I am concerned scalp washing is the most important step to preserve your hair. If you are below 25 yrs. you need to wash your hair in the morning and evening. After 25 (when there is less sebum -presumably) you can wash once a day, unless you sweat, which you must then wash again. Never, ever go to bed with a sweaty, greasy, sebum-laden scalp. That is the recipe for disaster for those whose follicles are sensitive to the hormones released in the scalp--in other words for everyone that is balding or will be losing their hair in the future. For the rest, it doesn't matter if they never wash their hair. They will not go bald.

What I recommend is washing with any shampoo, it doesn't matter. I use castille soap, and lather once. No conditioner, nothing else. You can use conditioner, that won't matter. As you are lathering use your fingernails making a claw-like formation with all your fingers on both hands and gently but with some pressure to scrape your scalp all over. What this does is create a micro-irritation or micro-wounding of the scalp which in turn works like a derma-roller--which I never tried, but it must work in a similar way. You can also gently scrape some of the crud off your scalp while the scalp is wet making sure you get some of the matter under your fingernails.

Diet makes no difference in my opinion - unless your are of course starving yourself. 75% of the world's poorest and most unfortunately people on earth whose diet is so deficient have great hair.

Vitamins, minerals, etc. as per the above, make no difference, in my opinion, for the same reason as above.

Of course if you use any of the big 3 drugs and you follow my washing regime. It should work great. For me just doing for 50 years has worked great, without using anything else. Although, I tried everything (except the big 3) through my life. Within the last year, I tried bimatoprost and I find that had improved my hair even more, but I have since stopped using it fearing that I would get my scalp too used to it, when in reality I have been doing so well with my simple regime. To me it's incredible that people cannot and will not notice that all balding people have bright shinning scalps full of oil (sebum) when those that are not balding (even with shaved heads) have nice, dry scalps. For 50 years, that is the first thing I notice in people (obsessed that I am). I have kept about 90% or more of my hair. I've had some sheds sometimes, maybe seasonal, but they subside and all comes back. I've been saying the same story for about as many years as the internet is old on these forums, but I don't think anyone listens...oh well...love to all.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
@HairPro, maybe you have weak male pattern baldness jeans...fyi if I wash daily my hair looks very unhealthy even if I use a mild shampoo. It's like I'm taking the nutrients out of the scalp. I think it really depends on the individual to be honest.....but you are correct in that if your scalp is inflamed or loaded with sweat or sebum that you should wash it before bed.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Be very careful of bimatoprost or latanoprost. They are associated with periorbital fat atrophy and can make your eyes look sunken.

http://eyewiki.aao.org/Prostaglandin_Associated_Periorbitopathy

Prostaglandin altering medications are no joke.

If you're trying to reduce sebum and inflammation 5% niacinamide will do this nicely. It is dirt cheap also. 1% cetirizine (if you're working in water) or 1% desloratadine (if you're working in solution with alcohol) should also provide some anti-inflammatory effect.

I looked at bimatoprost a long time ago and decided based on the fat atrophy issue I didn't want to douse my head in it every day. I'd think about it.

BaldyBalderBald

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Be very careful of bimatoprost or latanoprost. They are associated with periorbital fat atrophy and can make your eyes look sunken.

http://eyewiki.aao.org/Prostaglandin_Associated_Periorbitopathy

Prostaglandin altering medications are no joke.

If you're trying to reduce sebum and inflammation 5% niacinamide will do this nicely. It is dirt cheap also. 1% cetirizine (if you're working in water) or 1% desloratadine (if you're working in solution with alcohol) should also provide some anti-inflammatory effect.

I looked at bimatoprost a long time ago and decided based on the fat atrophy issue I didn't want to douse my head in it every day. I'd think about it.

I agree that it can cause sides just like every other drugs, but in this case periorbital fat atrophy was observed when the drugs where applied directly in the eye, not on the scalp, you can't be sure it will cause that too

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree that it can cause sides just like every other drugs, but in this case periorbital fat atrophy was observed when the drugs where applied directly in the eye, not on the scalp, you can't be sure it will cause that too

No. But i worry about scalp and forehead fat and muscle atrophy which happens with age already, and low amounts of this stuff tracking through your subcutaneous tissue. When I had my scalp expander implanted, a week later i ended up with a black eye. Why? Because all the blood from under the hairline eventually tracked down my forehead into my eye sockets.

Things can move. It's how guys on topical minoxidil who are sensitive to it still get puffy or aged eyes.

Fat atrophy will make you look old.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@HairPro I agree with keeping the scalp sebum free! When i was a kid up u til i was almost 15 i would rarely shower and didnt care much about personal hygiene til i began to like girls, my head was riddled with sebum and dandruff which probably set off my male pattern baldness at the ripe old age of 14, since thrn i have washed my hair every day (or most days) and the progression has been slow. I may give this a try and post results, but im on other treatments too so it couldnt be an effective demonstration of bim's effects.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on no-poo ( no shampoo ) epidemic for about a year. Before that, I washed my hair every morning. Propecia was working great for me, and I didn't notice any hair loss at the time, but after not cleaning my scalp for about 4 months without shampoo my hair loss was just insane. I was searching if there's any connection on forums but no luck. Maybe there's none, but my experience says otherwise.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're trying to reduce sebum and inflammation 5% niacinamide
the only thing thats kept me away from niacin is the "naicin flush". some say its a good thing and others say its bad.