*Big Time Results* with Toppik/HairSoReal

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Esprit said:
SAF, I just find it hard to picture your results with Nano where you don't even need spray and it doesn't rub off over night if your hair is that thin. You must be one of the more skilled appliers mate, I still need help applying that stuff. You're not local are you!?

How were your hair transplant results, and I'm guessing you didn't have it done over here?

When it comes to using this stuff its a case of experimenting and finding whats best for you.

Most people just shake the can upside down = Tons of it comes out very hard to put it precisely where you want.
Or some actualy tap the tin against their head = Fibres fall more on the scalp rather than the hair.
The manufacturers instruct this because it uses up tons of fibres this way = more sales for them.

The way I do it is just by standing infront of a mirror holding the can about 9" above the head at a 45% angle like \

Then I give my wrist a quick flick and it releases a little cloud of fibres. These float down and you just move your head into that cloud.
I do about 6 - 8 of these little flicks to cover the entire top of the scalp. Then just run your hand through your hair. The amount used is very small. 1 can lasts for months.
I keep the fibres in for 3/4 days easily.

I do get grubby marks on a pillow or the inside of a hat but thats all, but bear in mind thats sustained direct contact on cloth it certainly does'nt blow off in the wind or come off when I run my hand through it. However I do try to protect it from the elements I'll wear a hat if I have to go outside for a long period of time. However I have been out in strong winds and it still looks as thick afterwards.
Maybe its because I use dermatch first that makes the difference?

As for the hair transplant's thats another stoy: :shakehead:

3 disasterous hack jobs here in the UK followed by 2 attempts to sort things out with Feller in the U.S.
Although by the time I got to him it was very limited what he could do with amount of donor left.
If I'd have gone abroad in the first place I'd be looking better without concealers than I do now with them.

With the new Nanos, the larger size in particular, I've bought 3 and it doesn't come out at all, you shake and get nothing or clumps. It doesn't matter how you hold those cans, they are a nightmare. The 15g are still the only ones which pour OK, and even they can give too much. I do use Dermmatch now for a base coat hoping it would save on the fibres. It only smashes me in the head because the big tins do not pour normally and sometimes having to shake so hard it whacks your head, and these are a new batch. Big problems me thinks with manufacturer, Really annoyed about them and they're not cheap either. I've not used Toppik in years now so no idea if it's improved. Am tempted to try again just because of the applicator they offer. Some days it looks good and some not so good, but always rub off in bed. I tried the apply, then spray, apply more, spray technique that works for some on here but still rubs off. I think some of you guys are lucky in that respect and there are others like myself that will always need the next day touch-up! The darker patches where it's hit scalp and settles will always annoy me. And as for running your hands through it.... it just takes it out for me, as does this 'patting' they tell you to do. But I don't think these 30g help because it doesn't come out evenly because you have to shake so hard and so much to release any.. no angle works

Sorry about your experience with hair transplant, that can't be a lot of fun. Is there really nobody in the UK worth a visit, Rogers or Fargo etc? Or even the Irish guy who did Nesbitt, which is so far the best or just good photography. Rooney's looks a bit designer carpeted and not mad on his hairline but I wonder how many of us would have picked up on it had we not known... and knew him before

s.a.f

Reaction score
I have'nt had any problems with the new size tin, I can use it in exactly the same way. Like I said I dont pour it at no point does the tin ever even go horizontal.
In all my years using fibres which is about 5yrs I've only had 2 bad batches where the fibres came out in clumps. I think this must be due to a storage error or something like if they got too hot or cold.

As for UK clinics Rogers and Fargo are the best available but I'd rate them as being about 85% as good as the top foriegn surgeons.

Medium

Reaction score
Which is the better product ?

Toppik or HairSoReal ?

Ive never used either so would appreciate a push in the right direction :)

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I have'nt had any problems with the new size tin, I can use it in exactly the same way. Like I said I dont pour it at no point does the tin ever even go horizontal.
In all my years using fibres which is about 5yrs I've only had 2 bad batches where the fibres came out in clumps. I think this must be due to a storage error or something like if they got too hot or cold.

As for UK clinics Rogers and Fargo are the best available but I'd rate them as being about 85% as good as the top foriegn surgeons.

Strange, I've only ever had bad cans in that size. All from same shop mind, but Nanogen weren't in the least bit interested when I complained.

Don't have the funds at the moment, but if someone would say they are miracle workers, you don't need meds or lotions and it would stop me being obsessed with my hair then I'd get a loan in an instant, but I wouldn't be able to travel abroad for it. You still on Propecia/Regaine etc?

@ Medium, Try them all!! We all did because some suit more than others

s.a.f

Reaction score
I'm on generic finasteride about 0.5mg per day for the last 6 yrs. Why would'nt you be able to travel abroad?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I'm on generic finasteride about 0.5mg per day for the last 6 yrs. Why would'nt you be able to travel abroad?

Is it helping you being on that, any problems, can I ask how old you are?

Work wise I couldn't get away, and I suppose costs too

s.a.f

Reaction score
TBH I dont really have any idea if its working or not. When I got on it I was a 30 yr old NW6 so .... :dunno:
I only use if as a kind of peice of mind/preventative measure against possible further loss.
I have'nt had any side effects which I think is probably down to the fact that when I started it I was'nt aware of the possible effects so did'nt manage to convince myself of any.
Most guy who start it are just looking for something to happen and if thats the case then you will convince yourself (a kind of negative placebo effect).

As for your hair transplant's theres not really any differnce going abroad you still need the exact same healing time off work. And with the £ being such a strong currency it does'nt really cost too much more. I paid almost the same to be butchered in the UK as I did to have Feller perform the op in New York.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good to know, do you think the generic finasteride is different to 'Propecia', Better even?

Why so bad in the UK, what did they do to you, and what did Feller say about their work as to why it was so bad. Dare you say who the UK surgeon was? Hope you sued

CEDeoudes59

Reaction score
Esprit said:
@ CEDeoudes59, Great use of concealers in those pics. Looks really good, thanks for posting. Is Hair So Real better than Toppik?

@ SAF, With regards to touching and not getting a black hand... I do it myself, if there's a particular slick area, yes you do, regardless of spray. And if you ever scratch an itch, check those fingernails after. It's like you've been down a mine

thanks, nah toppik is better - but hairsoreal is a better value in my opinion.
i have jet black hair - getting the fiber color:hair color is pretty easy for me

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
This is maybe a bit too much toppik. I have more hair at the moment than yourself and from what I can see, your hair does look a bit powdery/dusty. Maybe get a shorter haircut, that way you can't tell the difference between the real hair and the toppik hair.

CEDeoudes59

Reaction score
reckless said:
This is maybe a bit too much toppik. I have more hair at the moment than yourself and from what I can see, your hair does look a bit powdery/dusty. Maybe get a shorter haircut, that way you can't tell the difference between the real hair and the toppik hair.

yup my hair has filled in significantly actually -- the good thing about toppik is it is super quick to apply

gqm1833

Reaction score
question

Dear SAF, I use hair spray concelar, and it is a pain, ( stains, ruine clothes, and white pillows) and if a woman run hands through it, it comes off in her hands, does toppik do the same?

uve

Banned
Reaction score
I am a 38 yr old man with a very visible bald spot on thetop of the head. I have tried three products Mirage, Toppik and this one. Ilike fixplant the best. It covered up my thinning areas very well. Even mygirlfriend can't tell I have anything on my head. I don't know if it is purelyphyschological (knowing it is 100% pure plant extract vs animal furs), but myhead does not itch with fixplant, unlike with others

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree though that it does seem risky in terms of detection as the other guys suggest.

Yeah, better to look like a bald freak than to risk detection. Frankly I don't give a damn if people know I am using a concealer. I give a damn what I look like without it.