Best hair systems

oggydawgy

Reaction score
Hey I am currently 22 years old and am receding in the front. I am going bald for sure and am thinking of switching to a hairpiece. My father is bald and he wears a system from Hair Club for men, and it looks alright, but I know there is cheaper and better out there. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I have come across Farrell Hair Systems and have been checking out their stuff and it looks real nice with all the European hair etc. What would you guys recommend?

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Farrel certainly has better looking pieces than Hairclub, from what I've seen, but I know that a lot of people are still dissatisfied with his prices and service. I've never experienced one of his pieces first hand, mostly because of the price.

Be sure to notice, though, there is a difference between European/Virgin hair and the "Eurosilk" hair that Farrel sells.

Before you sign any papers, I'd make sure to do your research. Definitely look into Farrell, as he's a popular choice, but don't forget to look at local Mom 'n' Pop hair replacement places and some of the online dealers (Toplace, Coolpiece, Maxpiece, etc).

Be aware that most hairpiece companies are staffed by silver-tongued salesmen who will say some ridiculous marketing BS to sell you on a piece. No matter what they say, it's a toupee, not a "bio matrix non-surgical skin graft with strand-by-strand hair replacement technology". The key is looking past the fancy words and seeing who offers the best piece and service for a reasonable price.

I've only had experience with Toplace, so I can't really compare against other companies, but I'm satisfied with the look and quality. Most importantly for me, though, is that I can AFFORD the hair. I'm a college student and sometimes money's tight, so it's nice to be able to order cheap hair when I can afford it and not be locked into a monthly plan.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
price and quality are not correlated for sure. here in the uk you can get hair systems for £550 to £1500 and they are no better than those priced at £250. There is a lot of information out there. Read as much as you can and understand your own needs. That way you will be best positioned to make an informed choice. I have heard good things re NorthWest Lace, but I myself use a company in London.

I started wearing last year and my only regret is not doing it sooner.

Good luck...its an exciting journey

lucky14

Reaction score
Hi there im seriosuly considering having a system as have a few events coming up and need to look the part as very unconfident about how i look . balding at crown and thin on top i use fibres but now at 29 have very thin hair in top. Would be interested to know what systems in london people recmmend or stay clear of many thanks

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi there im seriosuly considering having a system as have a few events coming up and need to look the part as very unconfident about how i look . balding at crown and thin on top i use fibres but now at 29 have very thin hair in top. Would be interested to know what systems in london people recmmend or stay clear of many thanks

Johnny,

I have sent you a PM with details.

I thought I would write the below in open forum to help others thinking about a hair system and covers some of what you wrote.

I can empathise with you. I used fibres for a few years, but eventually, there was more fibre than hair! Like a vampire, I was scared of water splashing and my fibres smearing.

Total Cover Plus offer a solution albeit for those unwilling to invest some time or of a less inquisitive nature

Like you, I initially spoke with them before concluded I could get a more natural and longer lasting hair system for less elsewhere.

With TCP, you have to pay (or when I last checked) £280 per hair system and then £120 for it to be cut in. You then need to change thier system every 6 to 8 weeks. Over the year it adds up to thousands. In addition, they told me they will get me a custom made piece in 10-days, which is more like taking a stock piece and cutting it.

I never understood, how it can be kept on your hair for 8 weeks and to be honest, I dont think (for me) its hygienic. I go to the gym 5 times a week and it would soon lift.

Further, I felt I had no independence or understanding if each time I had to go to the salon to get it removed and replaced. I prefer to have my autonomy.

Dont get me wrong, TCP is a solution for some, but for me it isnt the best one.

I found a supplier in the UK and I pay £235 per a system and get it cut in for £65 (on his recommendation). I change my system very 6-months. During that time I remove, clean and reattach my system every 2-weeks.

I send a template and hair sample and get my hair system back in 4-weeks.

Had my first one for 8-months and still have it as a back up and my current one for 6-months. Just ordered my third one.

Very happy with it and generally, very happy with hair systems for restoring both my hair and confidence.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Visually and touch wise very hard to tell where they start and stop. I have had a couple of them, but I prefer lace for my lifestyle.

If you are not so active and enjoy a temperate climate and are happy to change more regularly then skin pieces have a place. Skin and sweating dont really go well together.

HairlessGuy

Reaction score
Visually and touch wise very hard to tell where they start and stop. I have had a couple of them, but I prefer lace for my lifestyle.

If you are not so active and enjoy a temperate climate and are happy to change more regularly then skin pieces have a place. Skin and sweating dont really go well together.
Thanks grincher,

Yesterday, I went to Hair Club to see what they offer. They have a 6 month starter deal with 3 hair systems, 3 services and weekly classes for $4500 (too expensive for me). Tomorrow, I will meet with 2 different stylists that used to work at larger establishments and now work in their own salons and another competitor of Hair Club. Having never worn a system and not knowing anyone who does (beside this forum), I am trying to learn as much as I can before making a decision.

One of the best systems and styling I found was on this video: http://youtu.be/vqN8KHw07sk Unfortunately the stylist (Nick Schincaglia) lives in Canada and I live in San Diego.

Does anyone have a suggestion of the best way to start?

Thanks and I appreciate the help!

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks grincher,

Yesterday, I went to Hair Club to see what they offer. They have a 6 month starter deal with 3 hair systems, 3 services and weekly classes for $4500 (too expensive for me). Tomorrow, I will meet with 2 different stylists that used to work at larger establishments and now work in their own salons and another competitor of Hair Club. Having never worn a system and not knowing anyone who does (beside this forum), I am trying to learn as much as I can before making a decision.

One of the best systems and styling I found was on this video: http://youtu.be/vqN8KHw07sk Unfortunately the stylist (Nick Schincaglia) lives in Canada and I live in San Diego.

Does anyone have a suggestion of the best way to start?

Thanks and I appreciate the help!

Nice cut and video. you have done the right thing joining these forums and reading around as much as you can and aim to do it yourself at home. it will save you a whole heap of money and time and give you more options.

There are numerous suppliers with excellent quality pieces at a fraction of the cost. These places ship worldwide.

If you feel brave enough to post some photos we can advise you with more clarity. I taught myself right from the start and its as easy as pie. you just need to be brave or get someone to "mentor" you along the whole process.

You will need to find someone local that is also brave (or experienced) to cut in a system, but then again, it aint hard to do.

Without knowing your particular circumstances, all I can say is I have truly, absolutely and totally no regrets going with a hair system. I just wish I had done it sooner.

AmThatGuy

Reaction score
Johnny,

I have sent you a PM with details.

I thought I would write the below in open forum to help others thinking about a hair system and covers some of what you wrote.

I can empathise with you. I used fibres for a few years, but eventually, there was more fibre than hair! Like a vampire, I was scared of water splashing and my fibres smearing.

Total Cover Plus offer a solution albeit for those unwilling to invest some time or of a less inquisitive nature

Like you, I initially spoke with them before concluded I could get a more natural and longer lasting hair system for less elsewhere.

With TCP, you have to pay (or when I last checked) £280 per hair system and then £120 for it to be cut in. You then need to change thier system every 6 to 8 weeks. Over the year it adds up to thousands. In addition, they told me they will get me a custom made piece in 10-days, which is more like taking a stock piece and cutting it.

I never understood, how it can be kept on your hair for 8 weeks and to be honest, I dont think (for me) its hygienic. I go to the gym 5 times a week and it would soon lift.

Further, I felt I had no independence or understanding if each time I had to go to the salon to get it removed and replaced. I prefer to have my autonomy.

Dont get me wrong, TCP is a solution for some, but for me it isnt the best one.

I found a supplier in the UK and I pay £235 per a system and get it cut in for £65 (on his recommendation). I change my system very 6-months. During that time I remove, clean and reattach my system every 2-weeks.

I send a template and hair sample and get my hair system back in 4-weeks.

Had my first one for 8-months and still have it as a back up and my current one for 6-months. Just ordered my third one.

Very happy with it and generally, very happy with hair systems for restoring both my hair and confidence.

Hi grincher,

Glad i've joined and been going through these forums because that is exactly what im going through.

I am now 23 and been suffering hair receiding from the age of 20. Just couple of months ago I have been using hair fibres and hair sprays to cover these bald spots. At the time it looked great and had no worries. Now I feel as my hair loss is getting worse and tired of styling and filling the bald spots everyday! I was too a 4-5 times a week gym guy but stopped for a while and i am planning to go back once I do something about my hair.

I also discovered TotalCoverPlus looks great but its way too expensive. Really need help and a boost from someone like you to start me up with a hair system. If you can PM me for this relevant chat i would very much appreciate it.

Cheers

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi there, but I cant PM you as I think you are a new member with 1 post.

You can either build up more posts in the forum or email me terimon at hotmail.co.uk

gaspdesign

Reaction score
Best hair systems I discovered after a pricey 'Hair Club for Men' system...

Hey I am currently 22 years old and am receding in the front. I am going bald for sure and am thinking of switching to a hairpiece. My father is bald and he wears a system from Hair Club for men, and it looks alright, but I know there is cheaper and better out there. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I have come across Farrell Hair Systems and have been checking out their stuff and it looks real nice with all the European hair etc. What would you guys recommend?

I paid $4500. for a system from Hair Club For Men in Orlando, Fla. about 20 years ago. It looked good to me and no one noticed since I did not wait until I was completely bald to get a system. However, I have since discovered that hair systems from BODO USA are the best I have found. If you purchase a starter business kit for less than $500. you can buy the best systems money can buy for less than $300. I prefer the Transbase and the Jewel. There is also a very natural looking thinner hair system for older men. The worse mistake I see men make is buying a system tat is too thick or too long. Any place that sells the best system for more than $600. is way too expensive in my opinion. I actually pay less than $200. for the best undetectable system I have ever seen.

TheCavemansDiary

Reaction score
I bought mine from HairDirect, and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I think their systems look great, and the price is pretty affordable, especially since you can pay a subscription fee every month, saving money and avoiding any big downpayments.

As for results, I can't tell you yet, but you could check out their website.

Pumie

Reaction score
New here, need help :)

If anyone could help me Id really appreciate it. I live in Israel and surprisingly we do not have any hair system salons here at least I haven't found any. So my choice is going to Europe to get a hair system but unfortunately I can not do it regularly because you know money wise. So I need something that will last at least for 10/12 months . I was looking at Farell system and they do look really great they say that it lasts for 5 up to 7 years its quite expensive 4800$ but for 5 years its really nothing.Unfortunately I haven't found any other system that could last for 10/12 months. Total cover up does look really great but their system only lasts for 7 weeks as they say if I were living in UK that would be a great deal but I don't so, can anybody suggest me any other choices ? and what do u guys think about Farrel , I read some positive comments about his system. Should I go for his system, does it really lasts for 5 years? Any help would be really , really appreciated. Thanks in advanced

shookwun

Reaction score
Just get a system off of North west lace and get it cut in locally. Have it cut in until you feel comfortable doing it yourself

Its realy that simple
Buy all your glues n **** off hair direct

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Pumie

Particularly for a brand new wearer, no decent system will last that long, I'm afraid. I say "decent" because you could get an old-fashioned piece with a thick monofilament base and synthetic hair, and that would probably last a couple of years. But the problem is it would be highly detectable and unnatural, because the unfortunate truth is that hard-wearingness and a natural undetectable look are incompatible qualities in a hair system. To get a natural look, the base material and the knotting need to be very fine and delicate, and that makes them fragile.

Farrell systems are good quality (although not in a league of their own from a quality perspective, as the price might suggest). Their prices are outrageously high. The claim that they last 5 years is highly misleading. The main fabric of the base and some of the hair may last that long, but they deteriorate like any other good quality system, so in order to keep wearing them you have to send them back to Farrell for him to add new hair and to replace the delicate front hairline section. That is expensive, and means you are without the hairpiece for extended periods, so you always have to buy two. I don't believe there is really any advantage in repeatedly renovating a hairpiece in the way Farrell does it, as compared with just buying a new one at a more reasonable price. I think the supposed 5-year lifespan is just a way of justifying the huge initial outlay.

If money is in any way an issue I would suggest you skip Farrell. There are other providers in Europe which cost less and do as good a job. But your aim should be as quickly as possible to become self-sufficient - using the initial salon visit to pick up tips and get a template made so that you can then order your own systems on the Internet. You can get a really nice lace system on the Net for less than US$300.

I don't want to put names on the board in case it is seen as spam or advertising, but I have some suggestions for suppliers, which I will give you if you PM me.

Good luck

Noah

Pumie

Reaction score
Just get a system off of North west lace and get it cut in locally. Have it cut in until you feel comfortable doing it yourself

Its realy that simple

Hmm They do look great and really cheap as well too bad I could not find any videos but pictures only , from what I see I would never have guessed they were wearing a system . Have you tried using northwest lace ? for how long does it last ? sorry if I ask too much questions but what glues and other items should I order that would be enough for multi use? , Thanks in advanced.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score

Its realy that simple

Whatever I have to do, I do in detail, just the way I am. Buying a car for example. I feel hair piece is no different, do the homework and that's it. It's a great fall back plan if there is no other route to maintain fullish hair.

In an instant all your worries are gone, we function best when we are happy. Spending a life in emotional and physical turmoil over male pattern baldness is a waste. Razor blade also has that release for some people in a different way.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm They do look great and really cheap as well too bad I could not find any videos but pictures only , from what I see I would never have guessed they were wearing a system . Have you tried using northwest lace ? for how long does it last ? sorry if I ask too much questions but what glues and other items should I order that would be enough for multi use? , Thanks in advanced.

Although I can't help you directly, there is no doubt good systems are undetectable. I came face to face with a guy who wears a slight receded one with thick hair, it looked no different to my own hair. Be smart and thoroughly research, what suits your face, maintenance e.t.c.

Pumie

Reaction score
Noah if you could pm me thatd be great , for some reason I cant find a PM option, thats silly. anyways im rly looking forward to it.