Best concealer. Period!

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, how about massing up our combined knowledge into something usable, simply a vote for the best concealer product/combination , followed up by a brief motivation to why it truly is. I personally haven't used any of these products but I'll make an assesment based on what I've read so far.

Toppik is good for the vertex and midscalp area but comes off easily (even with a good hairspray). The stuff comes off in wet conditions and rubbing like when sleeping. The results can seem great in bad lighting but can be obvious in harsh lighting, like sunlight. It can then look a bit frizzy and sawdusty, especially when applied in excess. On the plusside It's easy to apply and takes less than five minutes (sprinkle, rub, spray and go). DermMatch is favored mostly for its perseverance, it comes off when you want to come off. It withstands light rain and wind, even rubbing if applied with hairspray, but its too risky to go swimming with it or sleep on a light colored pillow case. Its a bit of a hassle to apply as you have to "apply make up" to your hair and scalp. I don't know if it actually thickens up the hair or just colors the bald spots.

None of these products can be used to reconstruct the hairline fully, one must consider that they can only be applied at minimum half an inch behind the hairline to give a natural appearnce. They require a generous amount of thin hairs to adhere to and won't work on slick bald areas. Maybe even vellus hairs (often seen from finasteride treatment) can be thickened up with these products.

I haven't really understood what the difference between couvre and dermmatch are, or read that much about any other products.

The more comments the better. This thread is your best experiences and assesment of the best product out there for your situation. Describe your situation and the product you chose so we can help as many as we can (me included). Feel free to give any alternate information resources, and before and after pics in different lighting will probably be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Mikeman

Reaction score
I'm 25, been thinning since around 21-22, wasn't a big deal until about a year ago when it started getting pretty noticable....I have a bald spot as well as diffuse thinning on the top of my head and through my hairline...

What I've been doing is using dermmatch on the baldspot, top of my head AND hairline...then using 'hair so real' to coverup a bit more of the bald spot since the last few months, dermmatch hasn't been able to completely disguise that area.

The result is I look like I have a full head of hair, unless its a hot/sunshiney day then I can notice it along my hairline.

I don't worry about that though since I don't expect anyone to be analyzing my hairline like that.

I don't know why a lot of guys are so insecure about people finding out, it's not like they're out looking for it. And you look better with it covered up than if you were to do nothing anyways, at least I do.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
hi mikeman! I got a few quesitions that I'm sure some (me included) will probably be wondering.

How often do you use dermmatch and how long does it take you to apply it? Does it come off when the hair becomes wet like when sweating and in rain/swimming. Does it come off when rubbing and on pillowcases? How long and what color is your hair? Have you tried toppik instead of hairsoreal and in that case why have you opted for it instead? Have you tried any other products? Thanks!

p.s. other people who choose to reply can kindly respond to these questions also.

PJ

Reaction score
Hi Bash,

You'll find loads of info on dermatch and toppik if you look earlier on this thread.
From my own experience, I've used both toppik and dermatch and while Toppik is very good, dermatch for me wins hands down. I started using concealers when I started finasteride to offset any noticable shedding. Toppik is very easy to use, gives good coverage but.... 1) it's more expensive and does'nt last nearly as long as dermatch, 2) tends to rub off a bit easier, 3) I feel Dermatch gives better coverage unless you use loads of toppik.
Dermatch is great value and I reckon my initial supply will last nearly a full year. For me dermatch doesn't run when doing exercise, nor does it come off on the pillow. Obviously when you rub your head vigourously it will smudge off but for day to day activities it's great.

Read other peoples opinions, different people have different preferences. Give them both a go and make your own mind up.

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Dermatch, Courve and Toppik (not at the same time!)... I find them all to be good in different ways and I pick and choose depending on which style I fancy. Dermatch - good at colouring the scalp/taking away the scalp shine, Toppik - as it actually adds "hair" and Courve is again, good at colouring the scalp and when added to hair too it really thickens it up although it's a bit messy. All 3 leave a mess on my pillow unfortunately, if you get lucky and stay round a girl's house just say you need to go to the bathroom to wash the "styling products" out of your hair then turn the lights off ;)

Somewhat amazingly I have NEVER been busted using any of them even by fellow balding friends who have a habit of zooming onto my crown and hairline and idiots who would absolutely rip me to shreds if they knew.

Chicano

Reaction score
Thank you guys for sharing your experiences!!!

One last thing...which concealer works better for the area near the hairline??? Im using toppik right now but I found difficult to apply it in that area...its kinda tricky...Im thinking in giving Dermatch a try...

JamesB

Reaction score
Just tought i'd add to this.

I've got diffuse thining accross the top and a little on the hairline. I've been usingToppik for a couple of years now and find its great because its so easy to apply. In sunlight tho, I think its detectable. This probably depends on your hair colour tho.

Dermatch is fantastic. When i put it on, i don't actually rub it right onto the scalp like they say to do. I just try and get as much as I can on the actual hairs. It thicks the hairs by coating them in whatever dust or poweder the product is made from, and that way if somehow somebody actually sees my scalp, they're not going to see it being brown. The only down side to this is the colours don't entirly match my hair and I've got to mix 2 colours to get the right sort of colour.

Cheers,

puggwugg

Reaction score
Female's Opinion

Hi all...just wanted to throw in my opinion for review.

I'm a female that's been suffering hairloss since I was 13 - it's thin throughout my scalp...not in patches or spots. I went through just about every product and idea on the market; minoxidil, shampoos, creams, supplements, etc. The best results I've had are with the topical shading/coverups - no one has EVER been able to tell...and everyone honestly thinks my hair "got better".

Out of the topical coverups, I've used Toppik, Couvre, Fullmore, Dermatch, and Milliefolium. After about three years of use, I've found Dermatch to be the best overall. It's fairly easy to apply (for my whole head however, it takes about 25 mins to apply), looks the best around the hairline, stays on the longest until you shampoo out, and even stays on when I swim. Soap is what will take it off. The "side effects" would be that once dry, it tends to leave little colored flakes everywhere (it's the excess that comes off from your hairstrands...not your scalp; scalp still stays covered). I use the dark brown color, and it can get on your clothing and pillowcases - that's a pain. At someone else's house, I usually cover the pillow with a dark towel or simply slip an extra t-shirt over the pillow. The other downfall, is it does get on your hands and fingers - especially with me needing to pull my hair up or just running my hand through my hair. Overall though, it's the best at staying-put, lasting the longest, and being the most affordable.

Toppik to me, was a complete waste of money and totally too expensive to keep using (it doesn't last long!) The fibers do add a little extra weight to your hair, but come off sooooo easily - even when I shook my head! And don't even think of adding conditioners, smoothers, or silkening adgents to your head or this stuff DOESN'T stick. This stuff gets all over my bathroom and clothes. Fullmore is the spray-stuff also offered by the Toppik company. It works well, is much more affordable, but doesn't last as long and has a yucky smell to it. Plus, the stuff comes off easily in just water - those streaks of dark water running down your face and back look so natural when you're swimming, don't they? I think it's way easier to apply than Dermatch however - all you do is point and spray. Couvre works well enough, but doesn't hold, is messy, and again, comes off with just water. Didn't care for it. Millefolium is similar to Fullmore but again has the same effects - comes off too easily with water/scratching/clothing, etc. and the containers don't hold much. Millefolium has a non-aerosol pump that can be tricky to use. Just didn't care for it.

Bottom line, I honestly think for the money and maintenance, Dermatch is the best for me. I've even found I can VERY lightly wash my hair a few times before completely giving it a thorough shampoo scrub...which helps make it last longer, gets rid of the excess (hair looks more normal), and eases the constant applying process. It's the only stuff I feel safe swimming with - no messy "leaks". So while it can be a pain to use/apply, I'm still really happy with it.

All products of course need touchups, have messy side effects to them, and can be costly. Hopefully my advice can help you out and narrow down which is right for you.

Brain123

Reaction score
Puggwugg,

Thank you for your great insight. I'm thinking of getting Dermatch but I've got some questions. Does it really fully color your hair? over your original hair color? You see that it stays in your hair after washing at a few spots, after how long does it disapear? Also is it possible to use styling gels when using Dermatch?

Thank you,
Brain.

puggwugg

Reaction score
Brain,

Happy to answer your questions. One of my biggest concerns before I purchased Dermatch (or any other concealer) was if it would indeed cover my scalp completely - and not leave any faint areas. Bar none, above and beyond the other products I've tried, Dermatch will 100% completely cover and STICK to your scalp. It applies directly over you existing hair and blends in perfectly. I've never had worries that you could see through this product (or that anyone could tell I had this stuff on). It's very good at covering up thinness. Also, I am able to use any type of styling product I wish without worry. Just a note though, Dermatch has a type of sticking-consistency, so you may not need gels and the like - it holds your hair well on its own. And lastly, about the general wear, like I mentioned, I am able to rinse my hair a few times before giving a thorough shampoo. For me, this helps to keep my hair from drying out too much and also keeps me from constantly applying the stuff. On average, I can rinse my hair twice GENTLY with just water to wash then usually by day three, do a thorough shampoo. After a few washings, it's time to reapply. See how it works for you and your hair however - you might get better results. Feel free to write again if you have further questions! Definitely give the stuff a try!

Brain123

Reaction score
Puggwugg, thank you! I didnt really find a answer to if I can use gels without a problem? And does it coloryou hair or give it just another shade?

Thanks alot!

Kind regards,
Brain.

puggwugg

Reaction score
Gels, sprays, lotions, smoothers, etc. - I've found I can put just about anything in my hair without any problems using it with Dermatch. It doesn't turn your existing hair a different color - maybe just slightly at the roots, since that's where the product is applied. I use dark brown and it blends in perfectly with my natural hair color - no one has been able to tell I use this stuff. It colors your scalp - not your hair really - so no worries about different hair colors. Hope this helps!

Petchsky

Reaction score
I have just purchased some Dermatch. Been using toppik lately as i have started a new job and decided to get a hair transplant. Therefore i need thickness now so no one notices.

When it comes in the post i'll use it, leave it a few days and report back with my findings and comparisons of the two products.

Safe !

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
Dermatch is pretty good and once you get "good" at applying it, the mess and the amount of time required to put it on becomes minimal.

What? Dermatch gets rid of the shiney scalp? Maybe I have an oily scalp but when its flashed under lighting, dermatch makes my scalp shine. The weird thing is that the rest of my hair is thick black while only the scalp shines through. It doesn't look natural at all :( any help from experienced users would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah if you touch your hair or scratch your scalp after application, your hand will turn into whatever color your dermatch is.

The only 2 negative comments that I can say about dermatch are:

1. It comes off if you touch your hair or scratch an itch.

2. It smells bad! The smell is so strong that even my styling product can't cover the odor. It definitely does not smell like shampoo. It smells like some cosmetic product men in their 40's or older would use. If dermatch could create their product to smell like a fruity or a fragrance shampoo such as Pantene, Garnier Fructis, or Herbal Essence(s), that would really help lessen detection of the use of the product.

Other than that, it gets its job done.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
I have just purchased some Dermatch. Been using toppik lately as i have started a new job and decided to get a hair transplant. Therefore i need thickness now so no one notices.

When it comes in the post i'll use it, leave it a few days and report back with my findings and comparisons of the two products.

Safe !

Pretty pissed off. I got the medium brown colour which does not match my hair at all. I mean, it looks red! and who the hell wants the ginger look? Looks like i need the light brown after all.

I found the Dermatch hard to apply and managed to colour the scalp at the front, which i didn't want to do, and i could not get this off. Annoyed, i washed it off, very messy, and thought...f*** it!

Think i'll try Nanogen next, which i think is the same as toppik, but it suits me better than Dermatch and is easier to apply.

JamesB

Reaction score
How well do the colours match? Are there more colours (more choices) than Toppik, and does anybody know if they ship outside the US (From the UK?)

Cheers

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you guys something here.....I am probably the guy with the longest experience with concealers. I am going on 13 years with 100% full scalp Couvre coverage, everday. I can tell you yes it is messy but I can completely hide a crown which is totally gone, and can feather it up to the diffuse front.

Couvre is really unbelievable for those who have not tried.