Balding Early? You Must Balme Your Mother!!!

Baldingmonkey

My Regimen
Reaction score
no one in my entire genetic linage both paternal and maternal has started to bald early all of them started in mid 40s or 50s but here i am balding at such young age from 26 to 30 years old (where i'm now)
i guess as long as you carry the genes for androgenic alopecia it can be triggered at any post-puberty age in your lifetime.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
no one in my entire genetic linage both paternal and maternal has started to bald early all of them started in mid 40s or 50s but here i am balding at such young age from 26 to 30 years old (where i'm now)
i guess as long as you carry the genes for androgenic alopecia it can be triggered at any post-puberty age in your lifetime.

You don't inherit all the genes from mo and po equally, some are manifest from others in the direct line like your grandfather, as an example. Also, some genes you have that would ordinarily be positive for hair may be compromised because other genes are not producing chemicals needed in the signaling pathways to sustain hair throughout life. Then there is androgen sensitivity considerations which could impact. Then, immune and inflammatory factors you've inherited that could throw a wrench into the works. Looking at what we know about genetic links that go into hair follicle development there's a lot of complex interaction going on.

Baldingmonkey

My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't inherit all the genes from mo and po equally, some are manifest from others in the direct line like your grandfather, as an example. Also, some genes you have that would ordinarily be positive for hair may be compromised because other genes are not producing chemicals needed in the signaling pathways to sustain hair throughout life. Then there is androgen sensitivity considerations which could impact. Then, immune and inflammatory factors you've inherited that could throw a wrench into the works. Looking at what we know about genetic links that go into hair follicle development there's a lot of complex interaction going on.
such a frustrating reality!! so if it's this complex i doubt we'll ever have a cure/effective treatment anytime soon.

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
why do I always get the feeling that baldness is a recessive gene? This theory can be childish but don't forget to giggle. :D
a - recessive baldness causing gene.
A - dominant baldness preventing gene.

one gene comes from mother and the other from father.

Table : -

8ecb82322295758f63aee7d85b61a94f54b9f9f3.png

if you have atleast one A, you won't suffer baldness.

All the bald guys belong to (aa) categories. Just my childish thesis based on the posts here - some say their father doesn't have baldness but they have, implying they got it from the maternal side (got it from grand father). While on the other hand, my baldness pattern resembles my father and my grandpa, even at the age of 75, has much better hair than my father.

And there are some users saying they are the only one in the family to be cursed with this disease. This leads to only one conclusion - both the father and grandfather were lucky to have atleast one A in their genes. Those users were not.

I would like @Armando Jose and @S Foote. to throw some light upon this topic. They know a lot about these things. ;)

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
why do I always get the feeling that baldness is a recessive gene? This theory can be childish but don't forget to giggle. :D
a - recessive baldness causing gene.
A - dominant baldness preventing gene.

one gene comes from mother and the other from father.

Table : -

View attachment 102842

if you have atleast one A, you won't suffer baldness.

All the bald guys belong to (aa) categories. Just my childish thesis based on the posts here - some say their father doesn't have baldness but they have, implying they got it from the maternal side (got it from grand father). While on the other hand, my baldness pattern resembles my father and my grandpa, even at the age of 75, has much better hair than my father.

And there are some users saying they are the only one in the family to be cursed with this disease. This leads to only one conclusion - both the father and grandfather were lucky to have atleast one A in their genes. Those users were not.

I would like @Armando Jose and @S Foote. to throw some light upon this topic. They know a lot about these things. ;)
Baldness is not a combnation of two genes like in your example. It is more like a combination of a lot of genes.
Eye color is dependent on just a few genes while hair color is dependent on more genes. That is why there are just a few possible eye colors while hair color can be a mixture of moms and dads hair.
Natural bright blond people wont exist in 2200 (predicted by scientists) because blonde is recessive. Just populations like northern europe countries have them still in high numbers because they have a low percentage of foreigners with a different gen pool. So assuming hairloss is recessive and dependent on a lot of genes (which we know from a lot of studies) baldness would get rarer over time. But it is kind of the oppisite. A lot of studies show peolpe start balding earlier. So I assume it is not recessive (of course in my example i did not cosidere the chanign livestyle which has also a big effect)

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Baldness is not a combnation of two genes like in your example. It is more like a combination of a lot of genes.
Eye color is dependent on just a few genes while hair color is dependent on more genes. That is why there are just a few possible eye colors while hair color can be a mixture of moms and dads hair.
Natural bright blond people wont exist in 2200 (predicted by scientists) because blonde is recessive. Just populations like northern europe countries have them still in high numbers because they have a low percentage of foreigners with a different gen pool. So assuming hairloss is recessive and dependent on a lot of genes (which we know from a lot of studies) baldness would get rarer over time. But it is kind of the oppisite. A lot of studies show peolpe start balding earlier. So I assume it is not recessive (of course in my example i did not cosidere the chanign livestyle which has also a big effect)
80% men experience baldness by the age 70. So it is rampant .it is clearly a dominant trait. If it wasn't we would not have had hairloss epidemic.

Bigoldben

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Take a moment next time you're out and try to spot a man over 50 with thick hair with no hairloss. You'll struggle. I cannot think of a single man I know over 50 with a full (as in juvenile) head of hair.

The talk of blame your mother's side, mine presumably comes from my maternal Grandfather, my brother's certainly does. However within my family I can think of all sorts of options. My maternal grandfather was nw5-7 by 30, his maternal Grandfather had a decent head of hair (or a toupée) at an old age, his father went bald in his 40s. In my ancestry there's men whos maternal Grandfather and father both had full heads til 60-70 and went bald relatively young. I know brothers with entirely different hair prospects. From my experience a bold maternal Grandfather makes it a lot more likely that you will also go bald however there's lots and lots of factors in play.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
That could mean a different cause, your environment or diet is increasing the speed at which it is happening.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think there could be a clock inside genome that yet not known to genetics that helps cells to switch on and off many genes. Just think why do boys and girls starts pubertal changes several years later after they born?. Why pubertal process stops in few years for ever?
Do they get new genes to start puberty? No! We born with genes that never changes or there is no new addition(gene editing can change them now BTW)
There is a clock for sure which tuned in from conception .
If genes that causes male pattern baldness had tuned in to get activated earlier in life then you would be early balder.for few there genes are protected or tuned in to get activated far later in their life. These people never becomes bald. I wish I was one of them.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think there could be a clock inside genome that yet not known to genetics that helps cells to switch on and off many genes. Just think why do boys and girls starts pubertal changes several years later after they born?. Why pubertal process stops in few years for ever?
Do they get new genes to start puberty? No! We born with genes that never changes or there is no new addition(gene editing can change them now BTW)
There is a clock for sure which tuned in from conception .
If genes that causes male pattern baldness had tuned in to get activated earlier in life then you would be early balder.for few there genes are protected or tuned in to get activated far later in their life. These people never becomes bald. I wish I was one of them.

There is such a clock - Horvath's clock.

br1

Reaction score
Baldness I.e. androgenic alopecia is polygenic condition involving many genes. The largest study in 2016 conducted by researchers in Europe found many autosomal and sex linked genes in relation to baldness. The study itself interesting because it was largest and carried with precision.
I know this study had been discussed here before. But when I read the study I found something interesting . the study concluded that early baldness is mostly caused by X linked genes . AR and Ectodyplcine gene. AR gene showed strongest association for early onset balding . there are many genes on x chromosome that study implicated but the AR and EDAR genes were found to be cardinal prerequisite for baldness in early onset of male pattern baldness.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5308812/
The study also estimated the SNP-based heritability of early-onset (56% (SE 22%) from the autosomes, 23% (SE 1.1%) from the X chromosome) and late-onset baldness (42% (SE 23%) from the autosomes, 10% (SE 5%) from the X chromosome).
As most of us knows we men inherit X chromosome from our mothers . so maternal genes are gatekeepers who decides whether baldness should come in or not.if they are corrupted they would allow baldness to come in.so if you are Early balder ,blame your mother! Or perhaps maternal grandpa.

Complete bullshit. My mother's entire family is 100% full heads.. my dad's 100% baldies.

And here I am. f*** this study.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Complete bullshit. My mother's entire family is 100% full heads.. my dad's 100% baldies.

And here I am. f*** this study.
May be your maternal grandmother had passed x linked bad genes to your mother only, which has not shown its effect in her but ruining you. If Anybody back to great gtandparents had such a genes they still put you at risk.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Daughters get their one x chromosome from their father.father gives his entire and only x chromosome to all of his daughters BC men possess only one x chromosome. So looking at maternal grandpa could give someone clues about his hair fate and other x linked traits. So if grandpa was bald then your mother surly carries that copy and chances of inheriting that copy for you is 50% .
In your case you might have inherited grandma x genes . if most of your maternal uncles are /were bald then their is solid chance of you going bald .I am sure all your uncles from mother's side are /were bald.

The only balding men in my entire family for the last 100 years or so have been me and my father. My maternal grandpa looked like James Dean when he was like 70.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Btw, is it possible to get your hair from let's say your grandfather's brother or whatever? or is it always your father/mother's father?