bald= ugly? depends on your overall facial and skull strectrue.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
If I walked around with confidence ie with my shoulders back, head up, chest out, I would be percieved as arrogant. "oh look at him, with his big bald head and goatee, he thinks hes so big!"

You being serious? see this is why i think sometimes you are paranoid...again i said sometimes not all the time...this paints a picture in m mind of you walking down the highstreet and noone is doing anything but you think "oh i cant act confident otherwise they call me arrogant" if im wrong then my bad but it is what i think.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, in Romania we have a NW7 president:
http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traian_Băsescu

He's a very corrupt a**h** and did nothing for the population, only for himself and his political party , but the people in romania elected him as president twice!!!
Because he has great confidence and knows how to trick and fool the voters!!!

Yes, at first everyone is affected by hairloss, more or less, but that diminishes with time!
And what's bad in wearing a cap?

And that above is a really good picture of him But take a look:
http://www.libertatea.ro/detalii/articol/traian-basescu-suvita-crin-antonescu-par-lung-rock-
402716.html

The other guy with long hair is one of the other candidates at the last elections in 2009.

And..feeling bad about your baldness? Ok, makes perfect sense, but in which way does it help you??
It helps feeling bad about an aspect you can change, such as being fat, smoking, drinking too much. But feeling bad about your hairloss... either you get a transplant or accept it.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Look at my signature, I'm having my first transplant in 6 months.

How does it help feeling bad about it? That's a silly question. We can't help it! We feel bad because hair loss is bad, hair loss makes us looks uglier, makes us feel less than, hair loss was, is and will always be seen as a flaw by society. Baldness is a problem that must be solved, otherwise it wouldn't be a 3,5 billion dollar a year industry.

Good luck with the transplant!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
One of our most influential presidents, Dwight Eisenhower, was slick bald and we had a couple others like John Quincy Adams but after the televised debates started with Nixon vs. Kennedy image became a bigger deal. I imagine anyone who was bald and considering running for president wore a toupee after that.

seb

Reaction score
You being serious? see this is why i think sometimes you are paranoid...again i said sometimes not all the time...this paints a picture in m mind of you walking down the highstreet and noone is doing anything but you think "oh i cant act confident otherwise they call me arrogant" if im wrong then my bad but it is what i think.

My "paranoid" tendencies has been largely bourne out of years of tangable negative comments of complete strangers and work colleagues, friends etc. The majority of people that I come into daily contact with ARE laughing at me/insulting me.....and not just because I am bald.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Honestly, my advice is to leave seb and UCM alone. These guys will never be happy. Why not let them be. The more you fuel their fire, the more they will try to refute you. Its going to be a tug of war with them. Seb and UCM are grown man and have a right to be miserable if they chose that path. At least with Fred, he appreciates people's efforts to give him some support.

I was tormented as a kid by my father, brother, and school mates for various physical issues and yet today I do have "scars" but I have learned that people who mock other people are insecure bullies who want to feel empowered because they are self aware of their own physical issues. They just try to shift their own thoughts of insecurities by focusing on someone else's insecurities so they can feel better about themselves. To me, that is a mentally "sick" person.

When I see this world has people like Thom, Chris, DannyBoyy, Quantum Cat, Fred, Primo, Cassin, and many others I am very grateful because these people appreciate and offer the brotherhood and mental support for those who are feeling down about themselves. It just reassures me we have good people in this world. But shifting your positive mental energy to people like seb and UCM is like letting a vampire suck the life out of you. And just to make it clear, I respect seb and UCM's feelings and have absolutely nothing against them but I just think you are wasting your time try to make these two see the world through rose colored glasses.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks House, and likewise it's good too see people with a positive outlook such as yourself out there. I do know that if I was fully bald I would want to offer people support and try to cheer them up a bit because that's what this forum should be about. I just feel bad for the younger, less emotionally stable, ones who come here and see 30-40 somethings tell them that their life is over because of this. We should be taking them under our wing, not scaring the life out of them.

medilook

Banned
Reaction score
Damn I wish propecia didn't have any side effects. I mean do you guys think its healthy to take a pill for the next 10-20 years of your life o maintain hair? It seems most take the pill for 1-5 years an then quit becuz of sides, scared of getting sides, or they just don't care as much. It just doesn't seem like a goo idea o block dht. It's what make u a man as someone told me.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look at my signature, I'm having my first transplant in 6 months.

How does it help feeling bad about it? That's a silly question. We can't help it! We feel bad because hair loss is bad, hair loss makes us looks uglier, makes us feel less than, hair loss was, is and will always be seen as a flaw by society. Baldness is a problem that must be solved, otherwise it wouldn't be a 3,5 billion dollar a year industry.

Yet it hasn't been solved and millions of ppl before us have learned to live with it, even when it wasn't as socially accepted as it is now. Baldies do get **** thrown at them for sure, but imagine if you were bald 20-40 years ago. Now that would've sucked big time.

Damn I wish propecia didn't have any side effects. I mean do you guys think its healthy to take a pill for the next 10-20 years of your life o maintain hair? It seems most take the pill for 1-5 years an then quit becuz of sides, scared of getting sides, or they just don't care as much. It just doesn't seem like a goo idea o block dht. It's what make u a man as someone told me.

After my experience with finasteride I can't help but agree. It affects some men more than others, that's a fact, so it's definitely a big gamble to start taking it.

seb

Reaction score
My father started balding when he was 17 in 1979 and was completely bald by the age of 23. So I have a first-hand experience in my family.

He told me this: you could not be young and bald in the 80's, it is as simple as that. It really meant social death at that time, if you were seen shaved or even buzzed at the club, people would think you were a skinhead or a "nazi". That's why he glued a hair piece on at the age of 18.

Sure being bald at 50 or even 40 has never really been seen as detrimental, but bald at 23 in 1985, forget it, you were screwed.

He says that at least now, being bald and young is acceptable, and he's right. I'm 23 in 2013 and I'm glad things have evolved, that people don't stare at me on the street or at the bar. The only major incident I've had for being bald was with dumb middle-aged British guys who seemed to have got stuck in the year 1985.

Young and bald is NOT accepted in todays society, at best its tolerated. In the Uk there is a multitude of, basically racist groups ie BNP and the EDL. These are largely frequented by shaven headed, tattooed, lower class scum......no wonder I get labelled in the same mould.

seb

Reaction score
That why I said "acceptable" and not accepted seb. There are people who just won't understand or evolve, like the chavs who made fun of me in that Irish bar.

Perahps you can understand(some what) where I am coming from living in a working class city full of chavs, hence the constant mocking of my overall appearance.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
"Accepted"? Why should one person "accept" other person he sees on the street????
What's this "acceptance" and how is it defined?
Why should you strive to be "accepted" by those morons who laugh about your baldness???

I strongly think it's only in our heads this problem with "acceptance".
Anyway you seem to have another problem: you don't accept yourself!!!
And no person is perfect. Some are bald, other are fat, have a big nose, are short, etc...
Almost everyone can be mocked of!!!
I think even you can mock back the ones who laugh about your bald head. It is very easy to mock someone.

Oh, and excuse me, UK people do not accept baldness? Bad for them, because i think UK is a country which has a very big number of bald peple compared to others, and also a country with not so good-looking people, in general. so they should manage to "accept" it.

Oh, and i think the problem with acceptance is bad-formulated.
People are free to not accept negative things in others, things someone do intentionally, and that can be changed.
For example, i don't accept when someone steals something from me.
But if one says that he doesn't accept that you're bald, he-s a completely moron!! Baldness is not something you desired or you chose!! It's a ****ing genetic condition, for god's sake!! How cand that be accepted or not accepted????? People who say they don't accept baldness in others are super-stupid .

And, if you don't mind, what's your ocupation?? What do you do for a living?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
The reality is that people make fun of other people for trivial things all the time. It's just the malevolent nature of humanity. Should it be so? No, but it is reality and we must endure it. While you are right that anyone who can reject someone solely on their lack of hair is a moron, when those morons consist of the majority of the population then it's better to conform than to be in the right.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
I'm almost in my last year at university. I'm doing a master in political communication. My future career is also one of the main reasons I think I should have a hair transplant.

I can't imagine myself building a good career as a bald 25 year old kid. I'll have my first job interviews about a month after my first hair transplant (so I'll still appear completely bald).

Being bald doesn't seem to cause me trouble attracting girls but I wonder if it could affect the outcome of a job interview...

It shouldnt effect your chances in the interview but if it did cause for some reason the interviewer has a problem with it then tell he/she to piss off...seriously you being bald or not shouldnt have a effect on your chances at all.

seb

Reaction score
"Accepted"? Why should one person "accept" other person he sees on the street????
What's this "acceptance" and how is it defined?
Why should you strive to be "accepted" by those morons who laugh about your baldness???

Postman. Or mail-man for our North American friends on here.

I strongly think it's only in our heads this problem with "acceptance".
Anyway you seem to have another problem: you don't accept yourself!!!
And no person is perfect. Some are bald, other are fat, have a big nose, are short, etc...
Almost everyone can be mocked of!!!
I think even you can mock back the ones who laugh about your bald head. It is very easy to mock someone.

Oh, and excuse me, UK people do not accept baldness? Bad for them, because i think UK is a country which has a very big number of bald peple compared to others, and also a country with not so good-looking people, in general. so they should manage to "accept" it.

Oh, and i think the problem with acceptance is bad-formulated.
People are free to not accept negative things in others, things someone do intentionally, and that can be changed.
For example, i don't accept when someone steals something from me.
But if one says that he doesn't accept that you're bald, he-s a completely moron!! Baldness is not something you desired or you chose!! It's a ****ing genetic condition, for god's sake!! How cand that be accepted or not accepted????? People who say they don't accept baldness in others are super-stupid .

And, if you don't mind, what's your ocupation?? What do you do for a living?

Postman, or mail-man for our North American friends on here.

- - - Updated - - -

It shouldnt effect your chances in the interview but if it did cause for some reason the interviewer has a problem with it then tell he/she to piss off...seriously you being bald or not shouldnt have a effect on your chances at all.

I know you are not going to believe me,but when I was severely receeding(at 21) I was refused a job, the interviewer assumed I had a criminal record. I was clean shaven then ,and only approx 12.5st. Another job I was refused because the way I look, although I was 15st then, and sported the goatee. There IS a prejudice against bald men, if you are pale, fairly big, and sport facial hair.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and a few years ago, I went for a supermarket job, stacking shelves. Was asked if I was prepared to shave the goatee off as customers dont like facial hair. True story.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Oh, and a few years ago, I went for a supermarket job, stacking shelves. Was asked if I was prepared to shave the goatee off as customers dont like facial hair. True story.

Lots of employers demand that employees clean shave everyday especially when it comes to customer service jobs, this is hardly a surprise. If you just shaved your neck and kept a short, trimmed full "metro" beard as you call it, then who knows they might have been ok, most are thesedys, but in my experience only teachers and academics can get away with bushy goatees and other styles of flagrant and wild facial hair thesedays.

However in relation to shaved heads and interviews I totally sympathise with everyone here, I'm going into teaching this year and will be interviewed, judged and evaluated regularly over the next 12months and while I've been desperate to buzz my hair down to a 2 for a long time, now I think I' going to wait a little while longer because this will be such a pivotal year for my career and I simply can't afford for some ultra pc, liberal, lefty b*tch head of department to be taking in an instant dislike to me and judging me badly because she thinks I look too "rough" or "thuggish" to be working in a school.

I absolutely hate walking around with this grown out receded, diffused hair and keep it as short as possible without actually shaving it, but I'm going to have to endure it for a little longer. Once I've established a good working reputation over a couple of years and made myself indespensable, then I'll buzz it off and they wouldn't be able to do or say sh&t.

It's hard though when you're starting off from the bottom like this.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Young and bald is NOT accepted in todays society, at best its tolerated. In the Uk there is a multitude of, basically racist groups ie BNP and the EDL. These are largely frequented by shaven headed, tattooed, lower class scum......no wonder I get labelled in the same mould.

i know what you mean; I'm always self-conscious about being labeled as a nazi skinhead. That's partly because I don't want to dress like a metrosexual etc. and wear kinda casual clothes...

Quantum Cat

Reaction score

yeah telling an interviewer to piss off is a really great way to become employed. You think jobs are easy to get or in abundant supply these days? They're not - you need to take what you can get unfortunately.

No interviewer is going to say 'we don't want to employ you because you're balding' even if that's what they're thinking. Just like nobody would admit to not employing an ethnic minority.

your appearance shouldn't effect your chances, but sadly in this world, often it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of employers demand that employees clean shave everyday especially when it comes to customer service jobs, this is hardly a surprise. If you just shaved your neck and kept a short, trimmed full "metro" beard as you call it, then who knows they might have been ok, most are thesedys, but in my experience only teachers and academics can get away with bushy goatees and other styles of flagrant and wild facial hair thesedays.

However in relation to shaved heads and interviews I totally sympathise with everyone here, I'm going into teaching this year and will be interviewed, judged and evaluated regularly over the next 12months and while I've been desperate to buzz my hair down to a 2 for a long time, now I think I' going to wait a little while longer because this will be such a pivotal year for my career and I simply can't afford for some ultra pc, liberal, lefty b*tch head of department to be taking in an instant dislike to me and judging me badly because she thinks I look too "rough" or "thuggish" to be working in a school.

I absolutely hate walking around with this grown out receded, diffused hair and keep it as short as possible without actually shaving it, but I'm going to have to endure it for a little longer. Once I've established a good working reputation over a couple of years and made myself indespensable, then I'll buzz it off and they wouldn't be able to do or say sh&t.

It's hard though when you're starting off from the bottom like this.

Primo, I don't know what your accent is like, but if you're well educated and articulate that will come across well, even if they do think you look thuggish because you have a shaved head.

Here's a tip - buy some cheap reading glasses with weak lenses so you can see pretty clearly through them still, and wear them to job interviews or other official events where you want to make a good impression. You'd be amazed at how much more 'intelligent' and professional you can appear just by the simple fact of wearing glasses. And if you have a shaved/skinhead it will help to counter the potential 'thuggish' look

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
yeah telling an interviewer to piss off is a really great way to become employed. You think jobs are easy to get or in abundant supply these days? They're not - you need to take what you can get unfortunately.

No interviewer is going to say 'we don't want to employ you because you're balding' even if that's what they're thinking. Just like nobody would admit to not employing an ethnic minority.

your appearance shouldn't effect your chances, but sadly in this world, often it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Primo, I don't know what your accent is like, but if you're well educated and articulate that will come across well, even if they do think you look thuggish because you have a shaved head.

Here's a tip - buy some cheap reading glasses with weak lenses so you can see pretty clearly through them still, and wear them to job interviews or other official events where you want to make a good impression. You'd be amazed at how much more 'intelligent' and professional you can appear just by the simple fact of wearing glasses. And if you have a shaved/skinhead it will help to counter the potential 'thuggish' look

Dear lord talk about nitpicking you got what i ment dude it's just an expression obviously dont really tell them to piss off lol...wow.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Thanks Quantum, I like to think I come across well, in fact given that I'll be teaching in a big northern city, I'll most likely be regarded as the fancy, posh southerner, lol, but the reading glasses are a very good tip. I'll probably try that in my second year, when I pluck up the courage to buzz my hair down fully.

I'm sure you can understand why I'm so paranoid though lol, I'm a pretty well educated, mainly liberal guy, but with all the middle-class, hyper-liberal, ultra-pc women that work in education, I don't want to be judged as a "thug" before I've even had a chance to show them I can do the job properly.

Also I think the kids and people in general take me a lot more seriously with shorter hair. Earlier this year I had a couple of year 8s taking the p*ss out of me for my combforward hairstyle in class, so since then I always have it short and swept back and no one, not even the kids have given me any sh*t...

Again last week coming back on the train, my hair was long and overgrown as I was up north training and literally had no money for a haircut, this bunch of young northern lads started smirking and taking the p*ss out of my hair under their breath right to my face, it was similar to Fred's experience... If I didn't work in a profession where I have to have my criminal records checked every 5 minutes, lol, then I would have dragged the guy out onto the platform and killed him, lol, but as it was I just had to walk away raging as I knew things would have escalated very quickly otherwise and I would lose my career,

Ultimately, these guys were just a bunch of shtmunchers all probably working for minumum wage in retail or manual labouring, but there were about a dozen other shaved bald guys on the train that day and I didn't see them getting any sht, so I'm sure if I'd had my hair shorter, they wouldn't have bothered saying anything to me... In my experience it's the grown out, fake looking combforward look, that attracts more ridicule than anything else. With the buzzed look it's less unsettling visually and has more symmetry and frame.