Avodart Rash? Anyone Experienced This?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
So a few months back I started sporadically getting little rashes which usually cropped up on my shoulders. It coincided both with the initiation of avodart treatment and I had also raised my oral minoxidil dose around the same time. These rashes feel like a contact dermatitis but can’t be given that I’ve not bought any new clothes or used any new body washes or perfumes. They’re itchy, red bumps. My skin all over tends to get itchy and sort of dry as well even where there are no rashes. Anyway, I thought it was most likely the minoxidil and since I had other sides I had to drop the dose back anyway. These little rashes have popped up again every now and then on my shoulders but tend to go away. In the last week or so they showed up again and didn’t think much of it. Until it spread bilaterally to my thighs, knees and wrists, equally on both sides. I don’t think it’s just a coincidence now. It’s also coincided with some seriously increased shedding, and I can remember when the rashes first showed up my shedding had increased then too. I think it may be the avodart. I have no other serious side effects. I’ll attach a few photos of what these rashes look like. My question is whether or not anyone else has had experience with something similar whilst taking avodart? Any input greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 711CC840-9110-4F54-B805-D61E3A533AA9.jpeg
    711CC840-9110-4F54-B805-D61E3A533AA9.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 442
  • E39C30C1-87A6-45A9-B2B0-70F0DD9656E4.jpeg
    E39C30C1-87A6-45A9-B2B0-70F0DD9656E4.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 540

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
It could be because of androgens ? When I stopped Cyproterone I had rash for some time, it reoccurs time to time
Well my skin is actually very dry and itchy all over and my pimples are gone so I would have thought that my androgens are Lower atm

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Georgie : Ok I don't know then ... I hope you will find the answer :/

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi, it could be the minoxidil or the dutas. Im more prone to say its minoxidil because its more allergic than duta..
You should quit minoxidil, the drug go out from your blood in 5 days, so after 2 weeks you should be recover if its the minoxidil the culprit.
Hope its not the dutas, because that sh*t stay 6 months in the blood.

Im sorry it happens. I lived the same nightmare too. It really sucks

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, but minoxidil is more prone to give allergic reaction than finas/duta
This is messed up but if it means hair then I’m willing to deal with it. If it’s just the avodart not doing anything and making me sick though I’d be willing to quit

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is messed up but if it means hair then I’m willing to deal with it. If it’s just the avodart not doing anything and making me sick though I’d be willing to quit

In my experience its not good. You are going to deal with an overeactive immune system, this condition can make you more prone to become allergic to others medication you are taking. Plus that allergic reaction cause more inflammation, not good for hairs and health.. :(

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the pictures, but the "rashes" on your legs look more like straight up acne? Maybe the increase in test from dutasteride is causing acne?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the pictures, but the "rashes" on your legs look more like straight up acne? Maybe the increase in test from dutasteride is causing acne?
No they are itchy like a contact dermatitis. I had acne all through highschool, it’s definitely not that.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience its not good. You are going to deal with an overeactive immune system, this condition can make you more prone to become allergic to others medication you are taking. Plus that allergic reaction cause more inflammation, not good for hairs and health.. :(
Hmm good point

PK26

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it gets worse you may wanna go have them look at it again, sudden rash reactions after new drugs, in very rare cases, can be Stevens Johnson Syndrome. They can also just be allergic reactions. I doubt Duta would cause SJS, and the Doctor probably already ruled it out, but just something to be watchful of.

Last edited:

nicksparrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
oral minoxidil isn't even that safe it has many unwanted side effects compared to the 1% sexual sides you'd get from dutas.
i've never had a problem like yours after 7+months on dutas.
cut the oral minoxidil or at least switch to topical.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
oral minoxidil isn't even that safe it has many unwanted side effects compared to the 1% sexual sides you'd get from dutas.
i've never had a problem like yours after 7+months on dutas.
cut the oral minoxidil or at least switch to topical.
Already use topical mate. Oral is probably the only thing that actually grows any hair on my head.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually now that I’m putting it all together, it may be the oral minoxidil. I’ve recently noticed that my body hair has gotten a little darker and thicker again, my hairline has newer, dark hairs, I’m getting some facial bloating and hair shedding. Maybe the minoxidil has “switched on” again (because I go through cycles where it works then stops working).

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually now that I’m putting it all together, it may be the oral minoxidil. I’ve recently noticed that my body hair has gotten a little darker and thicker again, my hairline has newer, dark hairs, I’m getting some facial bloating and hair shedding. Maybe the minoxidil has “switched on” again (because I go through cycles where it works then stops working).
How long do your shedding cycles last? Mine has been going on for 3 and a half months and is getting progressively worse. I counted 33 hairs by rubbing my hair in the sink for a few minutes, worst its ever been and its heartbreaking.
As for your rashes, I think its androgen related, I don't think minoxidil could cause rashes like that? Or at least I've not seen any reports of that. It could be the dutasteride, but it could also be the enza.. Have you considered trying 50mg Androcur instead of dutasteride?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score

When i was allergic to minoxidil my hairs improved as well. Even if you are allergic it doesnt affect the effects of the drug. Im sorry to say that if you have a true allergy to minoxidil even topical will cause issues but probably less severe because there is less drug in the blood