Atcc Pta 6475, The Cure We Aren't Talking About?

j4r0d

Reaction score
Just to chime in. I've been doing the probiotic yogurt for about 2-3 months now. I've gotten full "regrowth" on left temple and minimal/partial on right. When I say regrowth I'm talking about velus hair covering the temple that was previous bald. Also dense regrowth in the hairline. The hair shaft seems slightly thicker than normal velus hair though. I find it odd how the two sides are significantly different. Also I've been trying several other things at the same time so I can't say what it was from. Also tried a topical that improves cell communication/tight junctions, PEA/sodium valproate/retinol/calcipotriol which is supposed to normalize the genes involved in balding, and tri-acytl-adenosine. So who knows, likely everything is having some impact. The hair is growing but significantly slower than the rest of my hair and about 5mm to alittle over 1cm now after around 2 months. Had a large amount of break out in the area initially I don't know if it was because of the b12 in the calcipotrol cream or because of new hairs causing ingrown hair bumps as a side note.

As for the yogurt there is a lengthy thread on longecity going into detail on the best way to make it which sounds like can make a significant difference which I've followed from the start. Biogaia is basically the only way to get it. Secondly you want to use a lactose free milk given the other strain of bacteria uses lactose yet the one we want doesn't so you don't want significantly more of the one we don't want than of the one we do. So look for a lactose free milk that is low in sugar. Secondly you want to use glucose as the source of food for the bacteria for the best success for the strain we want, this is easy to find it's called dextrose powder. There is a issue with getting it from corn syrup I forget the details. Third you want to heat the milk to 180-190 F for around 10 minutes to break down the milk so the yogurt doesn't form into clumps of curd and whey. Mine consistently is basically very thick plain greek yogurt. Fourth you can just crush 2 tablets and make a mini batch for around 14-18 hours. Then use that to make a whole batch so then you don't waste 10+ tablets per batch (because even with 10+ tablets it will take forever for it to "set/finish." Doesn't matter what % of milk you use. Whole, 2%, 1%.

Here is how I do it.
biogaia has already been posted

machine I use
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KZM4Y4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dextrose
https://www.amazon.com/Dextrose-Now...id=1546399139&sr=8-4&keywords=dextrose+powder

Fairlife lactose free milk, in whole, 1%, 2% whatever is in stock

I just use the jars from the machine to measure. So for the starter I do 2 jars (12 ounces) in a pyrex measuring cup, microwave for however long it takes to bring the temp of the milk to 180-190F. Then cover and let it sit till it cools down to under 110F. Remove the skin that formed on the top, crush two probiotic tablets into powder in a clean ziploc and then dump into the milk and add 2 teaspoons of dextrose, mix. Fill one jar and let it go in the machine. I fill the tub of the machine with warm water just so the temp that hits the jars in it is more uniform as another tip.

Sounds like a lot of sh*t but it's really almost no work to do any of this takes seconds. The cleaning the boiled milk on the side of the pyrex is the only thing that takes any time.

So basicly next day get a big pyrex glass bowl dump in 48 ounces of milk. Microwave 10 mins check, then I usually do for around 5 mins for then cover and let cool. Then remove the skin, mix 2 tablespoons(not teaspoons) of dextrose, and mix in the yogurt you made the day before.

You can save one jar and do one more batch the next week if you want. I wouldn't do this too much given who knows how well the integrity of the culture keeps up. I do it only once and I mix 1/4 teaspoon food grade glycerin in with it. Reuteri the bacteria in our culture when they use glycerin as a food source they create a strong antibacterial compound which will help keep batch pure from foreign bacteria. The reason you don't use it from the start is because the other strain in the tablet likes glycerin and might multiply faster and throw off the ratio more than we want which will compound once we make the second batch from it. So no reason to really bother using it the first one. Also I have the cover off center so it doesn't get too hot in the yogurt maker. For the strain we are making any higher than 47C it starts to have issues, so I like to try and keep the temp in the yogurt maker around 41-43C which adding water in the bottom giving the jars a water bath and keeping the lid ajar seems to keep the temp around there.

Hope this helps.

Why don’t you show us some pictures of your new temples instead of tons of blabla?

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
bluesuadeshoes,

why do you say the L. Reuteri takes 30 hours..? Most yogurt making recipes say 8, with this one bumped to 24.. why 30?

bluesuedeshoes

Established Member
Reaction score
bluesuadeshoes,

why do you say the L. Reuteri takes 30 hours..? Most yogurt making recipes say 8, with this one bumped to 24.. why 30?

Cant recall where I saw that - but it has held true. My first batch I did 8hrs, second one 12hrs and then I starting trying 32hrs after researching online. First two didnt really work out so well - not thick and didnt taste of much. The 30hrs+ batches, however, are reasonably thick and have a tanginess - which suggests it fermented adequately.

Absolute pain to have the instant pot running up my electric bills though!

igamblesowhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
A few q's for previous posters-
The original wheat belly Dr didn't seem to indicate lactose free anything was an issue. How do we know that lactose is not doable in the milk used? The Dr seems to indicate his patients are reporting good results with regular organic milk or half and half..?

If I'm not mistaken, the original idea of lactose free I first saw on Longecity's thread on this probiotic strain.

Here is my attempt to explain the lactose free idea.

Lactose is a sugar. It is something the probiotics will eat in order to ferment. However, there are two strains of probiotic in the tablets sold by BioGaia, i.e. the single solitary source of ATCC PTA 6475 strain of L. Reuteri. Both strains show great potential in studies to help the body deal with certain ailments, however, the strain we want to cultivate for "beauty" (hair, skin, nails, etc), is a low competitive strain that does not grow as quickly or as virulently as the other strain in the tablet (or most other bacteria in the gut for that matter).

The posters at Longecity (assuming I'm correct here), looked into the parent strains of ATCC PTA 6475 and the other strain (L. reuteri DSM 17938), to find out what types of sugars best fed them. Thus using this information to extrapolate and guess as to what sugars best fed the strains in the BioGaia probiotics.

The conclusion was that Lactose Sugar better fed the L. reuteri DSM 17938 strain than the ATCC PTA 6475 strain, and thus, would allow it to grow more rapidly, the opposite of what we want. Ultimately, last I looked, the community seemed to have decided that pure Glucose (Dextrose) was the best option to culture the yogurt in. While Dextrose is not the sugar that best grows ATCC PTA 6475, it is likely better at growing it than it is at growing L. reuteri DSM 17938, thus allowing the strain we want to grow more rapidly and take over the yogurt.

Hope that helps :)

Hey i wanna try this too where can i buy this ? :D

BioGaia Gastrus is the only product that contains this strain of probiotic.

I've just received Innéov Duology which has the Lactobacillus ST11 strain (first probiotic for Seb derm sufferers). I'm a little concerned that the zinc and other ingredients might mess up the fermentation process, but will try and make a yogurt with it. Will do it separately from the L reuteri as that one needs over 30hrs and I'm pretty sure this one wont need half as long.

I would not mix them simply for the fact that ATCC PTA 6475 is supposedly unable to compete with many other species and strains of probiotic. Trying to culture them together might mean that you would grow very little ATCC PTA 6475.

bluesuadeshoes,

Cant recall where I saw that - but it has held true. My first batch I did 8hrs, second one 12hrs and then I starting trying 32hrs after researching online. First two didnt really work out so well - not thick and didnt taste of much. The 30hrs+ batches, however, are reasonably thick and have a tanginess - which suggests it fermented adequately.

Absolute pain to have the instant pot running up my electric bills though!

1) I doubt that an Instant Pot holding a temperature of less than 110 degrees burns a ton of electricity, even over a 30 hour span.

2) I agree, the longer one cultures it, the thicker and tangier the yogurt gets. I have noticed over time in experimenting with the amount of sugar used in the mixture that if I culture the yogurt for less time, it has a sweeter taste. To me this clearly means that the longer one cultures the probiotic, the more of the sugar it eats, and subsequently, the more bacteria grow and are present for consumption in the yogurt.

bluesuedeshoes

Established Member
Reaction score
While Dextrose is not the sugar that best grows ATCC PTA 6475, it is likely better at growing it than it is at growing L. reuteri DSM 17938, thus allowing the strain we want to grow more rapidly and take over the yogurt.

This is really interesting. I've been using brown sugar on all my batches. Guess this means the L Reuteri has taken over. Does one need to start from scratch again and use dextrose, or can I just use it from now on?

igamblesowhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is really interesting. I've been using brown sugar on all my batches. Guess this means the L Reuteri has taken over. Does one need to start from scratch again and use dextrose, or can I just use it from now on?

Well, I would say start from scratch. I presume that by starting with Dextrose by default that you immediately start to skew the 100mm vs 100mm ratio of the two probiotics in BiaGaia into the favor of 6475. Upon making subsequent batches from this you continue that lean and ultimately achieve the highest percentage of 6475 per batch possible.

That is of course only theory. I don't know that anyone has actually paid to get such testing done. Hell, I might consider doing so myself if it were reasonably priced and I knew where to get said testing done. Alas, I do not.

WRT Glucose/Dextrose, I buy a 10lb tub of IIRC Now Brands pure dextrose online. I chose that brand because there were no fillers and other BS that I saw in other products. Also, buying 10lbs at a time, while a bit excessive given I now only use 1/2cup per 4qts of lactose free milk, is cost effective in the long-run. Oh, and because I give lots of the dextrose away to the other people who have taken after me to start making their own yogurt.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairloss, inflammation and insulin resistance is all linked.

In a review of seven studies in people with type 2 diabetes, those who took probiotics for at least two months had a 16-mg/dl decrease in fasting blood sugar and a 0.53% decrease in A1C compared to those on a placebo.

People who took probiotics containing more than one species of bacteria had an even greater decrease in fasting blood sugar of 35 mg/dl.

How it works: Animal studies suggest that probiotics may decrease blood sugar by reducing inflammation and preventing the destruction of pancreatic cells that make insulin. Several other mechanisms may be involved as well

igamblesowhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairloss, inflammation and insulin resistance is all linked.

I think it has been proven at this point that hair loss requires a multi-modal approach to arresting and/or reversing. Adding pro-biotics can almost certainly do no harm and it definitely has a positive overall health effect!

mercail

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also waiting on updates from your general progress. What I've read elsewhere points to this magic yoghurt being an amazing and under-discussed discovery

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Soon all this effort will no long be necessary. Biogaia (the company who makes this probiotic) is coming out with a new product called Osfortis which is gonna have 10 billion CFU of this probiotic instead of the 20 million that's in Gastrus. So unless you guys really like making yogurt then you can stop this madness. Personally im hesitant to try this because it gave the mice shinier, more oily hair, and my skin is already stupidly oily as is. I'll probably still give osfortis a shot when it comes out and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

mercail

My Regimen
Reaction score
Soon all this effort will no long be necessary. Biogaia (the company who makes this probiotic) is coming out with a new product called Osfortis which is gonna have 10 billion CFU of this probiotic instead of the 20 million that's in Gastrus. So unless you guys really like making yogurt then you can stop this madness. Personally im hesitant to try this because it gave the mice shinier, more oily hair, and my skin is already stupidly oily as is. I'll probably still give osfortis a shot when it comes out and I'll let you guys know how it goes.
That's pretty cool, but from what I gather while making the yoghurt is quite costly at first (since you get bitchslapped with shipping costs outside of the US) the whole ordeal gets a bit better once you get to reuse your batches and only renew them every few times, making the cost more bearable, whereas those ready for consumption tablets might be just an unreasonable purchase for many despite how beneficial they might be.

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with Probiotics myself. I cook my own Kefir along with Probiotics. I tried different strains, brands. I also tried different prebiotics like Apple Pectin, Potato starch, Banana starch, Inulin and FOS etc..

I can definitely see a DIFFERENCE in my skin with any L Reuteri strain is added. I tried different ones..
https://bmcmicrobiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12866-016-0686-7

Gut Microbiome is the new thing in aging as well:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213453018300351
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5846638/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6004897/

Your Gut Microbiome Could Actually Reveal Your Age, Study Shows
https://www.sciencealert.com/gut-bacteria-might-actually-reveal-how-old-you-are

Last edited:

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Renegade000

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any specific biochemical reason as to why this strain would be better for hair loss compared to other strains? I just wonder if many commonly consumed strains would regrow hair in mice, and this is may not be unique in that sense? Have other studies with alternative strains been done, also showing regrowth?

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Does anyone know if 10 billion CFU is a good dose (one serving), or should we take more?
A lot of people reported effects on their skin and hair from Gastrus, which only has 100 million CFU. 1 tablet of Osfortis is 5 billion CFU, so I think there should be plenty of effect from this dosage. Even if you wanna go to a higher dose eventually, it would be a good idea to start at 1 tablet so your body can get used to it.