Association of Fibrosis in Bulge Portion with Hair Follicle Miniaturization in Androgenetic Alopecia

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Forthcoming in a top 5 journal (not very common for male pattern baldness studies). Unfortunately no abstract, but I pulled a figure from the paper ;)
The paper is simple: They find evidence of fibrosis in the bulge of the follicle itself. They say that drugs that can act on fibrosis can hold promise for baldness.

Attachments

• fibrosis.png
    fibrosis.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 207

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing all this research! I really appreciate it.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to this study until Tsuji stole their thunder

inmyhead

Reaction score
Wonder what is it, because you could also assume that fibrosis is result of having less follicles and is not causing balding itself. Looking forward.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wonder what is it, because you could also assume that fibrosis is result of having less follicles and is not causing balding itself. Looking forward.
Right, but when fibrosis sets in it prevents the reversal of hair loss. I hope there some hint in there about reversing fibrosis.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think calcipotriol has some evidence of reducing fibrosis. Apply that with microneedling to get as close to the bulge regions and you could get a local reversal of the fibrosis

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Spironolactone, eplerenone, and minoxidil too. Reversal is limited though.

MrOscar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think calcipotriol has some evidence of reducing fibrosis. Apply that with microneedling to get as close to the bulge regions and you could get a local reversal of the fibrosis
Any experience here on topical calcipotriol?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you guys miss my post on fibrosis drugs? Since it seems that's where the conversation turned too, the article I shared has dozens of drugs.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any experience here on topical calcipotriol?
I use calcipotriol every night for scalp psoriasis, it works extremely well for my condition but doesn't seem to do much with hair loss. But who knows, maybe it's beneficial.

There are other things helping with fibrosis: taurine, l carnitine l tartrate, melatonin, caffeine and probably PGD2 inhibitors (Setipiprant, TM30089, OC000459)

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use calcipotriol every night for scalp psoriasis, it works extremely well for my condition but doesn't seem to do much with hair loss. But who knows, maybe it's beneficial.

There are other things helping with fibrosis: taurine, l carnitine l tartrate, melatonin, caffeine and probably PGD2 inhibitors (Setipiprant, TM30089, OC000459)
Have u noticed it stopped hairloss at least?