Are people warming up to the idea of Oral Minoxidil as a treatment?

bassie21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the response. Sorry I'm a bit confused about how it's to be diluted however? Add 20ml water to 1ml kirkland liquid?
almost! one should take 1 ml of a 5% minoxidil topical solution and add 19 ml of pure ethanol to get a 2.5 mg minoxidil/ml solution. Do not use water because minoxidil dissolves only poorly in water. I prefer pure ethanol but it's expensive, wodka will do if you don't have ethanol.

If you're using common 60 ml bottles take 3 ml 5% topical and add 57 ml ethanol or wodka. Be sure to use graduated 1 ml droppers like these to accurately measure topical volume and a graduated measuring cylinder like this one to accurately measure the amount of ethanol or wodka which should be added. This method is much more accurate than trying to measure like 0.1 ml which is impossible to do without professional equipment. And you need to be accurate because you don't want to accidentally overdose minoxidil.

Ingest 1 ml per day of the diluted solution to get 2.5 mg minoxidil/day. Adjust accordingly if you want to take 5 mg per day. Please note: anyone unsure about the math involved and actually diluting stuff, do not try this at home. Just stick to putting minoxidil on your head ;-)

Last edited:
Reaction score
you can do both, because Loniten as well as Kirkland (or any other brand) contain the same active ingredient Minoxidil. 5% Kirkland solution should be diluted 20x to get 2,5 mg minoxidil from 1 ml solution btw! use a graduated 1 ml dropper like this to get the correct daily volume after diluting.

There's no need to dilute 5% minoxidil.. Take the damn dropper, fill it with 1ml of 5% minoxidil and then slowly empty it and count the number of droplets 1ml contains. In my case it's around 40 droplets (it depends on the dropper). So 2 droplets is equal to around 2.5mg. Put 2 droplets under your tongue, wait 5 mins, wash it down with large glass of water. Done. Never had any issues doing it like that and you also don't have to fill your mouth with large amounts of disgusting ethanol and PG.

bassie21

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no need to dilute 5% minoxidil.. Take the damn dropper, fill it with 1ml of 5% minoxidil and then slowly empty it and count the number of droplets 1ml contains. In my case it's around 40 droplets (it depends on the dropper). So 2 droplets is equal to around 2.5mg. Put 2 droplets under your tongue, wait 5 mins, wash it down with large glass of water. Done. Never had any issues doing it like that and you also don't have to fill your mouth with large amounts of disgusting ethanol and PG.
this method is highly inaccurate regarding the amount of minoxidil you're getting and I would advise against it.

bassie21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Explain why.

in your case: 40 droplets = 1 ml. quick google search: 20 droplets is 1 ml (screenshot below). too may variables (atmospheric pressure, temperature, viscosity, % ethanol, % water, dropper opening size, etc etc) all influence droplet size. and even if you personally got 40 droplets from 1 ml today, it might be 30 next week bc of these changing variables. meaning: droplet size changes over time. if I were you I would only use your method after calibrating 3 x every time before I'd get a dose.

you're playing with potentially dangerous medicine here so [1] get a prescription, [2] dilute minoxidil topical as I described or [3] stick with putting it on your head.

gPEwNFDaCg.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
in your case: 40 droplets = 1 ml. quick google search: 20 droplets is 1 ml (screenshot below). too may variables (atmospheric pressure, temperature, viscosity, % ethanol, % water, dropper opening size, etc etc) all influence droplet size. and even if you personally got 40 droplets from 1 ml today, it might be 30 next week bc of these changing variables. meaning: droplet size changes over time. if I were you I would only use your method after calibrating 3 x every time before I'd get a dose.

you're playing with potentially dangerous medicine here so [1] get a prescription, [2] dilute minoxidil topical as I described or [3] stick with putting it on your head.

View attachment 166873

Well yes, it obviously depends on the dropper. Different droppers have different droplet sizes and therefor different amount of droplets in 1ml.
And not just that, it also depends on liquid viscosity. You have to calibrate it with the exact liquid you plan on using and not water for example.

Get a good quality precise dropper (not the plastic crap included) and regularly check the number of droplets in 1ml is consistent. I would also wash it after every use so that there's no 'sediment' buildup inside when it dries.

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
I finally had my appointment to visit a dermatologist today and he was unwilling to prescribe me oral minoxidil and instead advised I use either finasteride, dutasteride, PRP, and lastly a hair transplant if I ever wanted to go that route.

He did however say he would reach out to my primary doctor/GP to discuss the possibility of my GP prescribing oral minoxidil. So I decided to message my GP with several of the abstracts from studies just now. Hopefully he will see both the message from the dermatologist and my message. And help me get a prescription.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I finally had my appointment to visit a dermatologist today and he was unwilling to prescribe me oral minoxidil and instead advised I use either finasteride, dutasteride, PRP, and lastly a hair transplant if I ever wanted to go that route.

He did however say he would reach out to my primary doctor/GP to discuss the possibility of my GP prescribing oral minoxidil. So I decided to message my GP with several of the abstracts from studies just now. Hopefully he will see both the message from the dermatologist and my message. And help me get a prescription.

Did he say why he wouldn't prescribe it?

Weird that he wouldn't prescribe it himself but yet is happy for you to take it via the GP. Sounds like he is only caring about his own responsibility.

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did he say why he wouldn't prescribe it?

Weird that he wouldn't prescribe it himself but yet is happy for you to take it via the GP. Sounds like he is only caring about his own responsibility.

While he was friendly that is also how it came across to me.

He even made a comment about how he could be asked "Doctor, why did you prescribe this patient oral minoxidil/hypertension drug even though you're a dermatologist?"

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
The dermatologist and my primary doctor discussed the matter and I'll be starting 2.5mg Oral Minoxidil this week.

I figured it should either be 1.25mg or 2.5mg but I'll get a 4 months supply and hopefully it will work out for me.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to go to a hair transplant doctor, not a dermatologist. I would do some research and find which ones in your area prescribe. Or just buy it online.

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update:

Too early to see any growth I'd imagine but I have noticed a bit more dandruff and a bit of itchiness at about 3 weeks in. No edema or swelling, no dizziness or headaches or fatigue, and no heart issues.

I believe the itchiness and dandruff could be similar to the shedding process many experience because the scalp is going through a new growth stage.

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
this is the go to treatment in spain ( dr segio vano etc). I tried it for 3 month but get huge hypertrichosis... That sucks because it was powerful as hell for diffuse

Did you try a smaller dose? I'm also scared of hypertrichosis.

Intrigued77777777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you take the minoxidil tablets , or drink the topical solution?

I just want to know if I drink the topical kirkland I have , how my body will react to it ...

I'm pretty certain you don't drink the Kirkland solution! It contains delivery ingredients for skin absorption etc.