Are people warming up to the idea of Oral Minoxidil as a treatment?

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started using topical foam Minoxidil (Rogaine first, then Kirkland) about 2 to 2.5 years ago.

I think it has helped slow down the male pattern baldness but now that I'm researching treatments again it looks like far more people are trying oral minoxidil compared to 2 or 3 years ago.

I'm guessing I should talk to a dermatologist first and try and get a prescription for like 1 to 2.5 mg

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermatologists seem to be prescribing it more and more often it seems, i would definitely opt for 5mg over 2.5mg though, much better results in studies and well tolerated by most.

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermatologists seem to be prescribing it more and more often it seems, i would definitely opt for 5mg over 2.5mg though, much better results in studies and well tolerated by most.
I've read some opinions that oral minoxidil is not enough on its own or that it will work for a time and then stop working.

But what I can't find is whether that is anecdotal evidence or "bro-science" reasoning or statistical study evidence.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been on it 1 year at 5mg. recently upped to 10mg as i wanted to see what i could achieve. I get mine from a dermatologist which i would always reccomend anyone does.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read some opinions that oral minoxidil is not enough on its own or that it will work for a time and then stop working.

But what I can't find is whether that is anecdotal evidence or "bro-science" reasoning or statistical study evidence.

It’s science.
Minoxidil in any form is not a form of dht inhibition. You need to be on a dht inhibitor as well if you want long term success.

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s science.
Minoxidil in any form is not a form of dht inhibition. You need to be on a dht inhibitor as well if you want long term success.

Is it not possible that there are SOME people that minoxidil alone will work for both short term and long term? In which case oral minoxidil would work even better than topical?

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Not true. Minoxidil works on its own even without a DHT inhibitor such as Finasteride. At an enough high dosage I would suspect the effects of Minoxidil being so powerful that DHT in the equation doesn't even matter anymore.

You can suspect all you want, but don’t make a speculative statement as if it were a fact. You can cause far more harm than any good to the naive laymen reading forums.

It’s absolutely impossible for minoxidil to work on it’s own in preventing and/or slowing down the progression of male pattern baldness. It’s not a dht inhibitor nor is it an anti androgen. You are obviously clueless as to how male pattern baldness works and what causes it, nor am I in the mood to give lessons. Do a quick search, you’ll be better equipped in treating your own hair loss.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it not possible that there are SOME people that minoxidil alone will work for both short term and long term? In which case oral minoxidil would work even better than topical?

You’re asking two completely different questions.

1) It’s very possible that it works for some in the long term, there is always going to be that outlier. However, it’s highly likely that those who think minoxidil is holding grounds for them in ther long term, are those who had a slow progression of male pattern baldness. So even without the minoxidil they would have had very slow thinning over the course of many years. Therefore, with the addition of minoxidil, they’ve been able to achieve some regrowth and thickening, albeit destined to fall victim to dht eventually. Minoxidil has zero dht inhibition properties.

2) Oral minoxidil works better than topical minoxidil according to the studies, and it’s pretty obvious from the shitload of anecdotal evidence as well. The only drawback of oral minoxidil is it’s side effects of the more common edema, and the less common dark circles around the eyes. There are many who fear and spread falsely low blood pressure side effects. But that’s not true. Minoxidil only* lowers blood pressure in those who have high blood pressure. It may very well slightly lower blood pressure in those with regular blood pressure but never to the point where it’s dangerous. Their blood pressure will largely remain within the normal range.

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re asking two completely different questions.

1) It’s very possible that it works for some in the long term, there is always going to be that outlier. However, it’s highly likely that those who think minoxidil is holding grounds for them in ther long term, are those who had a slow progression of male pattern baldness. So even without the minoxidil they would have had very slow thinning over the course of many years. Therefore, with the addition of minoxidil, they’ve been able to achieve some regrowth and thickening, albeit destined to fall victim to dht eventually. Minoxidil has zero dht inhibition properties.

2) Oral minoxidil works better than topical minoxidil according to the studies, and it’s pretty obvious from the shitload of anecdotal evidence as well. The only drawback of oral minoxidil is it’s side effects of the more common edema, and the less common dark circles around the eyes. There are many who fear and spread falsely low blood pressure side effects. But that’s not true. Minoxidil only* lowers blood pressure in those who have high blood pressure. It may very well slightly lower blood pressure in those with regular blood pressure but never to the point where it’s dangerous. Their blood pressure will largely remain within the normal range.

Thank you for replying.

I'm not opposed to getting on finasteride or dutasteride in the future but I do plan on starting Oral minoxidil as I want to use it not only for some regrowth on my head but I am hoping it will help me fill in my beard. Once my beard has filled in and hopefully turned terminal I would probably look into starting a low dosage of finasteride.

My beard is almost completely filled in, just need to fill in the under bottom lip/upper chin area and would like some overall thickness as well to it.

As for my hair, I do believe I have very slow thinning and if I were to post pictures I imagine a lot of people would tell me my hair looks fine lol.

I think I may be a non responder to Topical Minoxidil because in addition to scalp use, I've been using it to fill in my beard with effectively no results for about 2 years with any growth probably happening because I got older. (From From 24 or 25 to now 26 and soon to be 27).

And if its true that Im a non responder I could hope to see some major growth if I start taking Oral minoxidil. Both on my beard and on my head.

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive read pretty great things, the main downside are side effects. Currently waiting on a hopeful scrip. Oral minoxidil for HBP is how the drug was discovered to be useful for hair loss in the first place.

bassie21

My Regimen
Reaction score
definitely. using it myself and seeing results and there's a growing body of evidence it just works.
BIWpu1WYnO.png

NamelessGhoul

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TBH, only ever considered oral minoxidil if you aren't naturally hairy all over, and are fine with the idea of potentially gaining a bit more body hair.

I could NEVER take oral minoxidil as I'm the hairiest bastard there is. it's socially acceptable, but I'd imagine if I took oral minoxidil, it would cross the line into werewolf territory

Young&thinning

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There’s definitely been a surge in people using Oral Minoxidil within the hair loss community within the past year or two.

After 7+ years of Topical Minoxidil I have thrown Oral Minoxidil into my daily hair loss regimen.

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
TBH, only ever considered oral minoxidil if you aren't naturally hairy all over, and are fine with the idea of potentially gaining a bit more body hair.

I could NEVER take oral minoxidil as I'm the hairiest bastard there is. it's socially acceptable, but I'd imagine if I took oral minoxidil, it would cross the line into werewolf territory

I'm meeting with a doctor in month for the first time just to check regarding my hair and 1000000% confirm that it is indeed male pattern baldness and I plan to ask them to get me on Oral Minoxidil and see their opinion on it.

I have a good deal of body hair but I like it and so does the girlfriend so if Oral Minoxidil puts me into werewolf territory thats fine by me lol.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
There’s definitely been a surge in people using Oral Minoxidil within the hair loss community within the past year or two.

After 7+ years of Topical Minoxidil I have thrown Oral Minoxidil into my daily hair loss regimen.

Do you take the minoxidil tablets , or drink the topical solution?

I just want to know if I drink the topical kirkland I have , how my body will react to it ...

bassie21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you take the minoxidil tablets , or drink the topical solution?

I just want to know if I drink the topical kirkland I have , how my body will react to it ...
you can do both, because Loniten as well as Kirkland (or any other brand) contain the same active ingredient Minoxidil. 5% Kirkland solution should be diluted 20x to get 2,5 mg minoxidil from 1 ml solution btw! use a graduated 1 ml dropper like this to get the correct daily volume after diluting.

Last edited:

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
you can do both, because Loniten as well as Kirkland (or any other brand) contain the same active ingredient Minoxidil. 5% Kirkland solution should be diluted 20x to get 2,5 mg minoxidil from 1 ml solution btw! use a graduated 1 ml dropper like this to get the correct daily volume after diluting.

Hey thanks for the response. Sorry I'm a bit confused about how it's to be diluted however? Add 20ml water to 1ml kirkland liquid?