Aplunk1's Story - (Pictures)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I know, but when I part my hair under the light, the "island" formation is happening. And yes, there is a clear Norwood 3 outline.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Plunk, I agree with hawaii.

1 your hair is fine
2 You are doing EVERYTHING you possibly can right now, and worrying won't get you anywhere. So sit back, pop your freaking dutasteride, enjoy life and worry less.

I know you hear this all the time, and that you still get depressed, but seriously... Your hair isn't bad, and you ARE already doing whatever you can. And you dont have sides, so be happy about doing the best you can and stop focusing on it.
You should try how it feels not to be able to fight your male pattern baldness. Man I tell you that's frustrating!

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
hey PHUNK if your still experiencing an itch, try what I did... give Nizoral the flick for 10 days or so and see how you go. I'm sure giving it up for 10 days won't effect your results in a negative way at all as I'm sure you'd agree...

I was surpirised to find my itch reduced substationally... maybe you'll find it helps also

ALL THE BEST WITH YOU MATE YOU SEEM LIKE A TOP BLOKE I HOPE YOU REALISE FROM THE PHOTOS YOUR HAIR LOOKS GREAT.

!!!!!!

Cheers.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

These pictures don't do my hair justice.

I'm not actually thinning on the right side of my hairline... it's actual BALDING.

It looks just like my forehead if I lift the hair up.

I don't know if it's dutasteride-related, or what, but I'm very discouraged. I have had great regrowth along the temples and hairline for months 1-5, but am now losing all my regrowth. The right side of my hairline is at one of it's lowest points. I've never seen it so thin...

I have stopped using spironolactone 5% cream on the hairline, but am reconsidering using it again. Anything to stop this.

What advice do you guys have for me?

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey aplunk,
you know me, and you know that i feel your pain and your emotional anxiety. I know the grass is always greener, but i look at people in the street who have so-so hair lines and then look at their vertex's which are completely solid.

if you think recession is bad, you have no clue how much of a killer emotionally having a thinning vertex is. Think of it this way...your vertex is solid. Much better than mine. Theres nothing really spelling it out for you that its going to change in the future, just your own fears exaggerating the process. PLENTY, ALMOST ALL, men recede but most of them have a nice full vertex. Its the losers like me who youre going to see with a FCKING bald spot on their head.

You could even get an awesome transplant in a few years if you so desire. What the FCK am i going to do? They cant reshape the whirl of a natural vertex, everyone knows that. i hate it so much man..please try to look on the bright side of your situation .from what i see your vertex is alright and that is SO important even more so than recession, we both know it.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words.

You're right.

I posted my results on the HLH forum and was hounded by the other posters there. They're right. I DO post too much.

Sure, I'm shedding tons of hair on my hairline right now, and there's not much to do about it.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

My next update will be in 3 months.

Until then, I'll refrain from posting updates about myself or my current hair situation.

Wish me luck on getting through this unexpected shed, guys.

Later

EDIT:
6-Month pics are up. They have better quality photos than before (I finally got this webcam thing down.)

Aplunk1_69.jpg

Aplunk1_70.jpg

dark_one

Established Member
Reaction score
JayB said:
hey aplunk,
you know me, and you know that i feel your pain and your emotional anxiety. I know the grass is always greener, but i look at people in the street who have so-so hair lines and then look at their vertex's which are completely solid.

if you think recession is bad, you have no clue how much of a killer emotionally having a thinning vertex is. Think of it this way...your vertex is solid. Much better than mine. Theres nothing really spelling it out for you that its going to change in the future, just your own fears exaggerating the process. PLENTY, ALMOST ALL, men recede but most of them have a nice full vertex. Its the losers like me who youre going to see with a FCKING bald spot on their head.

You could even get an awesome transplant in a few years if you so desire. What the FCK am i going to do? They cant reshape the whirl of a natural vertex, everyone knows that. i hate it so much man..please try to look on the bright side of your situation .from what i see your vertex is alright and that is SO important even more so than recession, we both know it.

You are not a loser because you have vertex thinning or thinning anywhere - there is nothing you can do about this genetic "gift" from your parent(s). Try having thinning hair right in the front middle of your hairline.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Shedding consistently increasing...

About 50/60 hairs daily.

Thinning on the vertex.

Thinning and recession on the hairline and temples.

The hairs being shed are thin and colorless.

Inflammation is at its worst. Currently using Scalpicin to help combat scalp inflammation.

Cosmetically, the scalp is rather noticeable on the vertex, and the temples are showing a Norwood 2/3 outline when styled.

I'm really hoping that the inflammation will go down and that the shedding will cease.

I'm going to take my MSM capsules and try to ride this thing out.

I've been shedding for several weeks now.

Felk

Reaction score
Hey Aplunk, ride it out indeed.

I don't think there's anything to ride out anyway, as 50/60 hairs a day is nothing! 50-100 is considered normal, some people say 75-150, and some people like Dr Proctor say that hairloss treatment won't stop your rate of hair loss.

I remember a recent poster saying he shed 75-150 constantly throughout his treatment, all the while improving on finasteride.

Don't stress :)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Thanks,

there is definite improvement up top... the hairline and temples are having a hard time now... but I'm hoping for the best.

EDIT: Continued shedding...

Temples shedding is causing recession on the left temple... I'm praying that it will come back.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add that shedding has increased four-fold ...

I ran a comb through my BUZZCUT and I got between 200-300 hairs... (Yes, I counted)

It's looking really thin up top.

No matter how hard I tried, I wouldn't get hair from the sides and back of my hair...

just the horshoe area.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a pretty bad shed. I assume you didn't but by chance did you do this after having just buzzed your hair. I noticed on your post you said buzzcut so maybe you had recently cut it and lots of hairs still hadn't left your head. Could that be a possibility? 200-300 is a pretty bad shed...

eddy2oo6

Reaction score
Hey Aplunk1, I had terrible shedding since the first day I started dutasteride (switching from finasteride).
In the past I had terrible shedding and dermatitis due to topical spironolactone and I also read that used alone it can cause accumulation of DHT on the scalp due to blocking of its metabolism.

By the way, my shedding is slowing down since I started applying a mix of minoxidil sulfate 5%, ciproterone acetate, 17-alpha-estradiol, Triamcinolone acetamide.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
EasyEd,

No, I had buzzed my hair over a week ago.

These hairs are coming out with bulbs on the end, so they are obviously being shed.

The hair is looking pretty unhealthy and thin up top. A Norwood 3/4 pattern is obvious when looking from the front... When looking from the back, the vertex is obviously thinning... pretty bad, too.

I'm hoping for the best.

Eddy2006,
I've been on dutasteride for almost 8 months, 1 capsule everyday, and minoxidil for about 10 months, twice daily. Before that, I was on Propecia for 10 months.

The only thing I've really changed in the last few months is that I've stopped putting on spironolactone 2% all over my head, which I feel DID help. I have been using spironolactone 5% all over the temples and hairline, and it's definitely working.

What is minoxidil SULFATE? ACETATE? ESTRADIOL? ACETAMIDE?

How did you figure this out? Do you really think it works?

docj077

Reaction score
I'm not the most informed person when it comes to hairloss, but it seems to me that your Dutasteride could be one of the sources of your problems. dutasteride. is a type 1 and type 2 alpha reductase inhibitor. So, you're going to end up blocking sebum production from the sebaceous glands on your scalp and face. Good for acne, but bad for hair as it will make your hair dry, brittle, and relatively unmanageable. You'll get a lot of dry scalp, flaking, and more itching than you can deal with. You probably need to go out and find a good conditioner that will work to moisturize your scalp, as well.

As for everything else, you really need to calm down. Having a breakdown over this is only going to hurt you as you're going to pull blood away from your scalp during that sympathetic response. Pulling out your hair is not healthy, either. Just calm down, re-evaluate the situation, and work the problem. If your hair is just straight up falling out and not miniaturizing first, then something else is going on.

Seriously, give your body a chance to catch up to how you're feeling. If it gets worse, it gets worse. But, at least you didn't go quietly on this thing.

Now, stop looking into the mirror, taking pictures, and doing research, so your body and your hair can rest for a while.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
EasyEd,

No, I had buzzed my hair over a week ago.

These hairs are coming out with bulbs on the end, so they are obviously being shed.

The hair is looking pretty unhealthy and thin up top. A Norwood 3/4 pattern is obvious when looking from the front... When looking from the back, the vertex is obviously thinning... pretty bad, too.

I'm hoping for the best.

Yeah, that's really the only thing we can do. Best of luck.

Also, you're headed to NY right? When's the big move? You there yet?

eddy2oo6

Reaction score
Aplunk1,
one strange thing is that my shedding put in evidence a Norwood 3/4 pattern too but at the same time the rest of the scalp is getting better and also the pattern seems recovering now (the shedding also slowed down a lot).
I visited a good dermathologist some weeks ago and he said that it's a seasonal shedding and that the exceptional amount of hairs falling out is due to the rapid change from winter to summer. We had no spring here...
I think that he's right because I had the same exceptional shedding in the summer of 2004, probably for the same reason and it stopped by the mid of august.
I noticed that hairs falling are not miniaturized ones and that confirms the theory.
You should also take into account that by starting minoxidil and dutasteride you had somewhat synchronized the hair life cycle and the effect is obvoius. It'll take time to "desynchronize".

Aplunk1

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
When's the big move?

Tomorrow, thanks man.

Everything is put together, and I'm going to start moving everything tomorrow. I'm making 2 trips to finish moving.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Give it some time as well, doode. I sometimes look in the mirror and go "what the f*** am I on this sh*t for - it hasn't really done anything". A lot of this sh*t is in the mind. I am on the same kind of sh*t as you and it is definitely working.

powersam

Reaction score
next time you count hairs aplunk i want a far more accurate number than 200 - 300. your just being lazy.