Anyone taking 10mg or more daily of oral minoxidil?

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
5 will get you results, it's much better than topical, and you might experience a little regrowth, but 10mg will give you a chance at serious regrowth. The wolfman has consistently been taking 10mg.
Do you recommend starting low and reaching 10mg, or can you start off on 10mg right off the bat

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are asking about the curve efficiency of increasing dosages and I don't think that they max out. I have completely restored the crown but I am on a lot of different meds plus derma-rolling which is a long-winded way of saying I don't know the answers but for me, yes, probably the increased hair growth primarily with my beard area let me know that something was happening. Leg hair got harder to shave and I don't have much but I just yank that out. That's why, particularly for a guy, increased beard growth is probably not seen as a side but for me, it's my main one. Safety-wise 10mg daily is probably as high as people want to go.

But I posted a lot of pics from the last three years because a lot of people said that they wanted to see how bad it could get and still be restored for MtF's on HRT. I guess I am saying some things are probably responsible for my amazing crown recovery because all of my HRT meds are geared around hair and they all are effective to some degree. I think HRT plus oral min is a whole different kind of treatment. Even my temples are growing back:

Are you talkign about TRT?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you recommend starting low and reaching 10mg, or can you start off on 10mg right off the bat
It depends. If you're trying to avoid a heavy shed then you might want to gradually titrate upwards. But if you're fighting against the clock then you could just jump in at a high dose, though you likely will experience a heavier shed.
ok and in terms of unwanted body hair, dosage under 2.5 mg are quite safe?
Probably

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am thinking that 12.5mg or 25ml once daily is plenty. I am having significant edema and I did end up drinking the last bit of a bottle that I thought was empty. Oh well. Couldn't waste it. I have not noticed much hypertrichosis except for increased beard growth and leg hair growth so that's probably not a negative for most of the XY's.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do think that most of the listed sides start at 10 percent so maybe that's why most stop there. I have used basically two bottles of topical the last seven months so this is not expensive. A little of the liquid might be lost as well when drizzling minoxidil so maybe 25ml once daily is a better place to land as approximating 10mg. I have not noticed blood pressure effects or other sides but yes, significant edema and slightly altered beard growth.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
I do think that most of the listed sides start at 10 percent so maybe that's why most stop there. I have used basically two bottles of topical the last seven months so this is not expensive. A little of the liquid might be lost as well when drizzling minoxidil so maybe 25ml once daily is a better place to land as approximating 10mg. I have not noticed blood pressure effects or other sides but yes, significant edema and slightly altered beard growth.

25mL of Minoxidil DAILY?

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score
leads me to two more questions:
1. why drink liquid instead of taking pills?
2. why do people use liquid minoxidil and oral (at the same time)?

Last edited:

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
leads me to two more questions:
1. why drink liquid instead of taking pills?
2. why do people oral minoxidil and oral?

Can't speak for anyone else, but liquid form Minoxidil doesn't require prescription, it's easy to tweak your dose on liquid, and it's super cheap.

People who use oral minoxidil seem to have significantly better results than those that apply it topically

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah i just dropped liquid for oral about two month ago... but somehow recently i often hear people use both... like the 2ml on the scalp and one (or more) tablets every day...
i always thought that doesnt make sense, because the components should be the same...
i mean i got a bottle left and could try (acutally that was supposed to be spare in case oral doesnt work and i start loosing the minoxidil gains again (which shouldnt happen)...

im glad if oral works, not only if it works better, but just because it is like a third of the price i would pay for liquid, probably less...

had a typo in it anyway^^ fixed it!

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah i just dropped liquid for oral about two month ago... but somehow recently i often hear people use both... like the 2ml on the scalp and one (or more) tablets every day...
i always thought that doesnt make sense, because the components should be the same...
i mean i got a bottle left and could try (acutally that was supposed to be spare in case oral doesnt work and i start loosing the minoxidil gains again (which shouldnt happen)...

im glad if oral works, not only if it works better, but just because it is like a third of the price i would pay for liquid, probably less...

had a typo in it anyway^^ fixed it!
Some meds behave differently based upon how they are ingested. Some times, it doesn't matter and both forms work. I have mostly stopped using topical except for drizzling daily but I do use it after derma-rolling.

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some meds behave differently based upon how they are ingested. Some times, it doesn't matter and both forms work. I have mostly stopped using topical except for drizzling daily but I do use it after derma-rolling.
i still didnt decide... sometimes i think i keep doing oral until that package is over (100days) and then decide... then i think topical once a day (in addition) could also be okay... on the other hand 2ml didnt do much for me, at least not after i switched from kirkland (though its also possible that by that time, regrowth was already over)...

swaggyhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started off taking 5mg then upped it to 10 mg now I take 20 mg. 10 in the morning 10 at night, I might give it one more go but i'm not sure how I feel about it. I feel like I see results and hair growing in certain areas then it does away after. I take topical minoxidil and finasteride as well. I've been consistent on Loniten for about 3 months now so not sure if I need to give it more time.

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started off taking 5mg then upped it to 10 mg now I take 20 mg. 10 in the morning 10 at night, I might give it one more go but i'm not sure how I feel about it. I feel like I see results and hair growing in certain areas then it does away after. I take topical minoxidil and finasteride as well. I've been consistent on Loniten for about 3 months now so not sure if I need to give it more time.
timewise somehow everyone says that after 6 month you should clearly see results, from month 1-3 it might get worse due to shedding (everybody says something else about that)...
so yeah, too early too say anything probably (same here, im on it for like 2 month now, 2.5g for a month, after that 5g)...

you think topical does something when taken together with oral? or do you just do it because you can?
really considering using topical again, too... once a day only, though...

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral could conceivably make topical work better by increasing overall sulfurotransferase in the scalp but it might not work exactly like that. I think that oral minoxidil is said to create its own sulfurotranferase. I still use topical min as topical min less and less. Oral seems to test better than topical and it seems to have an enthusiastic fan base.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you're using topical alongside oral? 20 mg is a huge dose man have you noticed an increse in wrinkles or skin aging? thanks and good luck on your ourney

swaggyhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
timewise somehow everyone says that after 6 month you should clearly see results, from month 1-3 it might get worse due to shedding (everybody says something else about that)...
so yeah, too early too say anything probably (same here, im on it for like 2 month now, 2.5g for a month, after that 5g)...

you think topical does something when taken together with oral? or do you just do it because you can?
really considering using topical again, too... once a day only, though...
I do it because I can. I'm on a crazy regimen right now and it its looking really positive after 3 wks

- Topical Minoxidil Twice a day
-Oral Minoxidil 10mg AM 10mg PM
-Nizoral every 4 days
-Deity Plant Shampoo morning and night
-Lulus holistics hemp and castor shampoo morning and night
-20000mg of biotin pills with coconut oil once a day
-100% Pure Peppermint and Pumpkinseed oil
-Finasteride but I've been out of supply for a week haven't had a chance to get a script.
-Topical Melatonin every night before bed

I'm hoping doing all this at once for at least 6 months will result in something

swaggyhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
you're using topical alongside oral? 20 mg is a huge dose man have you noticed an increse in wrinkles or skin aging? thanks and good luck on your Journey
TBH not sure i don't think so im 36 no wrinkles. I also use alot of skin care products so that might be helping not to notice. However I do have puff bags under my eyes they're not bad but I'm not sure if it's because of the meds or because I only get 4-5hrs of sleep a night