Anyone Ever been called out for wearing?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
People are talking about how the people I know that wear have also got transplants. I guess it's a common lie and people really believe it. They even talk that Elton John has got transplant.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the early days Elton John did originally have transplants done but back in the 70s and 80,s hair transplantation wasn't perfected with the modern technology that we have now. He then started wearing and his systems have always looked pretty good. Not too dense like others that we have seen in film and TV.(think Burt Reynolds, Ricardo Montalban.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Damn, I should have some kind of transplant done as well, so I can say that I have and that would perhaps end the discussion. I say that I do use fibers though. Maybe that's enough for some.
Sometimes I think it may be easier, if someone else told my partner.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I suspect that hair systems are associated with "fakeness" in many people's minds, while hair-transplants are more likely to be associated with "vanity" but not fakeness. Perhaps "fakeness" is a more negative concept in many people's minds than vanity.
Just speculating.
Possibly, especially for men.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stand by the belief that.......If you don't like something, fix it!
The method should be irrelevant...

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I suspect that hair systems are associated with "fakeness" in many people's minds, while hair-transplants are more likely to be associated with "vanity" but not fakeness. Perhaps "fakeness" is a more negative concept in many people's minds than vanity.
Just speculating.
That's what angers people yes. They think you are lying.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I really wonder how widespread the stigma around hairpieces is around the world and also historically. Someone should do a study.
I have generally read less of one in the Third World than the developed world. They seem to be especially popular, all the rage and accepted in Arabic countries, and to a lesser extent India.

Noah

Reaction score
Turkey is apparently a big market for hair systems, and lots of Turkish men wear them. Also a big market for hair transplants. South America also a big market for systems and cosmetic enhancement generally.

Noah

Reaction score
Quite a big market in Japan and South Korea. The Japanese company Aderans is one of the biggest hair companies in the world, and the pioneer of synthetic hair fibre. South Korea is big on plastic surgery and cosmetic enhancements generally, for both men and women. You see them in India too, although not so much, perhaps because of the hotter climate. A lot of Indian film stars seem to wear a piece. Interestingly Chinese men don't seem to big users, despite having all the main producers on their doorstep.

Most of the men's hairpieces in East Asia seem to be clip-ons which are designed to be taken off for bed. Clip-ons give a pretty decent look if you have dead-straight hair, which many East Asian men have, but obviously they are very detectable to the touch. The fine glued-on systems that we wear don't seem to be as popular.

Noah

Reaction score
I don't sense the stigma issue is much different from the West. I am not properly attuned to any of these cultures, so I say that as an outsider, but I notice that when some celebrity is accused of wearing a hairpiece there is the same tone of schadenfreude that the same story would have in the West. There was one of those "Big Brother"-type reality TV shows recently where one of the male contestants was exposed as a system wearer, and that generated exactly the same catty gossipy commentary as it would have in the Daily Mail.

Smidgeon

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, if you are young then cosmetic surgery is a really minor issue, everyone gets bottox or lip fillers nowadays not like when i was young. God, even my Dentist offers fillers and bottox to clients lol.

So getting hair transplants is viewed less comedically than a hair system. We can rename it all we like but everyones mind goes straight to any of the 895 comedy films we have seen with a man who's toupee flies off in the wind. The only reference most of us have of a hair system is seeing it used for comedy in some old film, so it doesn't have a great rep. 'will it come off', is guaranteed to be the first question anyone has lol, because that's what we associate with them. Comedy.

Cosmetic surgery isn't comedy, it is, if anything, glamorous. Even though the reality of a hair transplant is probably anything but glamerous lol. No-one has an updated reference for a hair system because if done correctly no-one even knows they have seen one.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I must say there is something attractive or cool to it when someone wears, but sometimes shows themselves bald. I'm not sure that for me it even makes them look less attractive. That honesty might even make it look better. But I wouldn't be surprised, if I'm alone thinking like this. That's why I wasn't so worried about hiding it when I started. The guys selling the brand Quiff just made it look like already quite attractive guys despite their baldness became even better looking.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I must say there is something attractive or cool to it when someone wears, but sometimes shows themselves bald. I'm not sure that for me it even makes them look less attractive. That honesty might even make it look better. But I wouldn't be surprised, if I'm alone thinking like this. That's why I wasn't so worried about hiding it when I started. The guys selling the brand Quiff just made it look like already quite attractive guys despite their baldness became even better looking.
I just told another girl I’m seeing that my hair is fake. She said, “you have great hair.” So I replied, “thanks. I pay a lot for it.” She couldn’t believe it was a unit. I didn’t make a big deal out of it, and neither did she. I think it comes down to confidence. Though, yes, having a handsome face will help anyone sell it, in most cases.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just told another girl I’m seeing that my hair is fake. She said, “you have great hair.” So I replied, “thanks. I pay a lot for it.” She couldn’t believe it was a unit. I didn’t make a big deal out of it, and neither did she. I think it comes down to confidence. Though, yes, having a handsome face will help anyone sell it, in most cases.
The real test is if she sticks around (assuming you want her to :) )

Though it would bother me if a girl then went on to tell everyone else.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
But it's not fake hair, but real human hair!

Alsh

My Regimen
Reaction score
This isn't someone recognizing me but after a few weeks of wearing my system (must have been 8 months ago) I was still really sensitive to the concept.

I was standing at a traffic light and tuning out. I noticed someone's hair was slicked back, kinda puffy - exactly how my lordhair .03 poly would sit. It would drive me crazy because I couldn't get it looking right.

As I kept looking, I had a moment where I realized this stranger was wearing a system too.

I scanned it trying to see if I could detect a seem, and how good the blending was. Had I not been already into hair systems, I would not have noticed.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw one the other day that was hugely suspect. It was also the back - blend was terrible. He'd obviously refitted it himself and it was a bit wonky. Made me glad that I always use a double mirror to style the back as well as the front before I leave the house!

I'm not sure anyone on the street would have clocked it, but anyone spending more than 10 minutes one on one would suspect something.