Anyone Ever been called out for wearing?

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just as the title says....just wondering if any of u guys and long time OG guys have ever been called out.
How'd it happen and why do u think u were discovered?

How'd u deal with it and How'd u handle it internally and emotionally?

Thanks guys :)

Noah

Reaction score
Until very recently I would have said I had a clear run since I started wearing lace units. I am pretty meticulous with my attachments and have a conservative style. Also here in Japan the idea of confronting or embarrassing another person is culturally abhorrent, so I had probably become a bit smug and lackadaisical.

Anyway very recently I was at a hotel. I had just had a workout and a swim, and I was relaxing with my ginger tea in the solarium afterwards, and this young guy came up to me and asked me if I was wearing a system. I was totally taken aback and I just looked at him for 20 seconds in silence. Then I figured what the hell, there's no one else in earshot, I may as well find out what gave it away, so I fessed up, and we had a 5 minute chat about it. He was a Korean, working in the "male beauty" industry (his description) in Gangnam. He works with male hairpieces and male appearances generally, so I guess he has an eye for them. Disappointingly, he couldn't really tell what had caused him to suspect my piece. He said he wasn't sure, but he thought it "looked too perfect".

When I first started wearing, an incident like this would have knocked me for seven, but I have become somewhat more relaxed about it now. It was an isolated event, just him and me, so no harm done. You do your best to keep it natural looking and undetectable, but you've got to contemplate the possibility that one day something will go wrong or someone will have particularly sharp eyes, and the secret will be at least partially exposed. Obviously in this case it was mainly my choice. If I had said 'no, it's my natural hair' I'm sure that would have been the end of the conversation. In case there is a next time, I will have my response better rehearsed, so I am not left gaping like an idiot goldfish.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Until very recently I would have said I had a clear run since I started wearing lace units. I am pretty meticulous with my attachments and have a conservative style. Also here in Japan the idea of confronting or embarrassing another person is culturally abhorrent, so I had probably become a bit smug and lackadaisical.

Anyway very recently I was at a hotel. I had just had a workout and a swim, and I was relaxing with my ginger tea in the solarium afterwards, and this young guy came up to me and asked me if I was wearing a system. I was totally taken aback and I just looked at him for 20 seconds in silence. Then I figured what the hell, there's no one else in earshot, I may as well find out what gave it away, so I fessed up, and we had a 5 minute chat about it. He was a Korean, working in the "male beauty" industry (his description) in Gangnam. He works with male hairpieces and male appearances generally, so I guess he has an eye for them. Disappointingly, he couldn't really tell what had caused him to suspect my piece. He said he wasn't sure, but he thought it "looked too perfect".

When I first started wearing, an incident like this would have knocked me for seven, but I have become somewhat more relaxed about it now. It was an isolated event, just him and me, so no harm done. You do your best to keep it natural looking and undetectable, but you've got to contemplate the possibility that one day something will go wrong or someone will have particularly sharp eyes, and the secret will be at least partially exposed. Obviously in this case it was mainly my choice. If I had said 'no, it's my natural hair' I'm sure that would have been the end of the conversation. In case there is a next time, I will have my response better rehearsed, so I am not left gaping like an idiot goldfish.
Thanks for sharing your experience Noah, I always enjoy and appreciate hearing of your hair system experiences.
On the plus side in your encounter, that is basically best case scenario in terms of getting called out..to be called out by someone who works In the hair system industry specifically. That guy probably could've spotted any guy wearing a system, no matter how good.
Pretty cool that you had the courage and toughness to ask him to specifically tell u how he could spot it.. I couldn't have done that but it's helpful to find out.

I recently had an encounter with a woman, probably mid 30s, in a building waiting for an elevator. She was kind of a strange chick,, definitely not what I would call "normal". We made eye contact and out of instinct I said "hey how are u?" And immediately she repeated " hey how are u" in a low weird voice. I kinda chuckled and said "uh, what?" And she was like "oh I'm just mocking u." LOL
At this point I was just thinking ok she's kind of a weirdo so I ignored it and we got on the elevator.
As we were on it she was struggling with her wallet and trying to pull out an ID or credit card and just acting odd, and I was just like " uh, you good?" I guess I had a condescending or mocking tone.
I forget exactly what she said word for word bc I was in such shock, but it was something along the lines of "yea you and that Toupee you got going on up there."
Lol I probably turned bright red and didn't say a word, and after a moment she was like "I didn't mean any offense by that."
I just laughed it off and was like "no worries, you're good."
We got off at separate floors and that was the end of it but it gutted me!
I immediately found a bathroom to check the hair. It was a bit dry and needed some leave in, plus I've been experimenting with buzzing sides and back bio hair short and trying undercut so the difference from shaved to hair on top may be a bit vast, but to say that weird woman's words F'd me up is an understatement!
I took it as a Loss early on in my hair system journey, maybe one of many. But cud have been worse and I won't give up!

I think you're right Noah, having a readied response in mind is a great idea. I had none, my face probably said it all LOL

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Years back a girl I was sleeping with finally asked me only based on the fact that I would let her touch it in bed. One embarrassing one was a girl I met at the bar supprized me by trying to run her hand through my hairline and the ridge was hit by her hand. She had a very puzzled look on her face.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had a work colleague pick something different but assumed it was a hair transplant - saw him 5 days a week
And a friend (girl) couldn't put her finger on it and assumed a different hairstyle - a saw her irregular
Im sure a few others have but no one was bold enough to say anything though I noticed them look (or is it me parnoid).

The two above were in the early days when I had a quiff so thats like being "naked"

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just as the title says....just wondering if any of u guys and long time OG guys have ever been called out.
How'd it happen and why do u think u were discovered?

How'd u deal with it and How'd u handle it internally and emotionally?

Thanks guys :)
Didn't I see you had a girlfriend? Does she know?

n1zza77

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think three times?
Once with a significant other who found out about it the first time we slept together, it was during a time where I forgot my glue and did not put it on correctly before visiting her for the weekend. She told me about it two months later by saying, you know I know right? I just doubled down and said, of course, babe. I don't think I'm trying to hide it. And that was it. Being nonchalant, unapologetic, and confident definitely helps.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience Noah, I always enjoy and appreciate hearing of your hair system experiences.
On the plus side in your encounter, that is basically best case scenario in terms of getting called out..to be called out by someone who works In the hair system industry specifically. That guy probably could've spotted any guy wearing a system, no matter how good.
Pretty cool that you had the courage and toughness to ask him to specifically tell u how he could spot it.. I couldn't have done that but it's helpful to find out.

I recently had an encounter with a woman, probably mid 30s, in a building waiting for an elevator. She was kind of a strange chick,, definitely not what I would call "normal". We made eye contact and out of instinct I said "hey how are u?" And immediately she repeated " hey how are u" in a low weird voice. I kinda chuckled and said "uh, what?" And she was like "oh I'm just mocking u." LOL
At this point I was just thinking ok she's kind of a weirdo so I ignored it and we got on the elevator.
As we were on it she was struggling with her wallet and trying to pull out an ID or credit card and just acting odd, and I was just like " uh, you good?" I guess I had a condescending or mocking tone.
I forget exactly what she said word for word bc I was in such shock, but it was something along the lines of "yea you and that Toupee you got going on up there."
Lol I probably turned bright red and didn't say a word, and after a moment she was like "I didn't mean any offense by that."
I just laughed it off and was like "no worries, you're good."
I immediately found a bathroom to check the hair. It was a bit dry and needed some leave in, plus I've been experimenting with buzzing sides and back bio hair short and trying undercut so the difference from shaved to hair on top may be a bit vast, but to say that weird woman's words F'd me up is an understatement!
I took it as a Loss early on in my hair system journey, maybe one of many. But cud have been worse and I won't give up!

I think you're right Noah, having a readied response in mind is a great idea. I had none, my face probably said it all LOL
Is that your own hair, Janey? Why yes. Bought on credit but now i own these silky, radiant locks and they are all mine.

Noah

Reaction score

There is a trend on YouTube and some of the system vendor sites to buzz the biohair at the sides down to zero and have a spikey system on top in a kind of very extreme undercut. I can understand why they do it, because it does showcase how amazing these systems are - the fact a guy can have an artificial scalp put on with absolutely no overlap to camouflage it, and the added hair can be cut down to a spikey buzzcut with the artificial scalp showing through, and still there's no visible sign it's a system. Also, if the guy has a good bone structure it shows that off and gives a very modelish look. But the fact that it's technically possible doesn't necessarily mean it's an ideal hair cut for a wearer. Frankly even if the base is 100% invisible it can still look to the layman like a toupee plonked on an otherwise bald head. If you don't want heat on your head (and none of us really want that) I think it's better to opt for a more conservative style with at least some biohair left on, and ideally a bit of blending at the point where the system meets the real hair.

Not saying you have this issue, but it's just something to consider.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is a trend on YouTube and some of the system vendor sites to buzz the biohair at the sides down to zero and have a spikey system on top in a kind of very extreme undercut. I can understand why they do it, because it does showcase how amazing these systems are - the fact a guy can have an artificial scalp put on with absolutely no overlap to camouflage it, and the added hair can be cut down to a spikey buzzcut with the artificial scalp showing through, and still there's no visible sign it's a system. Also, if the guy has a good bone structure it shows that off and gives a very modelish look. But the fact that it's technically possible doesn't necessarily mean it's an ideal hair cut for a wearer. Frankly even if the base is 100% invisible it can still look to the layman like a toupee plonked on an otherwise bald head. If you don't want heat on your head (and none of us really want that) I think it's better to opt for a more conservative style with at least some biohair left on, and ideally a bit of blending at the point where the system meets the real hair.

Not saying you have this issue, but it's just something to consider.
Yea man, for sure something to consider! I appreciate that info and feedback. I think the contrast between system on top and shaved bio hair bottom may be too much and suspect.
I think it blends better with more bio hair.
Plus, when the lady called me out, my bio hair was not matching the system color wise, needed to be dyed again.
Still looking for something faster and easier than my current .ethod which is Beard henna dye, which is just messy and entire process takes about 90 minutes.
I'm allergic to just 4 men so Maybe there's an alternative.
I tried back2natural on bio hair but it didn't do much, Maybe bc hair is too short and buzzed.

Also it's time to dye the system so gonna try back 2 natural but not sure if it's gonna work well, fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah. But I’m pretty comfortable with it now, though. If I were to get “found out”, I’d be like, “you got me” ala Heisenberg.

Last edited:

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel like what F'd me up the most about being called out is if this stranger noticed it's a hair piece in a brief casual encounter, who else has noticed and just not said anything?

I'm taking it as a good thing, maybe to help step my game up and keep color and blending better and use leave in conditioner much more frequently

All part of the journey....
Can't stop won't stop! :)

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is probably one of the most embarrassing things when wearing hair.The average person will not call you out even if they suspect you're wearing. When someone is talking to you and they keep shifting their eyes to your hair unconsciously, that is usually not a good sign. For me personally after wearing for 27 yrs I've never been called out. I have had a few close calls however. I've been intimate and Ive had women actually grab and pull my hair. I wear a full cap so I get nervous when they touch the back of my neck in the nape area.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, when I was wearing concealer, I found that most people would talk to my hair rather than my face. I’ve had a couple of glances from people when wearing a system, but it seems to have completely stopped. Don’t forget, just because they detect ‘something’, doesn’t mean they know what that something actually is.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, when I was wearing concealer, I found that most people would talk to my hair rather than my face. I’ve had a couple of glances from people when wearing a system, but it seems to have completely stopped. Don’t forget, just because they detect ‘something’, doesn’t mean they know what that something actually is.
Yeah I figure most people know since my last couple years on concealer probably weren't an undetectable enough look. Took advantage of not being at work for 2 months to switch to a system, no one has said anything except my boss one day said, "I don't know what you did with your hair this summer but it looks amazing!". I just said "thank you" and left it at that, no worries.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was asked just this week whether I'd had a hair transplant - by someone who didn't know me before I had a system. It was a bit awkward, but I could understand why he asked: he is losing hair quickly at age 30 and is planning to have a hair transplant this year. I felt bad lying to him because I did say that I'd had a hair transplant (rather than the truth that I wear a system) and I think he believed me. I then warned him about the reality of hair transplants and that results are very variable.

The problem with systems in many cases is that they are just too good. Most people at a certain age (such in in my 40s) just would not have such nice hair - regardless of the density, it is the quality/shine/length too that sometime look too good. I love the look, but maybe it isn't realistic beyond a certain age. And I tend to go for lower density and 15% grey.

I'm sure many other people have noticed that I wear, especially my first 2 systems which were pretty awful in comparison to my more recent ones. But no one had said anything to me ... just the occasional glance. Though now, with this improved system, I reckon people look at the hair and wonder how come I have a full head!

@jimlad I agree, concealer was much worse. The 2nd glances eventually made me move to a system even quicker.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I figure most people know since my last couple years on concealer probably weren't an undetectable enough look. Took advantage of not being at work for 2 months to switch to a system, no one has said anything except my boss one day said, "I don't know what you did with your hair this summer but it looks amazing!". I just said "thank you" and left it at that, no worries.
I actually think that they probably didn't twig. It's so rare that anyone would know what it is you're doing, and the concealer would suggest that you are having some issues with hair loss, but it would (by its nature) mask how bad the situation was. So rocking up with a hair system on can be taken as anything from a new styling technique to hair transplant - if it's subtle it can even cause people to question their previous theories about your hairloss.

timn420

Reaction score
I think if anyone asked I would say it was a hair transplant, as in my head it seems less stigmatizing. I'm in my 40's and do think that my hair is almost too perfect. If someone does call me out, I'm definitely going to ask what was it that they noticed to assume that.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think if anyone asked I would say it was a hair transplant, as in my head it seems less stigmatizing. I'm in my 40's and do think that my hair is almost too perfect. If someone does call me out, I'm definitely going to ask what was it that they noticed to assume that.
I agree that a transplant is definitely less stigmatizing.