Anyone Else Saw It Coming But Still Gutted When It Happened?

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been paying attention to my hair and hairline and have been occasionally lurking this forum since I was 15 years old because my dad was bald at 23(nw7), his dad was also nw7 in his mid 20s (earliest pics we have of him). My dad has 3 brothers who are all went bald as f*** before 25. To put into perspective, when I was 15 I went to visit their family for the first time (we live in different countries) and they were legit surprised that I still had hair at 15. That is how fucked they are with hair loss, they were surprised that I had a full head of hair at 15.

I had 0 hairloss (no recession or thinning) at all up until I was almost 22 years old where one day I just woke up with a burning,painful scalp and clumps of hair falling out. Just when I thought I somehow lucked out on hair genes this sh*t happens and I start diffusing in a NW7 pattern quickly as if i'm making up for the lost time.

Even with knowing there is aggressive hairloss in my family I was and am still pretty depressed and gutted with this happening I cant imagine how fucked it is for you guys with little hair loss in your family but still balding young. Especially those of you with fathers with full head of hairs. TBH that would make hairloss 10 times worse. Knowing that my dad is old with a full head of hair and im still balding.

hailbrotzu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive lost more hair in the past year then my dad has in his whole life. He is norwood 2ish with a smidge of thinning. He probably will keep that til he dies. My grandpa is a literal norwood 1 at 85 although its not as thick as a teenagers hair. On my moms side my grandpa is so bald that the back of his head and sides are diffused to sh*t. He barely has hair and has been bald since his early 20s. I always hoped i would get my dads genes. Now im holding on to my hair for dear life with treatments.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive lost more hair in the past year then my dad has in his whole life. He is norwood 2ish with a smidge of thinning. He probably will keep that til he dies. My grandpa is a literal norwood 1 at 85 although its not as thick as a teenagers hair. On my moms side my grandpa is so bald that the back of his head and sides are diffused to sh*t. He barely has hair and has been bald since his early 20s. I always hoped i would get my dads genes. Now im holding on to my hair for dear life with treatments.

Life is bullshit man, I feel you. I have lost more hair this year than my maternal grandfather lost in his whole life. What does ur dad think about ur hairloss?

hailbrotzu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Life is bullshit man, I feel you. I have lost more hair this year than my maternal grandfather lost in his whole life. What does ur dad think about ur hairloss?

My pops just says im not balding or that maybe its just the way god made me or some bullshit. What kills me is my mom thinks im crazy. She says im not balding and that nobody experiences head itching, it must be in my head. Then she says ludacris stuff like the fact that my hair is pulled back is causing hairloss or that she has hair falling out in the shower so its the same.

couldntthinkofaname

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
honestly f*** this sh*t

why cant i just have a norwood 1 hairline until 40 ..or at least norwood 2

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always suspected it, I had a pronounced swirl on my crown already at age 15 and a widows peak at the same age and everyone declared me crazy when I mentioned it.

Yet at arround age 20 I deluded myself into thinking I might have more time, because the recession wasn’t too bad and my hair was so thick. Then bam turbothinning at 23 in a norwood 7 pattern, a lot of physical pain and clumps of hair falling out.

The only completely bald men in my family are my paternal grandfather and my maternal uncle, so I always had hope it would skip me or at least hit me in my 40s.

I don’t wanna go into pseudoscience territory, but I had immense psychological trauma arround age 20-22 so that might have accelerated things...but then my grandpa served on the Eastern front and he lost his hair much later than me.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always suspected it, I had a pronounced swirl on my crown already at age 15 and a widows peak at the same age and everyone declared me crazy when I mentioned it.

Yet at arround age 20 I deluded myself into thinking I might have more time, because the recession wasn’t too bad and my hair was so thick. Then bam turbothinning at 23 in a norwood 7 pattern, a lot of physical pain and clumps of hair falling out.

The only completely bald men in my family are my paternal grandfather and my maternal uncle, so I always had hope it would skip me or at least hit me in my 40s.

I don’t wanna go into pseudoscience territory, but I had immense psychological trauma arround age 20-22 so that might have accelerated things...but then my grandpa served on the Eastern front and he lost his hair much later than me.

Well if it makes you feel any better I recently talked to a maternal uncle. He told me that when he was around my age (22) clumps of hair started falling out and he started to freak out. Then it just stopped and now he is 40 but still has more hair than the average guy his age. He says he is now starting to lose it even faster but to the average person he still looks like he has no hairloss. Hopefully our loss will stop and stabilize like that too for some decades. I doubt it for me though considering the number of nw7s I have closely related but maybe for you something like that is possible.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if it makes you feel any better I recently talked to a maternal uncle. He told me that when he was around my age (22) clumps of hair started falling out and he started to freak out. Then it just stopped and now he is 40 but still has more hair than the average guy his age. He says he is now starting to lose it even faster but to the average person he still looks like he has no hairloss. Hopefully our loss will stop and stabilize like that too for some decades. I doubt it for me though considering the number of nw7s I have closely related but maybe for you something like that is possible.

No it’s over for me. I maintained and regrew a lot age 24-28, but then had to stop finasteride because of sides and almost lost it all. I technically have a nw2,5 hairline , but completely thinned out in a Norwood 7 or even 8 shape. The only thing that can save me is Potentially Riken.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
No it’s over for me. I maintained and regrew a lot age 24-28, but then had to stop finasteride because of sides and almost lost it all. I technically have a nw2,5 hairline , but completely thinned out in a Norwood 7 or even 8 shape. The only thing that can save me is Potentially Riken.

That sucks man. Did balding really effect your life that negatively, like with girls, career etc? I am on finasteride 0.5mg per day and as of right now I still look like I have no hairloss to most people. My hairline is still nw1. Ive noticed lower libido but thats probably it in terms of sides. I plan on taking it until 35 or until another treatment comes out.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
That sucks man. Did balding really effect your life that negatively, like with girls, career etc? I am on finasteride 0.5mg per day and as of right now I still look like I have no hairloss to most people. My hairline is still nw1. Ive noticed lower libido but thats probably it in terms of sides. I plan on taking it until 35 or until another treatment comes out.

Sure did, the confidence issues are the biggest issue, even though I have a gf and good job prospects.

Yeah didn’t have much sides for the first years either...disappointing.

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I should've seen it coming....

My dad started losing his hair in middle school and was bald by his 20's. My mom fed me the lie that balding genetics come from her side of the family, and I believed her! I started shedding real bad in my senior year of HS, and she told me "it's normal! I shed a lot too!" It wasn't until a year later that I noticed my temples were receded.

All things considered, I'm extremely fortunate. I didn't start treatment until this year, I'm 24 and at an early NW3 while my little brother is nearing NW4 with heavy diffuse.

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm NW5 and my 4 year older brother is a thick NW1 and recently started styling his hair more when he got a new girlfriend. It's really awesome.

At least I have an excuse to torture myself by sticking needles in my head starting tomorrow so I guess I got that going for me? Can't imagine what it must be like to just live happily & free of worries and have massive confidence everywhere you go, that sh*t must SUCK.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm NW5 and my 4 year older brother is a thick NW1 and recently started styling his hair more when he got a new girlfriend. It's really awesome.

At least I have an excuse to torture myself by sticking needles in my head starting tomorrow so I guess I got that going for me? Can't imagine what it must be like to just live happily & free of worries and have massive confidence everywhere you go, that sh*t must SUCK.

Im sorry man, that really sucks seeing an older brother have that much more hair than you. Is there a lot of balding in your family?

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a NW3 Vertex diffuse thinning guy. My father and grandfathers are all NW1-NW2 full heads.:rolleyes:

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im sorry man, that really sucks seeing an older brother have that much more hair than you. Is there a lot of balding in your family?

Dad's a solid NW6 but at least didn't start balding too badly until his 40's. (I started at 24 and was pretty aggressive) Granddad also slick bald but no clue when that started. Mom's side all fullheads.

It's weird, I definitely don't wish for him to start balding, but at the same time if it happened to him as well I feel like I would cope a little better and have some peace of mind. It helps that I don't see him that often, and when I do I just force myself to think that it's a good thing, that it means there's still hope for me and my genes maybe aren't total sh*t in that department.

blackg

Reaction score
And then at 36, and at 37, 38-39 and so on.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
And then at 36, and at 37, 38-39 and so on.

Yeah I mean if I can get to any of those ages with some hair I already beat my genetics. I should be a norwood 7 right now.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I sadly detected an overtone of glee in my father's voice when he noticed I was balding and, in his opinion, I started earlier than him. He also made jokes about my hairloss, the same day he digged up memories of being made fun for his own baldness ages ago. I feel him even more distant than I ever have now. I feel sorry for him, but I also feel like I don't really care if he's aging and what he's going through himself

blackg

Reaction score
I sadly detected an overtone of glee in my father's voice when he noticed I was balding and, in his opinion, I started earlier than him. He also made jokes about my hairloss, the same day he digged up memories of being made fun for his own baldness ages ago. I feel him even more distant than I ever have now. I feel sorry for him, but I also feel like I don't really care if he's aging and what he's going through himself
You're Dad is most likely the turd who passed on this gene (on offense).