Anyone Else Saw It Coming But Still Gutted When It Happened?

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I sadly detected an overtone of glee in my father's voice when he noticed I was balding and, in his opinion, I started earlier than him. He also made jokes about my hairloss, the same day he digged up memories of being made fun for his own baldness ages ago. I feel him even more distant than I ever have now. I feel sorry for him, but I also feel like I don't really care if he's aging and what he's going through himself

Your dad sounds like a b**ch tbh. What kind of man gets enjoyment from someone elses misfortune, especially their own son.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he's a b**ch. Only childish. I believe schadenfreude is totally normal, even among family members. It's the same mechanism that makes baldness more painful when one's father has a full head. What makes it annoying is the lack of control over such feelings. Acceptable for a child, much less for an adult - especially since some children are more sensitive than that

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dunno man, I could be a slick NW7 and I'd still want my son to be a NW1. Imo, the schadenfreude only makes sense for people of similar age/older than you because it seems unfair that someone has more youthful characteristics than you despite being same age/older.

While I can be envious of a 20 year old with a thick NW1, it doesn't actually bother me (I'm 32). But seeing a 60 year old man rocking a solid NW2 makes me really sad.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dunno man, I could be a slick NW7 and I'd still want my son to be a NW1. Imo, the schadenfreude only makes sense for people of similar age/older than you because it seems unfair that someone has more youthful characteristics than you despite being same age/older.

While I can be envious of a 20 year old with a thick NW1, it doesn't actually bother me (I'm 32). But seeing a 60 year old man rocking a solid NW2 makes me really sad.

I feel absolutely the same.

Anyone older than myself with more hair than myself gives me a deep sense of sadness - the feeling of missing on something that I saw I could have rightfully aspired to. But if they are younger than myself, well. I have enjoyed the same as they have now.

Also, when I look at my nephew who is now 5, I hope he takes after his dad (no hairloss on that side). I definitely don't want him to go through the same as I'm going. But then again, I'm more sorry for my father than I am for myself

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel absolutely the same.

Anyone older than myself with more hair than myself gives me a deep sense of sadness - the feeling of missing on something that I saw I could have rightfully aspired to. But if they are younger than myself, well. I have enjoyed the same as they have now.

Also, when I look at my nephew who is now 5, I hope he takes after his dad (no hairloss on that side). I definitely don't want him to go through the same as I'm going. But then again, I'm more sorry for my father than I am for myself

You are 33 right? How is your hairloss? When did you start losing and how bad did it get?

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score

My dad was a slick nw7 at 22 but im still here only STARTED a year ago by diffuse thinning at 22 (still appear as a full head when grown out). I lost my dad years ago but if he was alive I think he would be sympathetic to me losing my hair now because my mom always told me that he was insecure about it. Plus, he was a hat prisoner lol. Almost in every pic of him he has a hat on. But you never know, he was an a**h**.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are 33 right? How is your hairloss? When did you start losing and how bad did it get?
Yes. When I was 23 or 24 my hairline started receding, and it continued to recede for maybe 2 years, and hasn't moved since, it's just a mature hairline. But around 27 I noticed a slight thinning in the vertex, which either accelerated or became more visible in the past year - in July I moved to a house full of mirrors and with wide windows that let tons of light in. Either way, last september is when I really realised that I was seriously balding. I have two bald spots on the vertex where scalp is clearly visible. They look like gaping wounds to me

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad was a slick nw7 at 22 but im still here only STARTED a year ago by diffuse thinning at 22 (still appear as a full head when grown out). I lost my dad years ago but if he was alive I think he would be sympathetic to me losing my hair now because my mom always told me that he was insecure about it. Plus, he was a hat prisoner lol. Almost in every pic of him he has a hat on. But you never know, he was an a**h**.
Yes baldness can make some men bitter

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. When I was 23 or 24 my hairline started receding, and it continued to recede for maybe 2 years, and hasn't moved since, it's just a mature hairline. But around 27 I noticed a slight thinning in the vertex, which either accelerated or became more visible in the past year - in July I moved to a house full of mirrors and with wide windows that let tons of light in. Either way, last september is when I really realised that I was seriously balding. I have two bald spots on the vertex where scalp is clearly visible. They look like gaping wounds to me

Are you considering Propecia?

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you considering Propecia?
No way ever. Too much risk of side effects. I'm needling and rosemarying my scalp while I wait for science to make progress with probably misplaced hope... Maybe I'll just get a transplant further down the line or find a bald husband and accept a sad but shared destiny? (I'm homosexual) We'll see what happens, life is a riveting film either way. But propecia is off the plot for sure

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
No way ever. Too much risk of side effects. I'm needling and rosemarying my scalp while I wait for science to make progress with probably misplaced hope... Maybe I'll just get a transplant further down the line or find a bald husband and accept a sad but shared destiny? (I'm homosexual) We'll see what happens, life is a riveting film either way. But propecia is off the plot for sure

How is baldness looked at in the gay community? I don't think they consider it as much of a negative trait right?

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is baldness looked at in the gay community? I don't think they consider it as much of a negative trait right?
I don't know... I personally don't think it makes any real difference. If I don't like a bald guy, it's because I wouldn't like him with or without hair. I can think of countless cases where I approached bald men and they ignored/rejected me

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
But in the wider community, looks matter and they matter a lot
Thats the truth aint it. Well ive been on propecia for 7 months now and only recently ive noticed lowered libido. I cant stop taking it now though I have norwood 7 genetics. So I guess im choosing no-wood over norwood lol.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats the truth aint it. Well ive been on propecia for 7 months now and only recently ive noticed lowered libido. I cant stop taking it now though I have norwood 7 genetics. So I guess im choosing no-wood over norwood lol.
Ahahha fair choice. I can understand it even though I'm not making it for now - sh*t isn't really near the fan yet, but getting dangerously close. Have you considered needling?

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know... I personally don't think it makes any real difference. If I don't like a bald guy, it's because I wouldn't like him with or without hair. I can think of countless cases where I approached bald men and they ignored/rejected me

This, so much. Hair loss just affects your looks no matter what. There's almost no guys that straight up look better bald/shaven, unless their original haircut was just stupid.

That doesn't mean guys can't be good looking shaved, but you gotta have some damn good genetics/be in shape/tall to not be affected too much by it. And in the end it still sucks, because everyone wants to "play in their league" and suddenly dropping 2-3 tiers is a very tough pill to swallow.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's complicated though, I got to the point where conventional good looks are a turn off for me

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are a couple things I value more than hair in a guy, and I actually value them a LOT more, to the point where if you check off all of them I don't even need to see you without a hat on.

That being said, I've never seen a before/after picture where I thought: man, this shaved/bald version looks much better.

LastSamurai

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the feeling. I have been slowly receeding since 17. I've actually been 'lucky' to hold onto my hair until almost 30, but I go through periods where I just think, for fucks sake, is this really my fate?

I know I'm getting closer to shaving down my nw3.5 to a trim and grow a beard. There really is no other option. I just despair at how bad it looks. That's the problem with hairloss. It's not just that it's a loss of ego, but it actually looks like sh*t when you grow your hair out. I have this bulbous forehead as well, my skull seems to have a kind of v shape, but I'm sure the longer my hair grows out, the worse it begins to look.

I have documented this 'cycle' on here before. When I get my hair cropped down it's OK, even sometimes I feel attractive, and then after a week or so, I begin to feel unattractive again. It's a tiresome period. At least by committing to a short buzz, you are no longer at mercy to the 'haircut, look good, then look sh*t cycle' as the hair begins to grow out again. You keep your look the same kind of way. I'm just concerned about how my hairline may look, or how 'obvious' my recession may look. But I've seen a few videos, from the likes of Nick Cage; although his motives seem unclear, there are some useful videos where he shows the difference between a 0.5/1 and so on. It seems like a short crop looks much better.

But then, I get worried about my ears, they're wider then I'd like. Although I don't think the ears will necessarily look much wider, but it's a question of how noticeable it gets. Anyway, the truth is I know I've been talking about shaving for a while and taking some control back. I think that's important in the balding process. If we 'just' go bald slowly, it is a kind of torture if we don't do anything.

My personal belief is that taking drugs are not helping that victim cycle of balding. Because you are just holding on. Maybe hair transplant's or other solutions could be argued differently though. I imagine most balding guys - once they begin to shave/trim, and take control of their situation start to feel better. You are then no longer at mercy of your hairline or your hairdresser. You choose when to trim, and it looks like it does all of the time granted you trim every few days or a week. I think taking control is going to be a much better solution then being in the shitty balding and it sucks cycle.

I think we get to a point (at different times) when we realise that hair can't serve us anymore. The awkward period is the stage of denial where we hold onto our hair, even though it looks like a crappy bush on our head. It's time for me to let go of styling my hair and embrace a buzzed look.

Going to get a haircut over the next two days and depending on how it looks, I may just go and trim it. I'm tired of being a prisoner to a mirror.