Any Solution To Help With Erection Quality

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
My point was about the importance of psychology when one considers dutasteride and erection quality. A placebo effect is a powerful thing: assume, you take Avodart and you know that it can impede your erection (although, to my view, the evidence is of low statistical significance) and, moreover, you read all these scary stories (rather subjective things) and you're far more likely to experience all these scary side effects. My attitude to Avodart has changed over time. At first I was quite neutral, no better, no worse with respect to erection etc. Then I started to read more and more about various sides and a lot of scary stories - and .... my erection and libido became really impaired))). I was really stressed and my libido really dropped. Then I started to assume that things may not be so bad. I read further and found evidence about positive effects of dutasteride on these aspects. Plus I simply stopped thinking about scary sides of avodart and excessive reading of scary stories)) ... and now I live normally, taking SOME pill that helps me look better and stay healthier rather than a powerful drug that is bound to ruin my penis. This has helped. Now I have no problems with libido and erections at all. Sometimes I feel that these have become even better. Psychology is an important aspect to consider.

How long have you been taking dutasteride for?

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not a long term user. Just in my 7th month. I take a pill daily. This is an important qualification to my argument, it's true. But I also know that as I age, my libido and erection quality will inevitably subside, I'm not going to blame Avodart for this. When certain parameters coincide, this does not necessarily mean that they're interdependent. To strengthen my argument: I conducted a number of small-scale psychological experiments with long-term Avodart users (males in their 40s who have been on Avodart for 2-5 years). I had to find those who 1) do not care about hair loss and 2) have poor medical knowledge = they simply take some pill because a doctor said so. Then I 'educated' them (using falsified evidence and statistics): to some I told about all possible scary effects, doing everything I could to convince them that Avodart is the cause of their low libido and poor erection - the result was predictable). To other I told that it is a wonder drug to protect this penis and provide for a better erection. I was told that their erection had certainly improved thanks to this powerful drug. This illustrates another psychological aspect: people tend to be in conformity with other people = when they consistently hear that some drug ruins erection in others, they tend to subconsciously believe that they are no different.

Chronic Tronic

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nitric oxide boosters like horse chestnut extract, pine bark extract. Vegetables like beets and arugula also. I once ate a whole bag of fresh arugula and woke up the next morning with the hardest morning wood i ever had. And i never get morning wood, ever

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I once ate a whole bag of fresh arugula and woke up the next morning with the hardest morning wood i ever had. And i never get morning wood, ever

Good point. This may be another limitation to my argument above. My diet contains quite a lot of things that are associated with better libido and erection, although I do not take it seriously, I simply eat what I like rather than for specific medical purposes. It actually includes large amounts of fresh arugula every single day along with scallops (2-3 times a week), sturgeon etc.. This may have contributed to my normal state while on Avodart.

INT

Reaction score
To put it short, dutasteride indirectly helps to keep your penis 'younger' in the LONG term. Penis size and erection quality will inevitably subside, as we age. There're several mechanisms that are put forward in academic articles for professionals. This things are complex to discuss here, just surf relevant peer-reviewed academic journals on e.g. JSTOR.

Haha come on. At least admit that you were talking out of your ***.

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wishful thinking and broscience
It's up to you to evaluate. I'm not a medical professional, just a social scientist. I simply enjoy looking at my Avodart story from a research perspective within my capacity. Prostate hyperplasia is a common thing as we age and contributes to poor penis health in the long term (risk of infections, risks of inadequate blood supply, risks of cancerous formations).

My PERCEPTION/OPINION is: given that 1) prostate cancer is one of the most common type of cancer men face and 2) dutasteride can be associated with a regression of a prostate cancer risk (an earlier common knowledge is that it may have the risk of increasing the incidence of cancer) in the long term and thereby a regression in the need to be on certain drugs that can ruin one's sexual function far more definitely than dutasteride (e.g. high dose Diane-35), I conclude that dutasteride is beneficial for me with respect to threats to my sexual function in the future.

Last edited:

INT

Reaction score
It's up to you to evaluate. I'm not a medical professional, just a social scientist. I simply enjoy looking at my Avodart story from a research perspective within my capacity. Prostate hyperplasia is a common thing as we age and contributes to poor penis health in the long term (risk of infections, risks of inadequate blood supply, risks of cancerous formations and a need to resort to Diane-35-like drugs which will ruin one's masculinity).
it's ok to challenge the existing truths and be open to alternative views - whatever crazy they may seem, e.g. we know that in prescription info we have a warning that Avodart may be associated with a slight increase in the risk of cancer, while some more recent articles say that preventing prostate hyperplasia by using dutasteride actually decreases risk of cancer and therefore decreases the likelihood that one may need diane-35-like drugs that are clearly correlated with poorer libido and erection.

That is such a huge stretch of the imagination. That is definitely not enough to be able to say that dutasteride protects the penis long term so you need to take that back.

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is definitely not enough to be able to say that dutasteride protects the penis long term so you need to take that back.
I did not say that dutasteride helps to keep a better erection in the long term, all things being equal. I said that it protects one's penis in the long term, and specified what I meant by 'protection'. If you're an FDA panel expert, then this discussion is irrelevant here - I'm an ordinary consumer and this is my opinion based on info I managed to find and process within my capacity, not an official statement of some GSK representative.

INT

Reaction score
Dutasteride actually protects your penis in the long term.
(...) not enough to be able to say that dutasteride protects the penis long term so you need to take that back.
I did not say that dutasteride helps to keep a better erection in the long term,

Neither did I say that, as you can see above. I literally quoted you. Sure, it can you be your opinion that duta does that, just do no present it as a fact here that is backed up by science.

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
do no present it as a fact here that is backed up by science.

Methodologies used in clinical trials are complex and have their limitations. In an ideal world when we get a trial's outcomes, any FDA panel would vote unanimously yes/no to e.g. warnings/contradictations etc with respect to a certain drug. In real life they often disagree and it's ok. We know the there are some standards of proof - e.g. required CI and p-values. Still, a lot depends on a particular study design and leaves scope for interpretation - e.g. to what extent one can argue smth is a fact.

An example of a different well-known drug: liraglutide (Victoza), a golden standard of diabetes treatment now. Initially there were concerns that it increases the risk of pancreas cancer. Time went by, more data have been accumulated and now a good endocrinologist knows that liraglutide actually decreases the risk of pancreas cancer. Talking about 'facts' in medical science can be very difficult. The same is about e.g. niacin - we still do not know whether it is helpful in combating atherosclerosis. Different study designs have produced very divergent results.

So, what should I do? Delete some the replies above? I will do, as you, an established member with a better form statistics, say.

Done, I have deleted some of the posts above and edited another post. Would you now agree that none of my statements mislead forum members in any way?

Last edited:

Ray Baz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What oils do u use?

Hi, i use peppermint oils mixed with onion juice and ginger with lemon. this mix works for me and yes even with the Ashwagandha which boost my natural T levels my hair loss has gone from having 30-40 hairs+ on my hands when washing my hair to having 2-3 hairs. and my hairs grown thicker. I am prone to male pattern baldness aswell so this works for me.

Dont knock it until you try it for atleast a month then tell me what you think.

Ray Baz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't ashwagandha boost T levels? for someone who is sensitive to t it might not be a good idea since finasteride/dutasteride is also boosting them. You had no detrimental effects on your hair from it?

No i thought that after reading the benefits of ashwagandha, i assumed i might have hair loss due to raised T levels but it hasnt and after blood tests my levels are only average and not high like that of someone actually taking testosterone. Its reduced my cortisol levels and makes me calm which is handy to have and in result has prevented me losing hair due from stress which everyone has.

tysono

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Ashwagandha? I’ve heard really mixed reviews on it

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Ashwagandha? I’ve heard really mixed reviews on it
It works for 4/5 days than wears off..
Again, if you suffer from anti androgens side effects taper off the medication gradually and start dermaroll+minoxidil +mild dht blocker like zix

INT

Reaction score

Like 99% of the 'test boosters'; Barely any in vivo evidence of its efficacy.

Here a decent overview with test boosters that have some (minimal most of the time) evidence behind them.

Last edited:

tysono

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So is there really anything right now that I could use instead of dutasteride? Like topical finasteride etc, or would nothing really compare and I would just lose ground?