any one went from Norwood 5+ to Norwood 3-

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am curious to know the effectiveness and utility of the big 3.
Has anyone improved from NW5+ to NW3 or NW2 just by using big 3 or other topicals/medicines without using transplants?
Is this possible? If so how long will it take?
How many percentage of users can do this? Is this realistic?
Or do you think if you are more than Norwood 4, transplantation is the only option?
thanks.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I'm optimistic and hoping like hell my crown will start filling in over the fall.

I went from a Norwood 4 to a 3 my first go-around on Proscar.

I'm hoping that even at a reduced dose - I can graduate from a 5A!

Christmas will tell.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score

SE-freak

Reaction score
nooc are you sure you are NW2 now? I cant figure out where your hairline really is from your photos but it seems like you are better than NW2.

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
SE Freak, I'm not absolutely sure where I fit on the Norwood scale before and after. It seems to me that the Norwood Scale doesn't always describe everyone's situation. You can be a little bit of one phase for your hairline and another phase for your vertex.

My hairline does look better than a Norwood 2 in the picture, but honestly, I know there's still a little bit of recession there that is slowly filling in, but will never be as when I was a teenager.

But if Norwood 2 is the best I can get, then I'll take it.

The Gardener

Reaction score
nohairnodandruff said:
Has Anyone ever went from a NW10 to a Norwood 1 without transplants or wigs?

Yes. Chemotherapy patients have been known to lose all hair, and then once therapy is ended, they typically grow it back.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nooc you have great results. congrats!
how long you were norwood 4-5? is this a thing going on for many years or you went suddenly bald?
thanks.

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
The first time my thinning was first brought to my attention was six years ago when a hair stylist suggested Toppik to me. But of course, I didn't really think of it much then.

Even over the years, as it was obviously progressing, I never gave it much thought. Even if friends would politely point out that I was thinning, I never thought it looked that bad.

But last August I was finally starting to clue in but still did nothing. Until this past March when I got my latest haircut, looked in the mirror, and had that sinking feeling in my gut that I think we've all had.

I panicked and started doing my research. Knowing full well that I have the money for an hair transplant but not the time until January, so until then I would try the big 3. So far, my results have been very encouraging and I don't think I'm going to need that hair transplant for quite a while now.

So, I guess it took about six years for me to get to a Norwood 4 - 5 and was that way for about a year before I finally did something about it.

HairyPotter

Established Member
Reaction score
Awesome results nooc...

Do you use Propecia or Proscar? Is it generic or genuine? Do you get it from a pharmacy or on-line? Thanks

Nuno

Reaction score
nooc, I wouldn't exactly say you were a Northwood 4 or 5. I think it would be more acurate to say you were perhaps a Norwood 3 with thinning in the 4 or 5 region. You had too strong a hairline and too much hair left in these areas to be cosidered a 4 or 5. Excellent results though. Your hair has really filled in nicely.

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
HairyPotter, I use genuine Proscar 1/4 tablet Su, Tu, Thu, and Sat.

Nuno, I agree with you. That's what I was saying earlier that the Norwood scale doesn't describe everyone perfectly, that you can be a little bit of this and a little bit of that in different areas.

drinkrum

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
nohairnodandruff said:
Has Anyone ever went from a NW10 to a Norwood 1 without transplants or wigs?

Yes. Chemotherapy patients have been known to lose all hair, and then once therapy is ended, they typically grow it back.

Smart ***.

D.

G

Look up the poster known as "ShinyDome." He was like a Norwood 6 or 7 and went to a NW4 ish

Deaner

Reaction score
Are you friggin' kidding me?! I've been on this sh*t for 15 months now (somewhere around there, starting to lose count) and my hairline hasn't moved one bit!!! And I was only Norwood 2-2.5ish MAX to begin with, still sitting at the same place. In 4 months you come back from super diffuse thinning to reasonable density AND a better hairline than me? I feel like crying :p

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you talking to me? ARE you talking to ME?!

If you are, here's what I think. Sure, the big 3 has helped me out. But also, I think I might have been going through a bad seasonal and stress-related shed. Also, my stylist may have been cutting way more than she should have.

So, I think there are other factors going on other than just the big 3.

drinkrum

Reaction score
I thought you didn't have any hair loss Deaner? And, by the way, is that you in your avatar?! :lol:

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Deaner said:
You guys really don't read my posts eh? Figured as much :p

Just bustin' your chops, homez. We bald folk need to keep it real. Remember, it's not a bald spot, it's a solar panel for a sex machine. Bling.

D.