Any minoxidil non-responders here who are now responding with microneedling & minoxidil?

nick123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm someone who never responded to minoxidil most likely because I lack follicular sulfotransferase enzymes which are the enzymes minoxidil interacts with in order to promote hair growth.

There's this study here that states microneedling upregulates sulfotransferase enzymes: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32492993/

That being said are there any minoxidil non-repsonders here that now respond to minoxidil because they've added microneedling to their regime?

CJ_Frankfurt

My Regimen
Reaction score
I‘m currently trying to get results with the minoxidil-microneedling combo and after two months it seems to work. I apply minoxidil straight after needling with a 0.5 mm depth (Derminator 2). Besides my scalp I used Tretinoin 0.1 to promote beard growth and that definitely was a game changer. Unfortunately the skin on my scalp is to sensitive to tret application.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I‘m currently trying to get results with the minoxidil-microneedling combo and after two months it seems to work. I apply minoxidil straight after needling with a 0.5 mm depth (Derminator 2). Besides my scalp I used Tretinoin 0.1 to promote beard growth and that definitely was a game changer. Unfortunately the skin on my scalp is to sensitive to tret application.
You use min on your beard too? Or only tret?

CJ_Frankfurt

My Regimen
Reaction score
You use min on your beard too? Or only tret?
Yes, I do. But I combine it with minoxidil. First I apply the minoxidil foam and 10 minutes later I apply the tretinoin creme 0.1. And it definitely works. I had no beard on my cheeks at all and since applying the tret-minoxidil combo hair comes out of nowhere. I’m currently 39 years old and I never had a beard on my cheeks. Now I‘m going to change that. But I also have to admit that it takes time. It’s a very slow process. Don’t expect a miracle. Consistency is king and the skin will be very dry. And please consult your physician if there are any concerns. Good luck!

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm someone who never responded to minoxidil most likely because I lack follicular sulfotransferase enzymes which are the enzymes minoxidil interacts with in order to promote hair growth.

There's this study here that states microneedling upregulates sulfotransferase enzymes: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32492993/

That being said are there any minoxidil non-repsonders here that now respond to minoxidil because they've added microneedling to their regime?
Just get tretinoin, much safer and easier .

cj79

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always believed you shouldn't use minoxidil for 24hrs after dermarolling

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of great results with Minoxidil + Microneedling, I've yet to see a great response from Minoxidil + Tretinoin.
Lol. It have being use it since late 80s . It was in the first formula of Xandrox that made Dr Lee hair loss lotion so popular . Search for the study done in 2019 .
Plus, I don't think nobody really undersntad the dangerous of microneeding on chronically damage the scalp and also the risk of infection.

Lurker otto

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol. It have being use it since late 80s . It was in the first formula of Xandrox that made Dr Lee hair loss lotion so popular . Search for the study done in 2019 .
Plus, I don't think nobody really undersntad the dangerous of microneeding on chronically damage the scalp and also the risk of infection.
What percentage of tret do you recommend? 0.1 or 0.05?

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

So you mean you were a non responder to minoxidil? Now that you added microneedling your getting slightly visible results at the 2 month mark? I just want to make sure I understand. Tretinoin 0.1% might be way too much. I think the usual dosage for hair to avoid vitamin A overdosed follicles, skin irritation, and increased sulta1a for better minoxidil efficacy is tretinoin 0.01% - 0.025%. Retinol might be good at 0.1% because it has to go through a three stage conversion process before being converted to retinoic acid or generic tretinoin. Only a small amount of retinol turns into retinoic acid. At least that’s what the stuff I have been reading claims.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you mean you were a non responder to minoxidil? Now that you added microneedling your getting slightly visible results at the 2 month mark? I just want to make sure I understand. Tretinoin 0.1% might be way too much. I think the usual dosage for hair to avoid vitamin A overdosed follicles, skin irritation, and increased sulta1a for better minoxidil efficacy is tretinoin 0.01% - 0.025%. Retinol might be good at 0.1% because it has to go through a three stage conversion process before being converted to retinoic acid or generic tretinoin. Only a small amount of retinol turns into retinoic acid. At least that’s what the stuff I have been reading claims.
I’m thinking of just switching to 2.5 mg oral min. I think topicals just irritate my scalp.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m thinking of just switching to 2.5 mg oral min. I think topicals just irritate my scalp.
What topicals irritate your scalp? Like propylene glycol and alcohol? The ph level of skin products might play a role. They say anything that you put on your skin that has a high ph can be irritating. I’m trying this new formula with an isopropyl alcohol and vegetable glycerin base. It has retin-a and I hope that it works better without irritation.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What topicals irritate your scalp? Like propylene glycol and alcohol? The ph level of skin products might play a role. They say anything that you put on your skin that has a high ph can be irritating. I’m trying this new formula with an isopropyl alcohol and vegetable glycerin base. It has retin-a and I hope that it works better without irritation.
I think most topicals in general. The less the better. PG made my hair shed like a b**ch-- which is why I switched from liquid to foam min. But most topicals make my hair feel a lot more brittle I have found

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also just kind of over having to worry about taking 30 min out of my day to apply topicals. I much rather just pop a pill and get on with my day

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also just kind of over having to worry about taking 30 min out of my day to apply topicals. I much rather just pop a pill and get on with my day
I wish you luck with oral minoxidil. I tried to make oral minoxidil work but my body didn’t want to allow it.