Any 5mg Oral Minoxidil Users Out There?

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just started 5mg daily oral minoxidil and wanted to see if anyone else is on the same and what your experiences have been like...

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on oral minoxidil 5mg for more than a year now.

Sides-wise, not much to report:
  • increased body hair: quite noticeable but I used not to have much so it's bearable. Mostly visible on my legs and my beard with an obvious density increase. A couple of hair strands appeared on my chest as well;
  • Heart-wise: nothing to report. No palpitation or tachycardia. My blood pressure has always been very low and it remained so.
I would say the outcome on my hair is far from what my tricho and I had expected - still shedding a lot (hairline kept receding), not so much density gained (NW2 - diffuse). He however claimed these were very unusual results and that he witnessed very positive results on other patients.

I don't think my experience is representative as we are still enquiring whether my hair loss is androgenic.

From what the tricho said, most people have very favourable results with this treatment - responsiveness to it is much greater than for topical (that's what he believes).

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on oral minoxidil 5mg for more than a year now.

Sides-wise, not much to report:
  • increased body hair: quite noticeable but I used not to have much so it's bearable. Mostly visible on my legs and my beard with an obvious density increase. A couple of hair strands appeared on my chest as well;
  • Heart-wise: nothing to report. No palpitation or tachycardia. My blood pressure has always been very low and it remained so.
I would say the outcome on my hair is far from what my tricho and I had expected - still shedding a lot (hairline kept receding), not so much density gained (NW2 - diffuse). He however claimed these were very unusual results and that he witnessed very positive results on other patients.

I don't think my experience is representative as we are still enquiring whether my hair loss is androgenic.

From what the tricho said, most people have very favourable results with this treatment - responsiveness to it is much greater than for topical (that's what he believes).

Thats very unlucky. Would you say your shedding more now than before you started minoxidil?

What else are you taking?

The heart side affects is my biggest concern. I have however been on finasteride 1.25mg for a year now and my dermatologist prescribed me oral minoxidil but at 2.5mg a day. Have been on that for 3 months with not much to report apart from slightly more body hair which is why im thinking to increase the dosage.

I had heard a lot of positive things about the possible regrowth you can get with oral minoxidil. Thats frustrating its not working for you i am quite surprised.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats very unlucky. Would you say your shedding more now than before you started minoxidil?

No, absolutely not. My hair has miniaturised since, but shedding pace remained roughly the same. I was on topical minoxidil 5% prior to oral, and it did not do anything either.

What else are you taking?

I used to dermaroll once a week (2mm) after an oily hair mask (castor & coconut oil). I was also taking several supplements and that's it.

I just started daily mazzarella dosage (0.10 mg) topical finasteride - 1.5 month in.

My dermatologist prescribed me oral minoxidil but at 2.5mg a day. Have been on that for 3 months with not much to report apart from slightly more body hair which is why im thinking to increase the dosage.

3 months is not much. It's the minimum delay for best responders I'd say (+ the increased body hair means the treatment is effective). Give it more time. You can, of course, increase the dosage but I would recommend sticking to 5mg and not going above.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on oral min since october 2018, the majority of that time it has been 10mg and as high as 20mg but i intend on cutting back to 5mg once i run out of 10mg pills. I have seen some improvement but for me it's no miracle worker, i think i may just have been a bad responder to it though as i have seen some great results. Like topical you should probably wait a year to see maximum results,as for an increase in body hair my leg and arm is very slightly hairier but nothing huge, i don't have any chest or back hair and oral min has not grown any on those areas. Another thing to note is that your hair will probably darken a bit, i had dark brown hair which is nearly black now

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on 5mg for a year now, first 6 months with finasteride and it worked so incredibly well I thought I'd try dropping the finasteride and seeing if I could maintain just with the minoxidil.So far so good.
Only sides are increased body hair.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on 5mg for a year now, first 6 months with finasteride and it worked so incredibly well I thought I'd try dropping the finasteride and seeing if I could maintain just with the minoxidil.So far so good.
Only sides are increased body hair.

How long have you been off finasteride for?

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, absolutely not. My hair has miniaturised since, but shedding pace remained roughly the same. I was on topical minoxidil 5% prior to oral, and it did not do anything either.

I used to dermaroll once a week (2mm) after an oily hair mask (castor & coconut oil). I was also taking several supplements and that's it.

I just started daily mazzarella dosage (0.10 mg) topical finasteride - 1.5 month in.

3 months is not much. It's the minimum delay for best responders I'd say (+ the increased body hair means the treatment is effective). Give it more time. You can, of course, increase the dosage but I would recommend sticking to 5mg and not going above.
Im currently on 2.5mg for the last 3 months but was going to increase to 5mg, 2.5mg in the morning and evening

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m on 5mg (2.5 twice a day) and it grew a lot of body hair on me as well. The sides of my hair tre towards my eye brows so that looks good cosmetically, but I’m telling you.. THIS WILL f*** YOUR EYES UP. I’m not a bad looking guy and I now look like a zombie. I have so much fluid retention around my eyes that they actually feel heavy all the time

goodluck

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 years no change. 5mg. No body hair increase, no heart sides, maybe a little eye puffiness.

Topical Finasteride 1.5 years.

maybe did some good first year. Overall loss of density with some recession from a dense Norwood.5

Might jump to 10mg.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2 years no change. 5mg. No body hair increase, no heart sides, maybe a little eye puffiness.

Topical Finasteride 1.5 years.

maybe did some good first year. Overall loss of density with some recession from a dense Norwood.5

Might jump to 10mg.
Mad that. 5mg and nothing at all. Did you see a dermatologist to find out why?

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m on 5mg (2.5 twice a day) and it grew a lot of body hair on me as well. The sides of my hair tre towards my eye brows so that looks good cosmetically, but I’m telling you.. THIS WILL f*** YOUR EYES UP. I’m not a bad looking guy and I now look like a zombie. I have so much fluid retention around my eyes that they actually feel heavy all the time

goodluck
After how long did exp hair growth,?

Reaction score
I gave up on oral min as it made my eyes very puffy and also caused dark circles around my eyes. However much hair it would have grown me, there's no point taking it if its going to make me look like a raccoon.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I gave up on oral min as it made my eyes very puffy and also caused dark circles around my eyes. However much hair it would have grown me, there's no point taking it if its going to make me look like a raccoon.
What dosage were you on and for how long?

trhorn

Reaction score
Pretty bad diffuse thinner here. Since March 2019 I was taking 5mg every second day and have now increased it to once per day since Jan 2020. I've never had any sides and had regular review of blood pressure throughout the year. I can't say I've had much/any regrowth but the overall quality of my hair has definitely improved and seems thicker/darker in general.

I'm going through a shed at the moment and was wondering if this might be related to the increase in dosage? I was also wondering how long you have to be on this stuff before you'd expect to see maximum results. I'm probably going to give it another 6+ months before making a complete judgement but at this stage I'm going to say I don't really respond to it though won't discontinue use as it's one pill in the morning and on with my day. I purchase mine from alldaychemist.