American Indian, Rain forest people, DHT blocker diet?

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I asked persmission from the author if I can make his content public. He said I cannot because it belongs to the publisher. So he told me the parts from the book that I'm allowed to make public or post.

No I'm not employed by him. I;m just expounding from those content which is also found in the publisher's website.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
idontwanttobebalding said:
...looks like infected blankets are not the only things we gave the American Indians.

I heard recently that that's just a myth about the blankets.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
interesting.....in what context were you speaking of the smallpox blankets?

I wasn't speaking about it. I saw it on a TV program in which people were having a discussion of various political issues, and one of them (maybe even more than just one) mentioned that it's a false idea that a lot of people have about the "smallpox blankets". He (or they) said it never happened.

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand but which are his probes? Where are the genetics parameters?
There has been no explanation why the American Indian does not have genetic balding, making him unique amongst all men

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Forget the American Indians for a while because, maybe they don't have a bald gene. Look to genuine hunter-gatherers with balding tendencies.

We see quite a large portion with receded hair line but it's only the old folks who develop advanced baldness and not many of them.

What makes them less prone to baldness? Among the young, what keeps those hairlines from progressing?

Diet? Lifestyle? Behavior? Environment?

The other half of the question is: What makes men more prone to baldness in modern societies?

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
UunoTurhapuro said:
freakout, and the answers to your questions can be found in the book published by Mercado? :jackit:
Mercado's views are compelling but still theoretical from my point of view which is why I'm trying to elicit some answers from forumers who might have some views on the matter.

Hunter-gatherers' way of life represent human evolutionary adaptation. If we introduce something different, it will affect us in ways that can have consequences - a trade off for a safer and supposedly more comfortable life, he says. The truth is the stress levels in modern life are way higher than primitive lifestyles.

He points to schools and offices which seems logical because hunter-gathrers never spent time in these places. He then continues to explain how certain situations and behaviors affect male physiology as opposed to female physiology. Hormones play a huge role on physiology. Our physiology on the other hand has abilities to adapt to conforme to these situcations. These adaptations can have side-effects.

It can be argued that more men aren't affected by these environments. In reality, it affects other men in other ways if it's not male pattern baldness. For example, men are more prone to CVDs than women in industrilized areas. At least three types of CVDs are associated with male pattern baldness.

His explanation on how hair loss patterns develop is very compelling too.

His methods are very diffucult, challenging. But still, I'm planning to put his methods on top of a Rogaine treatment.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Like I said before, diet has nothing to do with it. My full-blood native american friends all eat horribly and drink a lot of alcohol and they still have full heads of hair. Hell, a couple of them even take steroids.

I wish the bit of Native American in me went to my hair genetics. I may have an Indian card but i look more General Custer than I do from any tribe :p

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
idontwanttobalding, I'm not arguing with you. I said forget it for a while for the "satisfaction" of the those who believe genes play a heavy role on male pattern baldness. :woot:

Maybe I should have opened a new thread for UunoTurhapuro question which had nothing to do with this thread.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
To me, investigating those who are both prone to certain conditions yet do not express them similarly can produce compelling evidence!

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And yes, I agree with Thom that diet has nothing to do with male pattern baldness. If it does, it's very indirect and negligible.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you look to the so-called AR gene, some men with the gene went bald some did not bald even with the AR gene. There are those who went bald without the gene.

Sure they can point to other 'bald' genes but I subscribe to epigenetics. It's says the environment drives your genes or that gene expression is contigeous with your environment. Most of us see the environment as a simple thing as looking around but it really is a very complex contributor.

Well, diet does form part of your environment but there is little epidemiological study that points to diet.

That mouse study discredits male hormones all together so the 'DHT blocker diet" does not really mean much.

What's left in the equation? Nothing causes male pattern baldness!! :woot:

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry dummy. Would you like me to give you lessons on biology for dummies again on your thread?

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"There has been no explanation why the American Indian does not have genetic balding, making him unique amongst all men (except those born with genetic defects in the DHT making enzyme or those who eat large amounts of DHT blockers in their diets, a group of primative people from the Central American rain forest)."

I didn't write this....but as I read it...
you don't bald if you don't have the genes or if your genes are messed up in a certain way or if you eat certain foods. :dunno:

I think comparing the American Indians (AIs) with other hunter-gatherers with balding tendencies could provide some good insights because identifying the differences between primitive and modern cultures could be insurmountable in terms of lifestyle and diet. The differences between two primitive societies, however, would be far less.