Am I Going Bald At 19 Or Is It A Mature Hairline?

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know how this bullshit of "mature hairline" persists.

There is no such thing.

It's called NW2. Some guys are fortunate enough that they never get much worse than that.

Most aren't so lucky, though. Some guys hit NW4 and never get worse. So they must just have a really mature hairline and not male pattern baldness, right? :rolleyes:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know how this bullshit of "mature hairline" persists.

There is no such thing.

It's called NW2. Some guys are fortunate enough that they never get much worse than that.

Most aren't so lucky, though. Some guys hit NW4 and never get worse. So they must just have a really mature hairline and not male pattern baldness, right? :rolleyes:
matute hairline is nw1

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
matute hairline is nw1

No, it isn't.

NW1 is no hairloss. The charts always go from 2 - 7 for this very reason.

norwood.gif

If you have any recession, no matter how little, you do have male pattern baldness.

Some, perhaps even many, men don't go much beyond NW2. This is where the myth of "oh, I don't have male pattern baldness I just have a 'mature hairline'" comes from.

Nope. You have baldness; just that bad. Not yet, anyway.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, it isn't.

NW1 is no hairloss. The charts always go from 2 - 7 for this very reason.

View attachment 74656

If you have any recession, no matter how little, you do have male pattern baldness.

Some, perhaps even many, men don't go much beyond NW2. This is where the myth of "oh, I don't have male pattern baldness I just have a 'mature hairline'" comes from.

Nope. You have baldness; just that bad. Not yet, anyway.
If uou are on norwood scale , it mean you did have hair loss . No norwood is a not hair loss person . Cause Norwood is a scale to meassure hairloss .

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If uou are on norwood scale , it mean you did have hair loss . No norwood is a not hair loss person . Cause Norwood is a scale to meassure hairloss .

My god.

The maps generally only chart 2 - 7, and these stages all have hairloss.

Now, I want you to consider...why would 1 be excluded from the chart?

Because by process of elimination, 1 would be fullhead and thus pointless to put on the chart.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Like I said before, the word "mature" is just used to describe a condition that is not juvenile. Many men can retain a juvenile hairline and still go bald diffusely. I think almost everyone will experience senile alopecia when they reach above 60. Ronald Regan may have been an except to the rule. If you keep losing your hair or receding in an advanced pattern, we can all agree its called alopecia. NW1 to NW2 is still viewed as a normal head of hair. Density definitely plays in big role too.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 73984 View attachment 73985 Starting to get very concerned about my hairline just want an honest opinion on what you think is happening to my hair and what I could do to reverse it. In the pics I pulled my hair to the side and this is what I see

When I first joined HairLossTalk.com, I posted pictures of my hair asking the same question since my hairline was receeding similar to yours. It started with the temple points receeding, then at the front, it was thinning like it is in your pictures, and finally now with some thinning on top at the forelock.

People thought I was crazy and told me it was just a mature hairline. How it will receed then stop.

This was in 2009. I was 23 at the time.

I am now 32, since then my hairline has receeded further and I have frontal thinning. With that said, my hairloss is very slow, I am a NW2 and with the right hair style people cannot tell that I am losing my hair. With a bad hairstyle however, one where my temples are really visibly showing, people have made comments that I am going bald. It is sh*t though because what this now means is that I have to go to high end hair dressers to make sure my hair is cut right.

My advise to you would be to start treating it now. Try Zix, if that does not work then topical finasteride.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
When I first joined HairLossTalk.com, I posted pictures of my hair asking the same question since my hairline was receeding similar to yours. People thought I was crazy and told me it was just a mature hairline. How it will receed then stop.

This was in 2009. I was 23 at the time.

I am now 32, since then my hairline has receeded further and I have frontal thinning. With that said, my hairloss is very slow, I am a NW2 and with the right hair style people cannot tell that I am losing my hair. With a bad hairstyle however, one where my temples are really visibly showing, people have made comments that I am going bald.

My advise to you would be to start treating it now. Try Zix, if that does not work then topical finasteride.
Yeah, I remember those days when you posted all those photos. Most people just said you had BDD.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember those days when you posted all those photos. Most people just said you had BDD.

I think I read somewhere that if you think you are going bald, chances are that you are. There is truth in it.
Only difference between bald people is where some people go aggressively bald, others lose it slowly over years - similar to a slow death.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
My god.

The maps generally only chart 2 - 7, and these stages all have hairloss.

Now, I want you to consider...why would 1 be excluded from the chart?

Because by process of elimination, 1 would be fullhead and thus pointless to put on the chart.

Exclude it by who ? Simple check nowrwood scale on google images.

Do you understand that , as there are scales for cancer, acne, etc, if you are in that scale it mean you have the disease ? For that reason are the scales.

This is a norwood 1 . If you see photos of him in his 20s, his mature hairline was not that. He cleary have male pattern baldness. That can advance faster or slower. But if he do nothing, in 10 years, he will not look like that, he will recede even more.

Johnny_Depp_hairline.jpg

And this is no hairloss :
039_25715.jpg

Last edited:

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exclude it by who ? Simple check nowrwood scale on google images.

Do you understand that , as there are scales for cancer, acne, etc, if you are in that scale it mean you have the disease ? For that reason are the scales.

This is a norwood 1 . If you see photos of him in his 20s, his mature hairline was not that. He cleary have male pattern baldness. That can advance faster or slower. But if he do nothing, in 10 years, he will not look like that, he will recede even more.

View attachment 74937

My hair is exactly like his now, with better temple points.

You can see that the density at the front is thinner than at the back/vertex area. Still at his age, he has amazing hair. I am 32.

And this is no hairloss :
View attachment 74938