Alternative To Doing A Template? (seven Words)

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd settle for just getting the first one done, Matt. I tried again today. I don't understand how they can use it to get an exact shape of your head, when there are tape ripples, for one thing. It's such a ridiculous way of measuring, and I think the hair piece companies are fortunate they're in an industry where their customers have an unparalleled amount of desperation and are willing to do this crap.

Mine fits perfect. The lace at least is very forgiving so you're not looking for exact perfection here. Even if its a bit off you can stretch or cut the excess lace. I think its going to always be a little sloppy doing it yourself vs someone else doing it for you. I'm sure practice makes perfect.

ChrisPratty

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd settle for just getting the first one done, Matt. I tried again today. I don't understand how they can use it to get an exact shape of your head, when there are tape ripples, for one thing. It's such a ridiculous way of measuring, and I think the hair piece companies are fortunate they're in an industry where their customers have an unparalleled amount of desperation and are willing to do this crap.
This is so true! It is actually really complex. her, do you have a buddy or wife to help you with that? That really helps

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sadly not. I feel enough of a tool doing it myself, without asking someone to help me. At least my insanity can be private this way. Using my stylist was fine, as he sorts hair pieces for other people. Doesn't use the ridiculous cling film technique though.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sadly not. I feel enough of a tool doing it myself, without asking someone to help me. At least my insanity can be private this way. Using my stylist was fine, as he sorts hair pieces for other people. Doesn't use the ridiculous cling film technique though.

I don't think it's as big a deal as you think. In the grand scheme of things, you don't like your hair loss and are doing something about it . There's nothing weak or insane about it .I'd rather do this than be bald and wish why I didn't have the balls to just do what I wanted anyways .

Long story short, if you want something, go get it . Will it be tough? Yeah everything worth attaining is.

Stay calm dude you'll get through it! The end result is worth it .

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers, Matt.

Can anyone answer a question about the template. Is the template about the inner part of it, and getting a mold of your head, or is the outer part of it just as important? I ask that because I find it impossible to get the tape on it without there being several ripples or imperfection. If the outer part isn't too important then I'll be fine and can finally get it done. Honestly must have attempted it twenty times by now.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guess nobody knows?

I'm almost certain that it's not important. The top part of the mold that is .the inside measurement is the really what is the shape of your head .

I'd wait till Noah replies or someone else more knowledgeable as I'm not 100% certain

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again, Matt. You'd think it'd be made clear, but as usual with the whole hair piece thing, the answer involves a trek to a mountain top in the Himalayas.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again, Matt. You'd think it'd be made clear, but as usual with the whole hair piece thing, the answer involves a trek to a mountain top in the Himalayas.

Lol I get it man. Thats why I was hesitant to answer you . Don't wanna give out false info.

Ive never done my own tbh but I've seen the salons template of my head and it was like how u described. Makes sense as well if u think about it but hey I could b wrong

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked on another forum and they say the outer is just as important. I thought it would be, just to make the template as difficult as possible.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked on another forum and they say the outer is just as important. I thought it would be, just to make the template as difficult as possible.

Did they say why? I find it hard to believe lol how can you ever get that smooth when you have the layers of tape?

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just as important to get the outer shape of one's head, apparently. So I guess the assumption by the companies is that a normal human head has several tape-like ripples in it?

Noah

Reaction score
It's the inner bit, JC. They make a 3D half-head from your template, and they make the base on that. But Matt is also right, it doesn't have to be accurate to the last millimetre, because the base materials are quite stretchy. It just has to indicate the curve of your head and the size and approximate shape of the area to be covered. It's better for it to be tight than loose though, to get a unit with a nice snug fit.

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, Noah.

I hear what you're saying, but my last template wasn't ''perfect'', and provided a piece that was a horrible fit, regardless of how stretchy the lace is. So I'm not especially confident about the template being anything other than as perfect as possible.

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's it, I'm done with this template b*llox. Another four attempts today. Today's issues included the wrap not staying tied under chin, then when I sorted that, the wrap lifting after the tape was applied for some reason.

I think the only option left is to supply measurements and pray that works out. If not, I'll take it as a sign from God that he doesn't want me to waste another second of my life with this ridiculous nonsense. Cling film wrapped around the head, Jesus wept :rolleyes:

Noah

Reaction score
Honestly, if you are having this much difficulty with the template, you will have the same difficulty with the system itself, and that will be worse, because you can't afford to chuck it and start again. This is nature's way of telling you to buy a nice hat.

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's more natures way of telling me to do what every single person posting on this site should do, which is accept we've lost hair and not pursue such ridiculous and stressful and expensive means of hiding the fact. But sadly it's not as simple as that.

I don't appreciate the ''nice hat'' remark either, mate. You obviously found the template a breeze, good for you, and anyone else that did, and I mean that, as it's a huge pain. But I'm 100% certain I'm one of many guys that are having a lot of difficulty with step one of the process, and I don't think it helps those people when others make out the template is a piece of p*ss.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's more natures way of telling me to do what every single person posting on this site should do, which is accept we've lost hair and not pursue such ridiculous and stressful and expensive means of hiding the fact. But sadly it's not as simple as that.

I don't appreciate the ''nice hat'' remark either, mate. You obviously found the template a breeze, good for you, and anyone else that did, and I mean that, as it's a huge pain. But I'm 100% certain I'm one of many guys that are having a lot of difficulty with step one of the process, and I don't think it helps those people when others make out the template is a piece of p*ss.

Just go to a salon mate. They'll make you one, sometimes for free lol . Why can't you go to a salon again?

Noah

Reaction score
Sorry about the flippant remark. I agree with Matt though. You have invested so much trouble already, you owe it to yourself to get past this and give the process a try.

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's fine. I invite flippant responses when I'm posting online. This is the only safe place I can let out my hair piece frustrations.

I've tried looking for someone that will do it for me. The people that know about hairpieces are only willing to do it for a potential customer. People that don't know about hairpieces will no doubt fair little better than myself.