All-lace Vs Lace/poly Hybrid -- What Are The Advantages?

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am ordering a new piece from Northwest Lace, my first from them, and I am trying to decide between an all french lace unit and hybrid with lace in the front / middle and poly on the back/sides.

The big reasons I am switching from my normal UTS is for breathability when exercising and no plastic bag noise from a poor bond. I would also like to see if tape is a possibility for my skin, which doesn't like acrylic glue.

My main question is: what would be the advantage of this hybrid type unit over the standard french lace all the way throughout?

Noah

Reaction score
The advantage is the clean-up. Poly is significantly easier to clean than lace, because it is a shiny impermeable surface, and you can rip old tape off it and give it a good scrub. It's the difference between cleaning a kitchen work surface and cleaning a sheet of canvas. Also, you can be fairly vigorous with poly, because it is relatively tough. With lace you always have to be quite careful, because if you are too vigorous you can end up stretching the lace mesh, which will cause wrinkles.

The disadvantage is that the poly is usually a bit detectable to the touch, especially with tape under it. I creates a perceptible bump, which someone running their fingers through your hair could feel.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just did a service on a client with a lace/ploy surround. The tape really really loves the poly... and cleanup is not as easy as I thought. I would say it's a tossup, and it's just as hard to get the glue residue off the poly, as it is the lace.

However, I will say... that for application, the tape sticks to the poly like the dickens, and my client says he gets a better bond.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do the poly back and sides with Lace for the majority.

It's so much easier to clean up and you don't need a full head bond. In reality you shouldn't do a full head bond with lace because of the tidy up.

I do agree to a large extent with the sentiment that tape is hard to remove from the poly most times. Sometimes it's hard to even see. This is far easier if you use fewer tape pieces but personally I use walkers minis

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am wearing a hybrid just like you described - Lace in the front and down the middle - and poly on the perimeter. Here is my opinion on it all.

All Poly: 1). I don't like that plastic bag sound. 2) I never felt water hit my scalp - and this bothered me more than anything.

All Lace: 1) In the hot North Texas heat - regardless if I'm wearing a hat or not - the bond breaks down incredibly fast and it would seep through lace into the hair - and cleaning is major issue. 2). I wanted to use tape on the perimeter from temple to temple, but tape is hard on a lace system for the reason stated above.

What the hybrid - I can use Davlyn Green adhesive in the front - and a combination of tape and bond on the perimeter. The top of my system is not secured. My hair is firmly attached - the tape/adhesive combo is super strong so I don't have lifting issues, etc. I don't have seepage on that part of my head - and in the instances where it does break down - cleanup is pretty easy. With no bond on top - I get breathability - I feel the water when I shower (which I like), and for the lace portion - I can easily maintain that before it ever becomes an issue. Yes, I do get a slight plastic bag sound - but it is very minimal since the tape is what, 1.5 inches in width -

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed on the plastic bag sounds. I've never worn a full poly one but I do get that sounds depending on how well attached. My system is (basically if it's done badly).

Seepage with lace really can't be understated how problematic it is. I had it on a full Swiss lace unit and it was a problem to clean. You just end up resorting to rougher cleaning methods.

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I decided to get full lace from Eric at Northwest. It came today, and it looks good. Need to figure out how to cut down to template size (my original template is with my salon) and find a cut-in provider, but im excited!

My understanding is that full glue is not the way to go with french lace. Does anyone have specific recommendations for tape? I have pretty sensitive skin.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was going to make a post on the subject of hybrid pieces, which, prior to the pandemic, I loved - but not am unhappy with.

I've had a full poly piece & disliked it tremendously - it was non-UTS, unbreathable & ridiculous.

My last two pieces, which have been my most rugged & abused by far (with no noticeable damage over the course of months), have been French lace w/ full poly perimeter.

I liked these pieces when I used tape, but since the pandemic, I've been only using Got2B Black for my bonding.

Lace takes Got2B amazingly well. The center of my pieces stick to that gel amazingly well for a daily bond (although I could absolutely go longer). The gel does not adhere well to the poly perimeter portions of my pieces, tho.

Nor does Ghostbond. The lace center clings to that glue in an amazing way but the poly lifts fast.

The biggest trouble w/ hybrid is the hair doesn't all flow the same way. You have hair knotted into the lace & you have hair v-looped or injected into the poly. It all flow harmoniously.

Poly perimeter - or poly sides & back - is amazing for tape use. Removal is a sinch & doesn't result in any hairs flipping & being pulled thru the base.

Beyond that, I hate poly. I'm not into tape anymore, preferring white glue or, even better, Got2B &, as @BaldBearded, it's hard to get glue off of poly. I think it's harder than getting it out of lace.

Lace is so much more comfortable & natural looking, and it affords you the ability to pluck your hairline for a natural aesthetic. I don't know if my units have v loops or injected hairs, but if I pluck them, their roots remain in the poly.

You also can't bleach knots on poly portions...

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
with the poly surround, if you don't bond the central lace part, doesn't that part feel 'loose' and does it itch as the lace rubs against your scalp?

I can definitely see the benefit of lace but for me the overall hug of UTS, it's solid bond and the very easy clean-up is a clear winner.

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was going to make a post on the subject of hybrid pieces, which, prior to the pandemic, I loved - but not am unhappy with.

I've had a full poly piece & disliked it tremendously - it was non-UTS, unbreathable & ridiculous.

My last two pieces, which have been my most rugged & abused by far (with no noticeable damage over the course of months), have been French lace w/ full poly perimeter.

I liked these pieces when I used tape, but since the pandemic, I've been only using Got2B Black for my bonding.

Lace takes Got2B amazingly well. The center of my pieces stick to that gel amazingly well for a daily bond (although I could absolutely go longer). The gel does not adhere well to the poly perimeter portions of my pieces, tho.

Nor does Ghostbond. The lace center clings to that glue in an amazing way but the poly lifts fast.

The biggest trouble w/ hybrid is the hair doesn't all flow the same way. You have hair knotted into the lace & you have hair v-looped or injected into the poly. It all flow harmoniously.

Poly perimeter - or poly sides & back - is amazing for tape use. Removal is a sinch & doesn't result in any hairs flipping & being pulled thru the base.

Beyond that, I hate poly. I'm not into tape anymore, preferring white glue or, even better, Got2B &, as @BaldBearded, it's hard to get glue off of poly. I think it's harder than getting it out of lace.

Lace is so much more comfortable & natural looking, and it affords you the ability to pluck your hairline for a natural aesthetic. I don't know if my units have v loops or injected hairs, but if I pluck them, their roots remain in the poly.

You also can't bleach knots on poly portions...

interesting. I have had excellent success with clear bond on poly but I have also had at best, inconsistent results with ghost bond and Got2B. I do find poly pretty easy to clean, but not sure how it is relative to lace as I haven’t tried it yet. It’s interesting that you say lace is easier to clean glue off of, it seems like that’s going against the grain of what most people say. If it is easier, it seems like lace would be a no-brainer....

with poly I find that my glue shifts from the center of the piece to the edges without any breathability/anywhere else to go, and causes some itching. So when I would clean it, a lot of the time the glue would be all on the perimeter,
Making it easier to clean the piece.

If a full glue bond with lace is doable with ghost bond I think that would be my preference. I’m conscious of the health risks with tape / clear bond and I find ghost bond to be incredibly easy to work with. Why do so many people advise against using a full bond with lace?

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not at all for me. In fact I prefer it minimally bonded because it's less adhesive, and my scalp can breathe better.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Resurrecting an older thread, but didn’t want to start a new one.

I am quite confused with all lace vs hybrid. I had an all poly unit at first.... absolutely hated it. I don’t even see how anyone could like them!

Current unit is poly sides and back and the rest is lace. This is so much better, however the clean up is still not what I want. I love how I can spray some 99% alcohol in the front where the lace is (I use all tape for the unit) and I can pull the hairpiece up and the tape is left on my head and there is nothing on the unit. Obviously this doesn’t happen on the poly parts and it’s such a pain to have to peel the tape off the poly.

Wouldn’t it be such a breeze to have all lace with tape and spray your whole head with alcohol, lift up, clean the tape off your scalp and your unit is virtually clean?! I have already ordered another unit that is going to be all lace so I haven’t tried yet. Is it not as simple as I’m thinking it’s going to be?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score

I am quite confused with all lace vs hybrid. I had an all poly unit at first.... absolutely hated it. I don’t even see how anyone could like them!

Current unit is poly sides and back and the rest is lace. This is so much better, however the clean up is still not what I want. I love how I can spray some 99% alcohol in the front where the lace is (I use all tape for the unit) and I can pull the hairpiece up and the tape is left on my head and there is nothing on the unit. Obviously this doesn’t happen on the poly parts and it’s such a pain to have to peel the tape off the poly.

Wouldn’t it be such a breeze to have all lace with tape and spray your whole head with alcohol, lift up, clean the tape off your scalp and your unit is virtually clean?! I have already ordered another unit that is going to be all lace so I haven’t tried yet. Is it not as simple as I’m thinking it’s going to be?

Yes, but it's easy - and non-destructive - to remove tape from poly sides.

I used to do poly sides on french. I liked it.

I like full lace better though ;)

Soren123

My Regimen
Reaction score

Doesn't alcohol damage hair so you still jave to be selective? Like spray along the perimeter close to the base of the hair follicles?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
with the poly surround, if you don't bond the central lace part, doesn't that part feel 'loose' and does it itch as the lace rubs against your scalp?

I can definitely see the benefit of lace but for me the overall hug of UTS, it's solid bond and the very easy clean-up is a clear winner.

No, it doesn't if attached properly.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't alcohol damage hair so you still jave to be selective? Like spray along the perimeter close to the base of the hair follicles?
No... in the amounts you are using, it just evaporates. Gels and hair sprays that contain large amounts of alcohol will dry out the hair because they coat the hair, and sit on it for long periods of time.

There are no "hair follicles" on a hair system... hair follicles are in your scalp, it is where the hair grows from.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does the full lace still breathe better than the hybrid?

Or are they the same, as the tape section unless it's Walker Extenda Bond with the holes in.
Otherwise tape all around the perimeter on lace I guess is the same breathability as a poly perimeter?

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The advantage is the clean-up. Poly is significantly easier to clean than lace, because it is a shiny impermeable surface, and you can rip old tape off it and give it a good scrub. It's the difference between cleaning a kitchen work surface and cleaning a sheet of canvas. Also, you can be fairly vigorous with poly, because it is relatively tough. With lace you always have to be quite careful, because if you are too vigorous you can end up stretching the lace mesh, which will cause wrinkles.

The disadvantage is that the poly is usually a bit detectable to the touch, especially with tape under it. I creates a perceptible bump, which someone running their fingers through your hair could feel.
No it aint.
Poly takes ages to clean.
Lace you can just spray lace release through the hair and wait a few mins and peel it off your head.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
No it aint.
Lace you can just spray lace release through the hair and wait a few mins and peel it off your head.
Poly, even at the UTS level, is so much easier to clean than Lace...

.06mm is pretty hard to tear. Anything above, you'd have to try

Noah

Reaction score
No it aint.

Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes. This thread is about a system which is lace front and centre, but with a poly rim at the back and sides. In that design of unit the poly is usually pretty heavy-duty, because it has been added to the unit specifically as a robust surface for attaching tape to. We are not talking about thinskin.