Advice Needed From Those Who Use Tape For Bonding.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, but it has to work. Only downside is your scalp is going to be very greasy and need to be degreased substantially with alcohol to apply the system. I think I may take my own advice and start using it though.
I cant use alcohol, is there any other option when using the olive oil? The ultra safe is alchohol free but I dont want any chemicals in it. Dave at pro labs said technically soap and water would remove the ghost bond. But he recommends the ultra safe. Will shampoo remove the olive oil?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I cant use alcohol, is there any other option when using the olive oil? The ultra safe is alchohol free but I dont want any chemicals in it. Dave at pro labs said technically soap and water would remove the ghost bond. But he recommends the ultra safe. Will shampoo remove the olive oil?
My mistake, I'm still focused on acrylic. Yes, Soap and water will remove white bonds.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I always get some glue inside my bio hair as well and the only adhesive remover that remover the glue from the bio hair without pulling it out from my scalp is Protouch's CleanSkin Scalp. The other stuff just flows away and doesn't work good enough on those exact very certain spots I want them to act on. As I dere only once a month I think I can handle the toxicity of it.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always get some glue inside my bio hair as well and the only adhesive remover that remover the glue from the bio hair without pulling it out from my scalp is Protouch's CleanSkin Scalp. The other stuff just flows away and doesn't work good enough on those exact very certain spots I want them to act on. As I dere only once a month I think I can handle the toxicity of it.
I wish I could redo once a month. I'm every 7 to 10 days.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just came across this statement on the Walker tape company website.

As I had suspected, it appears that acrylic Tape is safer than acrylic liquid Bond. This is because much of the harmful chemicals have flashed off/evaporated in the manufacturing drying process.

Burned off refers to their heating/drying process.

When we apply liquid to our scalp, as it is attempting to flash off... it is still being absorbed by our skin at the same time.... with our skin being able to absorb more than half of the concentration in less than 30 seconds it's a fair assumption that most of it makes its way into our bloodstream before it flashes/evaporates off fully.

It also clearly shows they're stating that there are hazardous elements/chemicals in acrylic adhesives.....
Does this flash off apply to all tapes or just walker?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does this flash off apply to all tapes or just walker?
All adhesives flash off. That's the equivalent of drying... on a tape it dries on to the plastic substrate with a liquid it dries when it's on your scalp

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All adhesives flash off. That's the equivalent of drying... on a tape it dries on to the plastic substrate with a liquid it dries when it's on your scalp
So it sounds like any tape is safer than liquid

nathan32

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it possible to summarise what we’ve learned in this thread as follows?:

1. No glue or tape is risk free;
2. Water-based glue (Ghostbond) is safest;
3. Tapes are less safe due to to the fact that all contain acrylic and manufacturers aren’t required to produce a medical data sheet

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it possible to summarise what we’ve learned in this thread as follows?:

1. No glue or tape is risk free;
2. Water-based glue (Ghostbond) is safest;
3. Tapes are less safe due to to the fact that all contain acrylic and manufacturers aren’t required to produce a medical data sheet
In my opinion, acrylic liquid adhesive present more risks than acrylic tape.... if only for the simple fact they contain more chemical ingredients.

Also, they are not "Medical safety sheets" they're material safety data. They're required as they speak to priper storage, flammability, enviromental toxicity, KNOWN human toxicity, and how to handle the chemical if exposed to it...via eyes, lungs, skin etc...

They are by no means documentation that they've been tested or cleared. They simply report what the manufacturer believes to be true of each individual ingredient.

Adhesives are treated like cosmetics, and are not even regulated by the FDA.

I use them as example since they are the only information regarding specific product ingredients available.

By no means are they "study reports, or proof" that they are safe when used as intended.

I always refer to the statement on all adhesive msds.... If the product comes in contact with your skin immediately remove clothing and wash off product.

That's an awfully strange statement to put on something that's intended to be applied to the scalp for weeks on end.

Last edited:

nathan32

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion, acrylic liquid adhesive has more risks than acrylic tape.
Quite possibly due to the surface area, but without the data (and a user friendly assessment of that data) it’s tough for a layperson like myself to make an informed judgment.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quite possibly due to the surface area, but without the data (and a user friendly assessment of that data) it’s tough for a layperson like myself to make an informed judgment.
My opinion is not based on the surface area. There are more chemicals in liquid adhesive than tape.... plus it is much more difficult absorb a solid versus a liquid.

The best you can do is look up each ingredient and read the studies and human effects of each respective chemical.

These chemicals aren't unique to hair adhesives they're used in industrial solvents... and have been for a very long time.

nathan32

My Regimen
Reaction score
My opinion is not based on the surface area. There are more chemicals in liquid adhesive than tape.... plus it is much more difficult absorb a solid versus a liquid.

The best you can do is look up each ingredient and read the studies and human effects of each respective chemical.

These chemicals aren't unique to hair adhesives they're used in industrial solvents... and have been for a very long time.
I did a cursory check on Amazon UK and there do seem to be some adhesive tape manufacturers who refer to certain standards (quote below lifted from a product listing):

"the adhesive used has been tested for cytotoxicity and In Vitro Cytotoxicity based on the requirements of International Organization for Standardization (ISO 10993-5) Biological Evaluation of Medical Devices and for Primary Skin irritation (ISO 10993-10) and found to show no evidence of causing cell lysis or toxicity. HBG tape is Hypoallergenic The use of the term "hypoallergenic" has come to indicate a product which is non-sensitizing to the general public. The hypoallergenic claim for this product is supported by clinical evaluation using the repeated insult patch test in humans, commonly known as the Draize test. This protocol involves repeated application of samples on 200 healthy volunteers for a 2- to 3-week induction period, followed by a 2-week rest period and a challenge application. To be termed hypoallergenic, products are required to show no evidence of sensitization potential under these test conditions".

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did a cursory check on Amazon UK and there do seem to be some adhesive tape manufacturers who refer to certain standards (quote below lifted from a product listing):

"the adhesive used has been tested for cytotoxicity and In Vitro Cytotoxicity based on the requirements of International Organization for Standardization (ISO 10993-5) Biological Evaluation of Medical Devices and for Primary Skin irritation (ISO 10993-10) and found to show no evidence of causing cell lysis or toxicity. HBG tape is Hypoallergenic The use of the term "hypoallergenic" has come to indicate a product which is non-sensitizing to the general public. The hypoallergenic claim for this product is supported by clinical evaluation using the repeated insult patch test in humans, commonly known as the Draize test. This protocol involves repeated application of samples on 200 healthy volunteers for a 2- to 3-week induction period, followed by a 2-week rest period and a challenge application. To be termed hypoallergenic, products are required to show no evidence of sensitization potential under these test conditions".
I'm sure Fanjeera can attest to this. A 200-person 3-week study is meaningless. Also they're checking for skin irritation and toxicity whichis basically acute skin irritation aka a rash. That really shouldn't be your concern,if you have a reaction/rash you discontinue use....No long term harm....The concern should be long-term risks regarding systemic cancer years down the road.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sure Fanjeera can attest to this. A 200-person 3-week study is meaningless. Also they're checking for skin irritation and toxicity whichis basically acute skin irritation aka a rash. That really shouldn't be your concern,if you have a reaction/rash you discontinue use....No long term harm....The concern should be long-term risks regarding systemic cancer years down the road.
Yeah, 2 weeks is nothing...

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, 2 weeks is nothing...
Sorry 3 weeks, how could you tell anything other than acute observation from this time frame considering people wear hair for years and years, this sounds like a sad attempt to make a product sound safe

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry 3 weeks, how could you tell anything other than acute observation from this time frame considering people wear hair for years and years, this sounds like a sad attempt to make a product sound safe
It's just to show that it's not a common or major allergen.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
We are not talking about allergy here, but that is the only answer the producers and sellers have for you automatically, when you ask about toxicity. It's difficult finding the correct term to use.