Advanced Nws: How Much Flak Do You Get From Coworkers?

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And in general what type of work is it? Even if they don't specifically mention your baldness. Interested to hear what people's experiences with this are

Kebawo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Used to work as a paramedic but i'm going back to University in September, I would constantly get 'playfully' insulted about my bald head even though I was taller than most of them and got a lot more girls than them it just seemed like being bald was the lowest of the low, really annoys me how people with a full head of hair just tell you to deal with it as they haven't been through any of this sh*t.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
My boss is bald, like Norwood 7 +. He can spot the beginning of a bald spot like an eagle can see a mouse from 1000 feet in the air. He made it a point to mention my bald spot (thin spot) in many situations where all my co-workers were in the room...JUST to make me feel as miserable as him. Most other people point and laugh and MAKE IT A POINT to get other people's attention, then tell them that they spotted my bald spot. Then invite them to come look...(Later the King of FULL HEADS gives them a gold coin)...

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have this guy at work nw0, perfect hair that is often trying to put on me on blast for my hair. For no reason, he will just bring it up. He even makes comments like I'd kill myself if I were losing my hair...out of no where. I say he has a self esteem issue. It's really weird.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nobody mentions it, i even work around kids and none of them say anything about it. i think they all just feel bad like making fun of a disabled person

blackg

Reaction score
I have this guy at work nw0, perfect hair that is often trying to put on me on blast for my hair. For no reason, he will just bring it up. He even makes comments like I'd kill myself if I were losing my hair...out of no where. I say he has a self esteem issue. It's really weird.
This guy seriously has some issues. I predict some full on self loathing for this guy in the future as he ages.

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Used to work as a paramedic but i'm going back to University in September, I would constantly get 'playfully' insulted about my bald head even though I was taller than most of them and got a lot more girls than them it just seemed like being bald was the lowest of the low, really annoys me how people with a full head of hair just tell you to deal with it as they haven't been through any of this sh*t.
i f*****g hate people. it's 'only the strong survive' motto. when people see some weakness in you, they will try to leverage that to gain status over you. f*****g society mechanics.

My boss is bald, like Norwood 7 +. He can spot the beginning of a bald spot like an eagle can see a mouse from 1000 feet in the air. He made it a point to mention my bald spot (thin spot) in many situations where all my co-workers were in the room...JUST to make me feel as miserable as him. Most other people point and laugh and MAKE IT A POINT to get other people's attention, then tell them that they spotted my bald spot. Then invite them to come look...(Later the King of FULL HEADS gives them a gold coin)...
i guess all of us who bald, can instantly spot hair loss on a person, but that's huge b**ch move. dude just wanted to boost his ego by dragging you into sea of bald misery. dickhead.

basically, ive had this model tier guy at job. we were cool when hanging around with 1-2 other guys on lunch breaks and such. but whenever females joined the company, he'd started making digs at me. and they arent blatant insults like u r a moron or something. but digs like the one u mentioned. its pretty sh*t. u have to have extreme level of wit and sense of humor to be able to somehow counter that. cuz its low blow and if he has status on u, everybody will side with his opinion and joke rather than urs.

f*****g society.

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He made it a point to mention my bald spot (thin spot) in many situations where all my co-workers were in the room

Tell him to stop. Just because he’s your boss doesn’t make this acceptable or something you should tolerate.

Find ways to shut him down.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think i would have gotten much worse flak if i had gotten some kind of botched treatment, if i had gone in with a botched hair transplant i bet then i would be laughed at or at least people would snigger behind my back ("did you see what cuebald did to his head? my god it looks terrible, how could he do that?" a guy called DUDEMON worked in a mechanics garage doing cars. well he got a botched hair transplant. he said the taunting and mickey taking was so bad, he had to quit he just couldn't take it any more.

even worse would be getting SMP. "my god he tattoed his head, rofl, how vain can he be".
apparently the Ancient Romans had something like SMP; Martial's Epigrams has this quote:

On your bald pate no wig you use. You draw hairs on, with no excuse.
At least no barber needs to trim it. You can erase it in a minute.

so it seems you could get hairs drawn on, in the ancient worlds equivalent to SMP. And it seems it was considered just as much as a joke back then too which really shows how non viable a treatment SMP is; it's amazing it even took off the way it did.

a wig, well imagine turning up to work bald one day and then with a wig. as i work with kids, they would be snatching it off. the other bald co-workers would just shake their heads with the old "be yourself, dude"

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd kill myself

You would think that only a crazy person could ever say they would better be dead than bald.

Notwithstanding, I did hear someone say he would prefer being dead than being bald; that someone was an intelligent, successful individual. He was very good looking and had longish hair. I believe that some people just grow with the idea their hair defines them. It is not up to us to judge if this makes sense. We should just accept the grim reality that someone had better die than be like us.

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You would think that only a crazy person could ever say they would better be dead than bald.

Notwithstanding, I did hear someone say he would prefer being dead than being bald; that someone was an intelligent, successful individual. He was very good looking and had longish hair. I believe that some people just grow with the idea their hair defines them. It is not up to us to judge if this makes sense. We should just accept the grim reality that someone had better die than be like us.

He was probably just being flippant. If and when he does start losing his hair he’ll very likely have a different perspective. Even if he does consider suicide he’ll realise it’s no easy task, prone to failure and lasting damage. Hair loss is definitely better than living with a life changing physical disability self inflicted from a failed suicide attempt.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score

Or a bald person. Seriously being dead is a neutral state of nothingness, definetely better than daily anguish and shame. If I had no family I’d probably pull the trigger and go with my dignity intact.

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
its easy to say, very hard to do irl

What kind of environment do you work in?

pull the trigger and go with my dignity intact

Doesn’t always work out that way. People have managed to blow their faces off with a shotgun but survive. There’s a film with that French guy who shot himself in the mouth with a pistol and blinded himself but survived.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
Or a bald person. Seriously being dead is a neutral state of nothingness, definetely better than daily anguish and shame. If I had no family I’d probably pull the trigger and go with my dignity intact.

What are the steps you are taking to change your life?

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn’t always work out that way. People have managed to blow their faces off with a shotgun but survive. There’s a film with that French guy who shot himself in the mouth with a pistol and blinded himself but survived.

Figuratively. There are quite painless and safe methods of suicide. I’d overdose on helium.

What are the steps you are taking to change your life?

Finishing my postgraduate and looking into wigs...saving money for hair transplants or better, future treatments.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Figuratively. There are quite painless and safe methods of suicide. I’d overdose on helium.

Finishing my postgraduate and looking into wigs...saving money for hair transplants or better, future treatments.
Here is where I get depressed. Ten years ago when I would get down on myself about losing my hair amongst other physical shortcomings that I have, I would remind myself to just stay strong as so many guys on the forum would say things like "we are closer then ever to a cure" and "have you done your research, a cure is right around the corner so stop conplaining"....yea that was ten years ago and I have nothing to show but a job I hate despite having my masters degree, few friends, coworkers I can't stand because they are selfish people with only the strong survive mentality, single, and balding. It's a great recipe for a happy life, let me tell you. So thanks George C, Gail H and all the other scientists who said a treatment was super close. Thanks for letting me down. And thank you Merck for the lasting side effects of your anti baldness pill. My life is hoot let me tell you.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is where I get depressed. Ten years ago when I would get down on myself about losing my hair amongst other physical shortcomings that I have, I would remind myself to just stay strong as so many guys on the forum would say things like "we are closer then ever to a cure" and "have you done your research, a cure is right around the corner so stop conplaining"....yea that was ten years ago and I have nothing to show but a job I hate despite having my masters degree, few friends, coworkers I can't stand because they are selfish people with only the strong survive mentality, single, and balding. It's a great recipe for a happy life, let me tell you. So thanks George C, Gail H and all the other scientists who said a treatment was super close. Thanks for letting me down. And thank you Merck for the lasting side effects of your anti baldness pill. My life is hoot let me tell you.

Oh staawp...what side effects do you still feel?

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh staawp...what side effects do you still feel?
Sorry man I am not going there. I regret mentioning it actually because the finasteride army is gonna blast me, and I am not hear to argue. I know what it did to me and I'm not about to go into defense mode and get berated and ridiculed from the finasteride protectors. The drug works great for some, gives bad sides to some. It is what it is.