About To Shave, I Need An Honest, No Bs Assessment

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty sure allo-preg along with other neurosteroids can only be measured from cerebral spinal fluid rather than actual measurements from the brain. From what I’ve read neurosteroids dissipate very quickly in their area of production other than excess so whilst the change in the spine might appear significant doesn’t mean the local action is as detrimental .

administration of finasteride, a 5a-reductase inhibitor, to pregnant rats reduced the concentrations of AP more in brain than in plasma.

In contrast with this finding, subsequent studies have documented the presence of 5αR2 in brain regions of adult rodents and humans, albeit at lower levels than 5αR1
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3762250/

The idea that 5-ar II is not present in the brain has actually been shown to be incorrect.

I'd rather not be on either of these drugs, but if you want hair you don't have much choice. If you're going to take one it might as well be dutasteride. That's my opinion at least.

Last edited:

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I must admit, it seems like there have been more studies on dutasteride since last I looked (or more are coming up in my searches anyway) and the safety profile of it seems similar to finasteride which I already do well with. I am actually leaning towards trying it at this point.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually I believe the concern he exhibited was feminization. Your concern is neurosteroid inhibition. I'm quite sure the ignorant OP didn't even know what that was before your post. Anyways, finasteride strongly inhibits neurosteroids as well, and the rate of side effects is the same.

Studies have shown that blocking allopregnanolone production in pregnant rats with administration of finasteride (a 5α-reductase inhibitor that reduces brain allopregnanolone content by up to 90%)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/allopregnanolone

Sorry to spoil your myth that your brain is safe as long as you don't inhibit 5-ar type 1. lol

Actually I did know what neurosteroids were and that fina inhibits them, it's why brain fog and other mental sides are reported on fina. You know I may be overweight right now but I suspect I won't be at some point, you on the other hand will probably always be an a**h** (not to mention a pussy since you delete all of your threads).

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Actually I believe the concern he exhibited was feminization. Your concern is neurosteroid inhibition. I'm quite sure the ignorant OP didn't even know what that was before your post. Anyways, finasteride strongly inhibits neurosteroids as well, and the rate of side effects is the same.

Studies have shown that blocking allopregnanolone production in pregnant rats with administration of finasteride (a 5α-reductase inhibitor that reduces brain allopregnanolone content by up to 90%)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/allopregnanolone

Sorry to spoil your myth that your brain is safe as long as you don't inhibit 5-ar type 1. lol

Mate you are using a study on pregnant rats to justify your claims...think about that...where are your long term human studies, I have shown you much more conclusive evidence from just one publication and can certainly find many more that emphasize how much more potent dutasteride is.

I take finasteride and I'm not sticking my head in the sand about its risks, but to say dutasteride is not much more risky is a foolish claim in my opinion.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Ya considering all I have tried I think I should at least give it a try.

If this is the extent of your research I would strongly encourage you to reconsider. Because someone said "take it bro" is not a good enough reason to start taking this medication, I hope you understand that.

Don't allow temporary desperation to override a proper, logical decision making process.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with others here that it's worth hitting dutasteride, RU, oral minoxidil and needling first but OP have you looked in to hair systems? Many people are very happy with this solution. Maybe speak to Noah or Bald Bearded in the hair replacement section of this forum

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
If this is the extent of your research I would strongly encourage you to reconsider. Because someone said "take it bro" is not a good enough reason to start taking this medication, I hope you understand that.

Don't allow temporary desperation to override a proper, logical decision making process.

What are the full measure of threats in your eyes?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
What are the full measure of threats in your eyes?

I'm not a doctor nor a scientist, but I'm able to read scientific literature with some level of aptitude. I just believe long term suppression of that amount of DHT, both type I and type II, is unhealthy in the long run.

And remember, transitioning back to finasteride will not be easy after dutasteride as your androgen sensitivity may be higher, if you so choose to do so.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There may not be anything in the literature that we can access online about AR upregulation but honestly hair loss seems to be so poorly understood even by professionals in the field I wouldn't be surprised if it's just that it hasn't been properly researched. The derm I visit is meant to be one of the leading hair loss researchers in the UK (loads of published papers etc) and he told me that finasteride maintenance lasts indefinitely... Which we all know not to be true...So I don't think we can really rely on these guys, which i find hard to believe too but there it is. I've felt up-regulation first hand. Switching back from dutasteride to finasteride I went from a decent NW2 to diffuse NW3 in about 3 months, the shed was unreal. I was only on dutasteride for 3 months prior to this. Anyone who is considering switching back...Just don't...

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
There may not be anything in the literature that we can access online about AR upregulation but honestly hair loss seems to be so poorly understood even by professionals in the field I wouldn't be surprised if it's just that it hasn't been properly researched. The derm I visit is meant to be one of the leading hair loss researchers in the UK (loads of published papers etc) and he told me that finasteride maintenance lasts indefinitely... Which we all know not to be true...So I don't think we can really rely on these guys, which i find hard to believe too but there it is. I've felt up-regulation first hand. Switching back from dutasteride to finasteride I went from a decent NW2 to diffuse NW3 in about 3 months, the shed was unreal. I was only on dutasteride for 3 months prior to this. Anyone who is considering switching back...Just don't...

Ya if it doesn't happen I don't understand how people maintaining on fina for 10 years suddenly start going bald.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, you're an idiot. Dutasteride is given instead of finasteride in much of Europe and Asia because it has the same safety profile, but greater efficacy. They don't even consider finasteride as an option because dutasteride is superior. Furthermore, you don't know anything about estrogen. You hear the word estrogen and you automatically picture feminization because estradiol is feminizing. I recommended estriol which has completely different actions on the body. Extremely high doses of estriol might have a limited amount of reversible feminization, but a dose under 10mg exerts such little action on ERα that the chance of developing gyno is next to zero. Try reading more and lifting less bro. Until then sit in a corner and be quiet, we don't need you misinforming people. If you're confused about something then ask questions instead of running your mouth thinking you know everything.
I don’t see anything wrong with duasteride at all. But I do not believe a man should be messing with Estrogen. If duasteride and minoxidil don’t work, and you can’t keep enough hair for a transplant (cuz you can’t do whole head) then you should shave it, in my honest opinion.