About To Shave, I Need An Honest, No Bs Assessment

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The shave/low buzz with a beard looked way better then growing out really thin hair, on everyone i know who shaves their head

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
The shave/low buzz with a beard looked way better then growing out really thin hair, on everyone i know who shaves their head

I am afraid I am coming to the same conclusion. I can't believe I went through all of this just to shave my head and give up in the end. I am losing all hope tbh.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am afraid I am coming to the same conclusion. I can't believe I went through all of this just to shave my head and give up in the end. I am losing all hope tbh.
the noticeable thin hair looks unhealthy. both my friends who went bald look way better bald then with their thin hair

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@countjulian

if you take all of that crazy stuff why not just try dutasteride? I think until someone has tried duta, the fight is not over.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been a month, and I have been pretty consistent. Here are the pics. No idea how to feel, it's not as bad as I feared but it's still shitty.

Attachments

• 20200513_133201.jpg
    20200513_133201.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20200513_133141.jpg
    20200513_133141.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 20200513_133109.jpg
    20200513_133109.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200513_133046.jpg
    20200513_133046.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200513_133001.jpg
    20200513_133001.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 20200513_132941.jpg
    20200513_132941.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200513_132925.jpg
    20200513_132925.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20200513_132840.jpg
    20200513_132840.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 137

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
HRT or shave at this point tbh. Feel so bad for you, my hair loss is nowhere near as bad but still messes with me emotionally. Good luck.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't believe I am going to be a bald guy. If I hadn't spent all of this money on hair meds I could be out of credit card debt by now. I can't believe this is how it ends. I don't know how I can go on.

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry OP. I don't agree that it's over, but if you want to get back enough coverage to get a good hair transplant you are going to have to get a lot more aggressive in your treatment. Wounding is a must. At least once every two weeks. Ditch finasteride for dutasteride. keep going with oral minoxidil. Losing the weight will take some stress off your hair too. In addition to a 5-ARI you are going to need a potent AA, either RU or something stronger. Latanoprost is a good growth promoter, but it does nothing to stop male pattern baldness. How much are you using? You need to use at least a .5% solution to be effective. You need to repair the damage from oxidative stress. Estrogen does this. I gather you aren't up for using estradiol, so you can use estriol instead. It won't turn you into a woman the way estradiol does.
Do you see RU as an effective drug? Are you using it yourself?

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry OP. I don't agree that it's over, but if you want to get back enough coverage to get a good hair transplant you are going to have to get a lot more aggressive in your treatment. Wounding is a must. At least once every two weeks. Ditch finasteride for dutasteride. keep going with oral minoxidil. Losing the weight will take some stress off your hair too. In addition to a 5-ARI you are going to need a potent AA, either RU or something stronger. Latanoprost is a good growth promoter, but it does nothing to stop male pattern baldness. How much are you using? You need to use at least a .5% solution to be effective. You need to repair the damage from oxidative stress. Estrogen does this. I gather you aren't up for using estradiol, so you can use estriol instead. It won't turn you into a woman the way estradiol does.

You want me to use duta and estriol? There's no way that won't be feminizing

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on oral minnox, 20 mg, in addition to oral fina 1.1 mg, latanaprost, retinA, topical fina, topical minoxidil, and ketacozonole for more than a year now. You can see my last thread here
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-with-diffuse-thinning-to-show-for-it.122719/
With the closure of local barbers due to the Wu Flu I was forced to cut my own hair, I made a mess of it and had to shave the whole thing down to a 1 guard. This has forced me confront the ugly truth. I am a bald guy. A bald guy with alot of hair, but still a bald guy. At this point, with the apparent failure of every new treatment that was in the pipeline, I am faced with a few options:

1. Grow it back out and dump Toppik in it and pretend that this is normal.
2. Leave fina and jump on duta
3. Add topical RU
4. Add in a concerted and high intensity derma wounding routine
5. Some combination of the above
6. Just shave it bro.

Honestly I am leaning towards #6, but esteemed brethren of hairlosstalk.com , what do you think? Like the title of the thread says, I need an honest, no BS assessment here. I've recently made a major life decision based on the fact that taking part in a certain program would cut me off from my hairline meds for a prolonged period of time, so if I am going to make sacrifices for my hair I need to be sure of getting something for it. Pictures below.
At least try it, see if you like it! I was 16 when i first shaved my head. I'm 17 now. I liked it, but I grew it out. Doesn't matter, point is, I went out and not even my friends cared, and they actually were impressed by my balls to shave it in 11th grade, as well as the fact that it suited me.

Again, try it, I guarantee you that you will feel RELIEVED! I was relieved of a lot of stress and I only had frontal hair loss.
BTW, I shaved it down with clippers with a 1 guard, I actually dig it. Best of wishes!

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You want me to use duta and estriol? There's no way that won't be feminizing
That is WAAAYY too much hormonal interference. That treatment is already going into hormone therapy for transgender people territory. It will probably work, but I suppose you have your priorities

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was at the physical therapist's today for an unrelated issue and my hair fibers came off on the pillow. I am going to lose 20 pounds then drop all of the meds. The gyms are opening up again in my state. I am tired of this never ending humiliation.

Last edited:

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
At least try it, see if you like it! I was 16 when i first shaved my head. I'm 17 now. I liked it, but I grew it out. Doesn't matter, point is, I went out and not even my friends cared, and they actually were impressed by my balls to shave it in 11th grade, as well as the fact that it suited me.

Again, try it, I guarantee you that you will feel RELIEVED! I was relieved of a lot of stress and I only had frontal hair loss.
BTW, I shaved it down with clippers with a 1 guard, I actually dig it. Best of wishes!

I tried it last month and I HATED it. I guess I just am meant to be ugly

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
My appointment today was at a hospital. I went in without a mask. I hope I get Covid-19 and f*****g choke to death. I hate this f*****g worthless body I have been given. My girlfriend complimented me on how nice I look with the hair fibers when I came home today. We had sex yesterday for the first time in forever, since I had just shaved my beard off and she HATES the gray in my beard. She has made me shave it off before meeting her colleagues at work because she hates it so much. I know she likes me more with hair too. I f*****g hate my life so much.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Dude to be honest when you grow your hair out a little bit it appears salvageable...I think a transplant is in the cards for you down the road. However, staying on treatments is important because if you go slick the transplant just can't provide that much coverage.

However, you will need a lot of money for a good one, don't go to some random *** Turkish clinic where they butcher people and go dark when you have questions later.

Use the motivation to know that a good FUE, plus possibly a body hair/beard hair transplant for the crown will definitely keep you in the game.

Just keep your sides buzzed to a 1 or 2 for now, buy some clippers and do it yourself.

Oh and ps, if you want to grow a beard, grow the damn beard, if your girl doesn't like it tell her you don't care :D.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude to be honest when you grow your hair out a little bit it appears salvageable...I think a transplant is in the cards for you down the road. However, staying on treatments is important because if you go slick the transplant just can't provide that much coverage.

However, you will need a lot of money for a good one, don't go to some random *** Turkish clinic where they butcher people and go dark when you have questions later.

Use the motivation to know that a good FUE, plus possibly a body hair/beard hair transplant for the crown will definitely keep you in the game.

Just keep your sides buzzed to a 1 or 2 for now, buy some clippers and do it yourself.

Oh and ps, if you want to grow a beard, grow the damn beard, if your girl doesn't like it tell her you don't care :D.

How is it salvageable????????? I'd need a transplant over the entire f*****g NW6 area, none of my existing hair is worth a sh*t, there's no way to get that much hair to transplant, and it's not getting any better!

whatintheworld

Reaction score
You won't get full coverage, that's impossible. I'd say your donor is not that horrible. You would focus on a transplant on the frontal third/half, and then look into beard/body hair for the rest.

Is this better to me than being slick bald? Of course it is. Having a hairline versus having an infinite forehead makes a huge difference. For me it would be least, my skin isn't as good as yours and I would look like a dumbass without a hairline.

Having said that though, I think you could pull off the shaved head route pretty well and do not have to go down this expensive, stressful path. You have a good complexion and really just need to lose some weight at this point.