A Very Interesting New Follica Patent: Needling Device And Drug Applicator

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m sure you don’t really care, but I’ve been using a Dr. pen electric needling device, once per week at 2mm. I was a Norwood 3 before I started, and now I have small dark hairs growing all around the nw1 zone, density is also slowly coming back I think. I’ve posted a photo of my hairline in the other dermarolling thread a while ago, and I can repost it if you like. This is the first time I’ve seen significant results since I started treatments 2 years ago. I don’t have anything to lie about, I’m just putting it out there for the people that are interested in trying it. Can’t believe it’s this easy.
Guys omg it's a no brainer to try rolling or pen if you are on finasteride or especially minoxidil if you desire regrowth. However I am highly skeptical of results of rolling without the use of finasteride or minoxidil. All it seems to do is inflame my scalp and cause more hairloss in the shower.

albert

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

albert

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not trying to be rude but what is there that you want me to see? Nothing caught my eye. Again not trying to be rude.

I’m addressing this: “However I am highly skeptical of results of rolling without the use of finasteride or minoxidil. All it seems to do is inflame my scalp and cause more hairloss in the shower.”.

It’s been shown that, at least in a bunch of cases (studies and people here), wounding alone (with no other treatment) does something more than inflame your scalp - it does help with maintenance and regrowth in a majority of cases.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m addressing this: “However I am highly skeptical of results of rolling without the use of finasteride or minoxidil. All it seems to do is inflame my scalp and cause more hairloss in the shower.”.

It’s been shown that, at least in a bunch of cases (studies and people here), wounding alone (with no other treatment) does something more than inflame your scalp - it does help with maintenance and regrowth in a majority of cases.
Where? I still dont see these cases you are referring to?

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where? I still dont see these cases you are referring to?
Chinese study. Needling alone marginally outperforms minoxidil alone. That's enough evidence to show that needling indeed has an effect even without the aid of other treatments/drugs. Still, it's obviously better to combine needling with other stuff for optimal results.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Chinese study. Needling alone marginally outperforms minoxidil alone. That's enough evidence to show that needling indeed has an effect even without the aid of other treatments/drugs. Still, it's obviously better to combine needling with other stuff for optimal results.
Yea ok I think there was just that one study that said needling alone was productive. Wish their were more studies or people with results...meaning actual pics.

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you actually read the study?

The hair count increase was vellus + terminal. Minoxidil was more effective in increasing terminal hair.

HairSuit

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you actually read the study?

The hair count increase was vellus + terminal. Minoxidil was more effective in increasing terminal hair.
Still don’t understand why that’s an issue? You have something in needling that still has net effect with zero sides, and only increases with the use of minoxidil. Why are we even arguing?

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Still don’t understand why that’s an issue? You have something in needling that still has net effect with zero sides, and only increases with the use of minoxidil. Why are we even arguing?
I'm stating a fact without making any argument. I did so because this thread is obviously taking a turn towards irrationarity. I know a lot of people have the habit of believing whatever they read, so it's always good to revisit the basic facts every once in a while.

Whatabouthoes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just rolled for the second time pressing down and holy sh*t does it hurt. Did about 10 mins and didn’t draw blood thankfully

I think I bent one of the teeth slightly so I might need a new one already. Got a 25 buck 1.5 mm and I guess it’s crap. Cleaning my scalp with apple cider vinegar and distilled water afterwards

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just rolled for the second time pressing down and holy sh*t does it hurt. Did about 10 mins and didn’t draw blood thankfully

I think I bent one of the teeth slightly so I might need a new one already. Got a 25 buck 1.5 mm and I guess it’s crap. Cleaning my scalp with apple cider vinegar and distilled water afterwards

There are a handful of experienced members here that say you NEED to draw blood. That’s a sign of a healthy scalp. A non bleeding scalp that’s been stabbed a thousand times and doesn’t bleed has issues.

I honestly wouldn’t be saying this if I didn’t believe it.

I started on 1.5mm and slowly increased to 2mm.

On my crown I get a lot of blood but on my temples and hairline where I started balding first it’s like getting blood out of a stone.

Distilled water? Sure. But tap water will suffice. Unless you live in turkey. Apple cider vinegar though? Da f***?

Iah11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are a handful of experienced members here that say you NEED to draw blood. That’s a sign of a healthy scalp. A non bleeding scalp that’s been stabbed a thousand times and doesn’t bleed has issues.

On my crown I get a lot of blood but on my temples and hairline where I started balding first it’s like getting blood out of a stone.

Distilled water? Sure. But tap water will suffice. Unless you live in turkey. Apple cider vinegar though? Da f***?

i don't think this is true. The dhurat study used 'mild erythema' as an endpoint for the procedure. literally just redness.

Whatabouthoes

My Regimen
Reaction score

I used the apple cider vinegar to disencfect and soften the skin under my hair. I’ll try a little harder but it still even hurts slightly today

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i don't think this is true. The dhurat study used 'mild erythema' as an endpoint for the procedure. literally just redness.

You're trying to use actual science against broscience.

Good luck

brohawk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

There's no way you're not going to see blood if you're actually achieving erythema. Below left would be obviously after the blood's been wiped away:

Microneedle-transistion-Charlotta.jpg

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no way you're not going to see blood if you're actually achieving erythema. Below left would be obviously after the blood's been wiped away:

View attachment 108008

Do you people actually read the studies?

They did not roll so hard they were f*****g bleeding. Jesus Christ.

This whole "well it's because you didn't go hard enough" is just a cope for when it doesn't work.

The Dhurat study was very simple: One rolling session per week until the skin has "mild erythema" (mild redness), wait 24 hours before applying minoxidil, evaluate at 12 weeks. That's it.

brohawk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you people actually read the studies?

They did not roll so hard they were f*****g bleeding. Jesus Christ.

This whole "well it's because you didn't go hard enough" is just a cope for when it doesn't work.

The Dhurat study was very simple: One rolling session per week until the skin has "mild erythema" (mild redness), wait 24 hours before applying minoxidil, evaluate at 12 weeks. That's it.

I'd wager a guess that at some point on this very forum you yourself have acknowledged that studies don't always = real world results. If the idea of rolling harder is really just a cope, then by that logic you expect Follica's wounding device to be the equivalent of light dermarolling since Dhurat's study is the basis of one of their patents, right?

Here's the thing: you wounded for a few months. I've wounded for over 3 years. And I continue to make progress, as do others who have put in the time. I didn't see anything more than vellus in the first 3 months just like you, and I didn't notice much more than that after 6 months. But I now have quite a few new terminal hairs, even more that are intermediate hairs, and some that are still vellus. You have far less experience and real world knowledge on wounding than I do yet you post as though you're an authority on the subject. It's time for you to admit you may be wrong here and bow the f*** out.