A minoxidil warning - Evidence minoxidil causes eye circles, wrinkles and bad skin

resu

Reaction score
I no longer feel the itch around the eyes socket skin or the twitches, I'm totally convinced that either the 5% minoxidil or maybe the Kirkland on eBay do/can cause dark circles, the 2% I don't feel that annoying feeling on the skin around the eyes. If you guys can also test by getting the 2% and see it's more tolerable that would maybe answer this issue.

FBaldy

Reaction score
Why keep on looking? You have your answer! And you're proving the point that guys who come up with those bogus side-effects do have an obsession problem.

Jeez I was born with deep dark circles, people joked about me being a junkie because of them all my life. Do you see me reading 1000 articles about a problem that is genetic?

Yeah I did stop checking and reading into it, that was why I said its just down to age and genetics.

Nothing wrong with reading about possible cures into issues which are genetics, found some nice concealer cream which can hide and mask dark circles but you do have to find the right skin colour and shade but I do get your overall point.

Course the irony is were all on this forum reading about hair loss cures when half the issue is our genetics ;)

9 years...
I think we have the answer there.
Man edging on 40 now, it must suck to age bra.

Yes it does suck but it will be your turn soon enough :)

By the time I am an older fart I will look so worn out it won't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

While I am still unsure if minoxidil really does add or make the dark circles worse, its fair to say age and genetics don't help the matter and are the likely cause.
There are many men in there 40s,50s+ that don't have dark circles.

I never had bad skin however and drink 8-10 glasses per day, the only itch or redness I got was from allergies, ie pollen and dust if you take hayfever or allergy medicine then it does help.

Even 2 years being off the big 3 (finasteride/minoxidil/propecia) I never improved in my dark circles, some suggested exercises, putting less eye strain ie watching tv, pc monitor or medications can assist. I guess you can try adjusting your minoxidil/finasteride amounts or see if any of the above work or help you, its worth a shot but as the general vibe suggest genetics and getting older just don't help.

Otherwise if minoxidil/finasteride or Propecia if its helping then why not ? stick on that under eye concealer or endure it I would I only gave up since all I got after the 5-6 years being on the big 3 was a peach fuzz but pretty little to no regrowth, the key being you have to almost start treatment before actual hair loss or catch it from the start.

Good luck

fuugenes

Reaction score
Eye circles can can from a number of things. Eat tons of salmon and broccoli. Personally, I think the recommended amount of min to add is ALOT. But this is just in my case, so just my opinion. I think I read somewhere here that cutting the amount you use in half can help.

resu

Reaction score
Been applying just 1ml a day of liquid 2% and those symptoms I described never returned yet I felt every single day while I was on just 0.5ml a day of 5% liquid minoxidil.

jandrsn27

Reaction score
This is the man reason I had to stop minoxidil. Started causing my face to bloat and gave me dark circles under my eyes. It was not just "natural aging" it was a VERY noticeable difference that tooko only 3 months to come on. After I quit it took several months for my face and eyes to return to normal. My advice try minoxidil first, but start in 1 small daily dose and gauge your hair/face with that regimen, don't go full bore with the stuff, it was banned for a reason!

resu

Reaction score
I've quit the 2% as I losing more ground compared to the 5% even if I was applying more of it.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In fact, there was a case study of one individual on oral minoxidil who developed wrinkles because of it, as supported by the doctors who wrote the report. If it can happen on oral minoxidil, it can also happen on topical minoxidil. It's confirmed, live with it, Fred.

I also uploaded a photo of the skin around my eyes for anyone who wants to see: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...-alternative?p=1223127&viewfull=1#post1223127

On topic: As I suffered from the same, I can only recommend you to reduce the dose. By trying different doses for a couple of months, I was able to find my safe dose which is virtually side-effect free. Full dose, i.e. 2 ml a day, wreaked havoc on my facial skin. Took about one year to recover, but in the end it did reverse.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's all about the dosage with medication. And you couldn't possibly argue that a f-ing 5% topical solution can cause as much side effects that a pill you swallow.
Concentration says nothing about effect. There are many toxins which will easily kill you with much smaller amounts than 5% of a 1 ml minoxidil application.

Also, topical minoxidil can go systemic as proven by the officially listed side effect of heart palpitations. When topical minoxidil goes systemic, it will obviously have the same effects as if it was taken systemic.

resu

Reaction score
It depends, if you get obvious water retention it will enlarge the wrinkles so it makes them appear much worse. Personally I now believe in the dark circles anecdotes but not in the overnight wrinkles or the "I now look like I'm 40" claims.

I do have before and after photos of the eyes, I could post them but I don't want to be used by the natural treatment shills and snake oil salesmens to dissuade people from trying minoxidil or finasteride.

hairwish

Reaction score
I don't have time to read this whole thread but those suffering from collagen breakdown around the eyes from minoxidil use should look into using copper peptides and possibly derma rolling, both proven to regenerate collagen. Quote from site, "Copper peptides produce a better skin renewal in combination with exfoliation or various controlled skin damage methods. Copper peptides help stimulate new capillary formation (angiogenesis), increasing the biosynthesis of collagen, elastin and the water-holding proteoglycans and glycosaminoglycans. The application of copper peptides to the skin's surface creates an environment that helps the skin tighten its barrier and increase its collagen and elastin density. The photo on the right is an ultrasound scan of the skin of a women aged 59 before treatment with the a cream containing copper peptides. On the far right is the same skin after one month of treatment with the complexes. The white-yellow colored areas are the ultrasonic reflection from skin areas that are more dense because of closer cellular binding and increased amounts of collagen and elastin. This is an effect that is opposite to the usual thinning and loosening of skin during aging." http://skinbiology.com/copper-peptides-skin-remodeling.html buy from http://www.reverseskinaging.com/ and a derma rolling link http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/how-dermarolling-works/.

jjarna

Reaction score
My story...started losing since about 20, tried minoxidil for about a year.. seemed to work well but was causing what I beleived to be lines/darkness under my eyes. My hair wasnt THAT bad back then so I gave up minoxidil. I dont beleive the dark circles ever 100% went away but they definitely did mostly. Flash forward to 26 and my hair was much much worse..desperation lead me to minoxidil again. Fairly quickly it started to give me rings but I stuck with it because it was working so well on my hair.. everything was filling out dramatically, so I put up with the sides..they seemed bareable. 1 year on and my face now looks like ****. I wasnt paying much attention.. i wear glasses and was preoccupied with how well it was recovering my hair.. but here's the evidence (albeit taken in different environment but still both front lit). The results are undeniable. Everytime I look in the mirror in the morning these days Im like... wow I look like %^&*.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2hqgz7b.jpg (a before/after exactly 1 year after resuming minoxidil)

So obviously, Im going to go back off minoxidil and just hope I can replenish my skin. Im using retinol and trying to stay healthy. I'd prefer to be blading and looking vital than semi-balding and looking like death. Been on finasteride & topical spironolactone for about 6 months - does anyone know if this also causes this problem??

f--kin drugs.. should've shaved my head 5 years ago. So the moral of the story is be warned.. if you start to notice minoxidil wrecking your face, it IS a real side effect for some and it will only get worse. Just take that into consideration.

any update on this?

behindemusgo

Reaction score
First of all, sorry for my english. It is not my first language. Does anyone heard about oral minoxidil? I even didn't know that exists! Would you recomend that for a diffuse hair loss? Apply minoxidil with a DUPA is so labored.... Does it brings you more probability to experience side effects?

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that oral minoxidil is more effective but has more side effects and potential complications. I will make your heart work harder.

As for the dark eye story, i have yet to see clear photographic evidence :eek:

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm with Fred on this one. I have not seen any proper evidence of minoxidil causing dark circles/ wrinkles. Any evidence that we have seen has been laughable, with people taking pictures with different lighting to make the post-minoxidil photos looks worse. Come on, really!

Basically: pics or it didn't happen !!

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After using minoxidil for three years, i have become a raccoon... :wow:

Raccoon[1].jpg

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
The cause of dark eye circles isn't from the minoxidil itself. It is from staying up at night worry about minoxidil causing bad skin/ dark circles.

FBaldy

Reaction score
3 years after stopping all hair loss treatments (big 3) and still bad circles so age+genetics just never helped.

I did not stop the treatments directly due to dark shadows but felt since it was not helping or working well anymore but in hind sight if you got the funds and time keep it up.

I think if I ever get the funds to get a hair transplant I may restart the big 3 to retain whats left, the key was always to start early and not leave it too late.

marco75

Established Member
Reaction score
My skin/eyes have never looked better. Are you rubbing it on your face?

FBaldy

Reaction score
My skin/eyes have never looked better. Are you rubbing it on your face?

Just aged to my early 40s

I think its always tricky to pin point so called dark circles but its possibly I had them before I started the big 3 certainly when I was 24-25 and still young no real dark circles.

Maybe its just that old age kicking in ha !