A minoxidil warning - Evidence minoxidil causes eye circles, wrinkles and bad skin

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I used liquid 5% minoxidil twice a day starting in 2003 and I can say 100% experienced aging to the skin mostly on the forehead and wrinkles etc. etc.... I switched to the foam when it came out and only use it once a day several years ago.

When I stopped using so much and then cut back greatly the wrinkles mostly disappeared.

RU serious

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on minoxidil liquid for about a year with pretty terrible eye circles and skin, also it made my face swell up a bit. I took some time off and switched to the foam version and applied it in the mornings instead of the evenings so I knew that I was rubbing less of it onto my pillow and consequently my face. The side effects are still there but a lot less severe, and I don't think putting alcohol onto your scalp daily is great for your skin in general.

resu

Reaction score
My choices are 5% liquid with less alcohol 1x per day or 2% foam 2x times per day. I think I'll go with the foam this time. I already got the regrowth now it's just to maintain and get the less sides possible.

gooose

Established Member
Reaction score
Having been on the 10% minoxidil cream with 5% azelaic acid from Belgravia Clinic for 10 days i can confirm the darkening beneath the eyes and fine wrinkles have returned although the sensation of tightness in my skin below the eyes is less so with the water based cream compared to Regaine 5% foam. So i conclude the dark circles and ageing is the minoxidil and not another ingredient. I spoke to a dermatologist and he had little to offer in terms of countering the sides part from anti-ageing prescription medication e.g. retinoids.

DFWdesperado

My Regimen
Reaction score
My choices are 5% liquid with less alcohol 1x per day or 2% foam 2x times per day. I think I'll go with the foam this time. I already got the regrowth now it's just to maintain and get the less sides possible.

I am considering trying the 2% as well...although I am a little hesistant because im worried the sides will return and I don't want to do any further damage..

resu

Reaction score
I am considering trying the 2% as well...although I am a little hesistant because im worried the sides will return and I don't want to do any further damage..

I got pretty good results just applying 0.5ml one time per day, I definitely think collagen is being inhibited, my eyeballs have sunk and I notice that my eyes were very tired since I started minoxidil (1ml 2x per day), like really noticeable and I have old pics to show but I need to get a new camera though since I don't have any to take new photos to compare. Smoking affects some bad while others their skin doesn't appear to age any faster, when people smoke the body is busy repairing the damaged tissue in the lungs and so forth, so collagen doesn't get produced during the sleep like it normally would but some smoker's are perfectly ok and don't suffer accelerated skin aging. I think this is what happens to some with minoxidil either by the affect of water/salt retention or because minoxidil inhibits collagen synthesis (not proven in official trials). I also feel itch and twitches in the thinning areas around the eye socket, no dark circles for now, it's just the shadow from the eye socket that "sunk" under the eyes.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There was one in-vivo study of minoxidil inhibiting collagen synthesis, so that's covered.

I don't know about how it relates to the smoking effects. I think it has to do with the normal distribution of minoxidil sulfotransferase. If you're familiar with enzymes that can be found with varying concentration in humans, you will know they follow some Gaussian distribution. Much the same way that people who minoxidil doesn't work for at all are at the lower end of this distribution, the people who suffer from side effects have so much minoxidil converted to minoxidil sulfate because they are on the upper end of this distribution. Because of the high conversion rate as a consequence of the local concentration of minoxidil sulfotransferase, the tissue where minoxidil was applied gets saturated and minoxidil sulfate starts spreading. The officially listed side effect of facial bloating due to water retention is proof of minoxidil sulfate spreading beyond the tissue where the minoxidil was applied. If you're on the upper end of the minoxidil sulfotransferase distribution, the amount spreading will be even more, to reach concentrations high enough to inhibit collagen formation. Just my theory though, but I think it makes sense.

DFWdesperado

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got pretty good results just applying 0.5ml one time per day, I definitely think collagen is being inhibited, my eyeballs have sunk and I notice that my eyes were very tired since I started minoxidil (1ml 2x per day), like really noticeable and I have old pics to show but I need to get a new camera though since I don't have any to take new photos to compare. Smoking affects some bad while others their skin doesn't appear to age any faster, when people smoke the body is busy repairing the damaged tissue in the lungs and so forth, so collagen doesn't get produced during the sleep like it normally would but some smoker's are perfectly ok and don't suffer accelerated skin aging. I think this is what happens to some with minoxidil either by the affect of water/salt retention or because minoxidil inhibits collagen synthesis (not proven in official trials). I also feel itch and twitches in the thinning areas around the eye socket, no dark circles for now, it's just the shadow from the eye socket that "sunk" under the eyes.

Thanks for sharing resu..so just to be clear you've already begun using the 2% foam or youre planning to? I know exactly what you mean about the shadows, my skin has improved a little but the shadow is still there.. I still have the dark circles..It almost looks like Im recovering from a black eye (well 2 black eyes).

- - - Updated - - -

There was one in-vivo study of minoxidil inhibiting collagen synthesis, so that's covered.

I don't know about how it relates to the smoking effects. I think it has to do with the normal distribution of minoxidil sulfotransferase. If you're familiar with enzymes that can be found with varying concentration in humans, you will know they follow some Gaussian distribution. Much the same way that people who minoxidil doesn't work for at all are at the lower end of this distribution, the people who suffer from side effects have so much minoxidil converted to minoxidil sulfate because they are on the upper end of this distribution. Because of the high conversion rate as a consequence of the local concentration of minoxidil sulfotransferase, the tissue where minoxidil was applied gets saturated and minoxidil sulfate starts spreading. The officially listed side effect of facial bloating due to water retention is proof of minoxidil sulfate spreading beyond the tissue where the minoxidil was applied. If you're on the upper end of the minoxidil sulfotransferase distribution, the amount spreading will be even more, to reach concentrations high enough to inhibit collagen formation. Just my theory though, but I think it makes sense.

That's a highly technical post, but I understand the gist..makes sense to me too..

resu

Reaction score
I'm almost out of minoxidil so I think I'll try the foam this time but I don't know yet since I completely broke and will probably settle for the liquid, maybe use the 2% liquid, maybe alternate the 2% and the 5%.

FBaldy

Reaction score
2 years without the big 3 or minoxidil (liquid/foam/finasteride) and still my dark circles remain which I did not when I started minoxidil or big from age 30 ( now 39)

I read 1000+ page articles on cures, dropped minoxidil/finasteride and pretty much nothing helped much.

The 1000+ articles suggested lotions, potions, cremes, diets, foods, kitchen sink etc but no one had a cure and just said it is down to genetics and getting older.

Other thoughts were lack of exercises (blood flow) or if you use monitors/computers or watch tv/screen too much causing eye strain pressure under the skin......

I can't be 100% if it was minoxidil but I do agree I think as we get older it just happens more so our skin under the eyes get worse, only real option was using make up ie an under eye concealer !

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2 years without the big 3 or minoxidil (liquid/foam/finasteride) and still my dark circles remain which I did not when I started minoxidil or big from age 30 ( now 39)

I read 1000+ page articles on cures, dropped minoxidil/finasteride and pretty much nothing helped much.

The 1000+ articles suggested lotions, potions, cremes, diets, foods, kitchen sink etc but no one had a cure and just said it is down to genetics and getting older.

Other thoughts were lack of exercises (blood flow) or if you use monitors/computers or watch tv/screen too much causing eye strain pressure under the skin......

I can't be 100% if it was minoxidil but I do agree I think as we get older it just happens more so our skin under the eyes get worse, only real option was using make up ie an under eye concealer !
9 years...
I think we have the answer there.
Man edging on 40 now, it must suck to age bra.

resu

Reaction score
I ended up buying the Foligain P2 2% liquid, it dries quicker than kirkland, the latter won't even dry period it stays oily. I still need to buy a 5% to alternate.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
it dries quicker than kirkland, the latter won't even dry period it stays oily.

That is very true. I have to wash it out of my hair if I decide to go out somewhere because my hair will look and feel like crap if I leave it in.

resu

Reaction score
Yeah so far the 2% seems a lot more tolerable and it actually dries, the question still remains if it's possible to retain the gains from the 5% version using 2% minoxidil. My eyes don't seem so tired (the muscles) and strained.

duke

Reaction score
Another question, so there a chance of side effects from dried rogaine being present without me being aware? What im asking is, can dried rogaine cause sideeffects? Can dried rogaine penetrate clothes, fabrics and carpets?

resu

Reaction score
No that won't happen unless it's still liquid, the alcohol will evaporate leaving the minoxidil particles crystallized.

resu

Reaction score
Yes even out of date (expired) minoxidil will crystallize, you need to shake before using if that happens. Go to a dermatologist and ask for a facial peeling.

duke

Reaction score
So dried rogaine from clothes and furniture hasnt caused individuals in this forum to experience these horrible sides. Its the actual use of the product daily, which as a liduid enters the bloodstream, causing these sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey resu, i asked benjt the same question and here is his response.
"Yes dried rogaine can cause sides." Absorbtion isnt nearly as strong , but is possible though unlikely"