A minoxidil warning - Evidence minoxidil causes eye circles, wrinkles and bad skin

unplugged88

Reaction score
You use the word overwhelming to describe something that has supposedly happened to maybe 17 people on the entire web.

Oh and the 16 people to which it happened after the first case ever all read the story of the first one before assessing it was happening to them.

Isn't that curious? Stop with that BS, you guys suffer from hypochondria. You want bad thing to be happening to you. And that's all you found? Wrinkles?

The nature/level of severity of the side gives you no ground to discredit someones concern regarding them. Maintaining healthy skin, for example, can be as important to someone as maintaining hair is important to you and me.

The amount of people claiming skin reactions, wrinkles, eye circles, etc IS overwhelming, and is much more common then you've given credit for. Most of these precautions (and others) are even listed as warnings in Minoxidil manuals.

A lot of us are here to find ways to neutralize or lessen the impact of these sides. We are seeking advice and sharing experiences. Elitist attitude is not needed.

two-hope

Reaction score
Hey Fred - are you on Rogain payroll?

You use the word overwhelming to describe something that has supposedly happened to maybe 17 people on the entire web. Oh and the 16 people to which it happened after the first case ever all read the story of the first one before assessing it was happening to them. Isn't that curious? Stop with that BS, you guys suffer from hypochondria. You want bad thing to be happening to you. And that's all you found? Wrinkles?
Why are so vigorously defending Minoxidil? When so many people are simply concerned about its side effect on their skin and wrinkles? This does NOT make sense? All scientific evidence can go out the window when Rogain (or Regain) or other Minoxidil brands that contain Propylene Glycol) do me harm.....that's why I would not touch this PPG sheit.. Go to your local pharmacy and ask them - you may find that many other guys already have their "solutions" prepared by them - just try it out - it may cost you even less than the big brands...which did not change their products for decades...

- - - Updated - - -

You use the word overwhelming to describe something that has supposedly happened to maybe 17 people on the entire web. Oh and the 16 people to which it happened after the first case ever all read the story of the first one before assessing it was happening to them. Isn't that curious? Stop with that BS, you guys suffer from hypochondria. You want bad thing to be happening to you. And that's all you found? Wrinkles?
Why are so vigorously defending Minoxidil? When so many people are simply concerned about its side effect on their skin and wrinkles? This does NOT make sense? All scientific evidence can go out the window when Rogain (or Regain) or other Minoxidil brands that contain Propylene Glycol) do me harm.....that's why I would not touch this PPG sheit.. Go to your local pharmacy and ask them - you may find that many other guys already have their "solutions" prepared by them - just try it out - it may cost you even less than the big brands...which did not change their products for decades...

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
So you dismiss the collegen reduction findings? On what basis? and i hope that "Nothing' comment wasn't directed towards me, I'm still on both finasteride and minoxidil but have reduced minoxidil. No i didn't know that milk contains DHT. Would this mean that any DHT we consume also goes to our hair? Because I do consume a lot of dairy :(

Masakage

Reaction score
lol contains DHT, milk does not contain DHT itself, it contains DHT precursors, which promotes the conversion of Testosterone into DHT, an alternative to milk would be coconut milk. Secretlybatman, diet has a major role in hair loss. Elevated levels of sugars themselves would cause a spike in the hormonal imbalance. If you suffer from premature baldness, then chances are that your lifestyle is highly influencing it. High levels of insulin increase DHT, this is why your hair gets too oily as DHT causes more sebum production.

As you know, I don't spew bullshyt without research: http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateMilkandDHT5-11.html

Hope that helps.

Masakage

Reaction score
Actually it does. Logically it makes sense too, the food you eat has an effect on your hormones, which may spike DHT production or reduce it greatly where it wouldn't be stored on your scalp. Don't listen to me, instead listen to this doctor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tumJRQ01Hmg

Please watch it before responding.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
That site also says Tea is more beneficial than finasteride...

- - - Updated - - -

Fred here's a question for you which iv'e proposed which hasn't been answered regarding minoxidil.

If minoxidil works "by widening blood vessels and opening potassium channels, it allows more oxygen, blood, and nutrients to the follicle" Isn't it possible that would also increase the DHT hitting said follicles and thus contribute to peoples hairloss in cases that are more aggressive while perhaps benefiting more to those who's male pattern baldness is less aggressive? I ask this because where i applied minoxidil went from a nw1 to a nw3 in the space of a year while the other side of my hairline remained completely wrong ( I was only balding from the crown). Given that I wasn't on finasteride for 7-8 months, Is my theory at all plausible? because based on how DHT is carried and how minoxidil works alone, I think it might be.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
That site also says Tea is more beneficial than finasteride...

- - - Updated - - -

Fred here's a question for you which iv'e proposed which hasn't been answered regarding minoxidil.

If minoxidil works "by widening blood vessels and opening potassium channels, it allows more oxygen, blood, and nutrients to the follicle" Isn't it possible that would also increase the DHT hitting said follicles and thus contribute to peoples hairloss in cases that are more aggressive while perhaps benefiting more to those who's male pattern baldness is less aggressive? I ask this because where i applied minoxidil went from a nw1 to a nw3 in the space of a year while the other side of my hairline remained completely wrong ( I was only balding from the crown). Given that I wasn't on finasteride for 7-8 months, Is my theory at all plausible? because based on how DHT is carried and how minoxidil works alone, I think it might be.

exactly what I was thinking.
Since I've been using minoxidil, my hair seemed to have thinned so much faster. Not only that, but I think it's making my rosacea worse too, not sure though if it's the minoxidil, but it's gotten worse since using it. I'm at the point to throw minoxidil out of the window.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
No one knows how minoxidil works.

Of course your hair will get worse at first Fena, you have to go through the usual shedding before it starts to do its magic.

how long will that be, I've been using it for 9 months, all the regrowth I have are thin limb hair that fall out when I touch it, which is old hair getting thinner.

two-hope

Reaction score
Prophylen glycio is classed as poison for humans if above 50%

lol contains DHT, milk does not contain DHT itself, it contains DHT precursors, which promotes the conversion of Testosterone into DHT, an alternative to milk would be coconut milk. Secretlybatman, diet has a major role in hair loss. Elevated levels of sugars themselves would cause a spike in the hormonal imbalance. If you suffer from premature baldness, then chances are that your lifestyle is highly influencing it. High levels of insulin increase DHT, this is why your hair gets too oily as DHT causes more sebum production. As you know, I don't spew bullshyt without research: http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateMilkandDHT5-11.html Hope that helps.
No substance with Propylene glycol above 50% is approved by FDA - in anything that is applies to humans...and I just wonder why?? if it is such a friendly substance as you say?? = and thanks for your ranking. Rogain should be banned...there are alternatives without PPG.......

- - - Updated - - -

Diet has absolutely no role in male pattern baldness. Hair loss research is a biased website that posts studies that are misinterpreted so they can sell their BS hair loss pills.
So diet has no role in male pattern baldness you say? Stress neither would you say too? that means PPG has no role in male pattern baldness just as well..... that's a good philosophy...especially when we all know that our personal well being and fitness influence everything...

Masakage

Reaction score
No substance with Propylene glycol above 50% is approved by FDA - in anything that is applies to humans...and I just wonder why?? if it is such a friendly substance as you say?? = and thanks for your ranking. Rogain should be banned...there are alternatives without PPG.......

Hmm when did I say propylene glycol is friendly substance mate? Because I think you misquoted me in that very post as I was talking about DHT, Diet and hormonal imbalances....

Actually fred people do know how minoxidil works, it widens the blood veins on your head, allowing more blood to reach the follicle by removing the effects of DHT constriction.

two-hope

Reaction score
if you say:"Minoxidil", you may as well say Propylene glycol - 5% minoxidil, 50% PPG

Hmm when did I say propylene glycol is friendly substance mate? Because I think you misquoted me in that very post as I was talking about DHT, Diet and hormonal imbalances.... .
Sorry if I misquoted your comment...it wasn't meant to...my mistake.... If you apply anything which has 50% of PPG in it on your scalp - don't be surprised you get sides.... Rogain hasn't changed their Minoxidil brand or made it any safer from its inception in the last century? Why they don't come up with something less harmful - something without Propylene Glycol....??

Masakage

Reaction score
Sorry if I misquoted your comment...it wasn't meant to...my mistake.... If you apply anything which has 50% of PPG in it on your scalp - don't be surprised you get sides.... Rogain hasn't changed their Minoxidil brand or made it any safer from its inception in the last century? Why they don't come up with something less harmful - something without Propylene Glycol....??

No worries mate. Well they use PPG as an additive, which is used in many things like shampoos and even tobacco. When I used a generic brand of rogaine I had irritation and rashes from it.

Emm they actually make different types of minoxidil btw with different component. Not rogaine but other brands or clinics, for instance they make them with glycerine. My assumption is that not a lot of people actually have problems when using the normal brands, maybe minor irritation which is manageable, I mean after all people like us become desperate :(

makeveli1

Reaction score
I don't buy into the collagen theory of it causing wrinkles and so on. But 100% every time I have used minoxidil I get puffy eyes. Its caused by vasodilatory edema. I don't use minoxidil anymore but here is what I found helped, taking the 2% version, and reducing my sodium intake and upping my water intake. After a very sugary or salty meal, my eyes would always look worse. Im not some scaremongerer who is obsessed with side effects, I take finasteride without a problem, but certainly in SOME people eyebags will get worse on minoxidil.

Bounter

Reaction score
I started using 5% minoxidil (Foligain N5) for about a week only once a day at night and 2 hours before bed. Withing a few days, I could feel pressure under my eyes and my face felt slightly burning. This would last all day.

As much as I hate to, I'm going to have to quit taking minoxidil already. I'm concerned that these are the warning signs of damage to come. I'm really disappointed about that - I had high hopes for this product.

I don't see what else I can do. The only other FDA approved drug is Propecia/Finasteride, and I want nothing to do with those sides.

gooose

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to quit minoxidil due to sides (dark circles, ageing face). One of the sensations that was very obvious from the first application was a tightness in the skin under my eyes. I recently decided to try a different product from Regaine. I am using 10% minoxidil cream that is aqueous i.e. no PPG or alcohol. Applying once a day on the crown only. So far no sides or tension in the face. It's only been one week though....

DFWdesperado

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had to quit minoxidil due to sides (dark circles, ageing face). One of the sensations that was very obvious from the first application was a tightness in the skin under my eyes. I recently decided to try a different product from Regaine. I am using 10% minoxidil cream that is aqueous i.e. no PPG or alcohol. Applying once a day on the crown only. So far no sides or tension in the face. It's only been one week though....

where did you get the cream from?

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on minoxidil for a few years now and here is my take on it. Yes these side effects are real, but it doesn't have to be the end.

- my body eventually adjusted to the water retention caused my minoxidil
- I take an otc diuretic and drink plenty of water everyday
- I also exercise and stay in shape and avoid overly salty foods

This is my $0.02 mainly for newbies coming on here, but also for those who gave up to give it another try.

gooose

Established Member
Reaction score
where did you get the cream from?

Belgravia Centre in London but they are expensive. I believe they will deliver to overseas customers. I'm adopting a very meticulous approach this time i.e. water based cream on crown only for 1 month, then add temples, then increase amount applied...monitor sides throughout.

DFWdesperado

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on minoxidil for a few years now and here is my take on it. Yes these side effects are real, but it doesn't have to be the end.

- my body eventually adjusted to the water retention caused my minoxidil
- I take an otc diuretic and drink plenty of water everyday
- I also exercise and stay in shape and avoid overly salty foods

This is my $0.02 mainly for newbies coming on here, but also for those who gave up to give it another try.

I agree that this is a good strategy, although my body just never could adjust no matter what I did..hopefully it will work for others though

Belgravia Centre in London but they are expensive. I believe they will deliver to overseas customers. I'm adopting a very meticulous approach this time i.e. water based cream on crown only for 1 month, then add temples, then increase amount applied...monitor sides throughout.

Not to concerned with the price..I located their website but cant seem to figure out how to actually order any of the products..are you still side effect free so far?