A final attempt

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I just accept it looking a bit "wet", but I don't use too much and I go back and rub in any residue ~15 mins after applying it. Things are much easier topicals wise when the hair is buzzed shorter (like I used to have it). I'm using much more minoxidil since the hair got a bit longer just to get the kind of coverage I think I was getting with it buzzed. Revivogen is proving to be more difficult than spironolactone, many negatives and I'm not sure about the positives.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
These results are really quite amazing, and you haven't even started finasteride yet! minoxidil works even better when combined with finasteride. You may have been unlucky to lose hair so young, but you're very fortunate to be such a good responder. Amazing results!

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
These results are really quite amazing, and you haven't even started finasteride yet! minoxidil works even better when combined with finasteride. You may have been unlucky to lose hair so young, but you're very fortunate to be such a good responder. Amazing results!

Thanks, I took my first 1mg this morning, hoping I won't be in the 1 year shed boat with it. Gonna try and forget about hair stuff again for a while. I see you've become more concerned about the hairline lately yourself, so good luck with that too.

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
1 month on finasteride, I haven't noticed anything since taking it really (touch wood). I guess I spent too much time reading about sides etc. and imagined I would instantly feel different once on it. It will be 9 months since I started the minoxidil, spironolactone, revivogen and keto regimen in the middle of August. I'll try to squeeze in a buzz cut and post some 9 month update photos for that. I think the results might be a bit disheartening though, since I've noticed some finasteride shedding for sure and I think I've gone backwards a little since starting it (on the crown mainly). There's stll nearly a month for things to start improving though, I know zeroheat was at his worst about 5 weeks into finasteride and there was marked improvement by 2 months.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
So good results without finasteride is amazing. finasteride will definitely fill your crown completely. Good luck!

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
I've decided to stop spironolactone S5, I'm not sure if it will be permanent or not though yet. Since I got my latest batch of S5 (from HairLossTalk.com) I've had issues with my skin being coloured a deep orange/yellow shade in the areas I've been applying topicals. I've narrowed it down to the point where I can say with certainty that the S5 spironolactone is the culprit. I've discussed it more in this topic: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...hat-the-hell?p=1185798&viewfull=1#post1185798 and Included some pictures illustrating what it looks like. Without a topical androgen related weapon, I feel like I'm not doing all I could be with my regimen. The problem is I don't want to carry on using something which is colouring my skin for no obvious reason, and I'm pretty wary of stuff like RU and Flutamide. So, I'm a bit stuck...

(Edit: You can see what I'm talking about around the hairline in my 6 month progress photos quite well)

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi korlic
zeroheats success was exceptional. dont expect to replicate it though i wish you do, just dont get deterred if you dont see results in that timeframe. have a good one!

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
hi korlic
zeroheats success was exceptional. dont expect to replicate it though i wish you do, just dont get deterred if you dont see results in that timeframe. have a good one!

I probably needed to start at 19 or something to get results like that. Sorting the crown + diffuse thinning parts followed by a hair transplant at the temples would be what I'm aiming at probably, but I may as well hope for the best. I would like to replicate the timeline of zeroheat in terms of finasteride shedding > regrowth. I've actually been shedding less than half the hairs this past week, since the initial finasteride shedding increase.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oh! sorry , i think you have a fairly realistic expectations, still zeroheats regrowth was like ZZOMFG!! he is a freak lol. good luck man.

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
9 month update

Here are pictures taken today (17 August 2014), which mark 9 months since I started using minoxidil, keto shampoo etc. I will reach 2 months of finasteride usage on the 23rd of August. Since my 6 month update I have stopped using topical spironolactone due to sides about which I still await an answer from the admin of HairLossTalk.com ( http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...onolactone-since-February-What-the-hell/page2 ). I'm also coming to the end of my Revivogen and considering discontinuing its use. I have been applying it only to one temple for several months in an attempt to see if it is doing anything beneficial. As far as benefit is concerned I'm still undecided (I think it might be helping a bit) and it is the biggest hassle to maintain in my regimen at the moment.

I had 4-5 weeks of intense shedding when I started finasteride, and I feel that my progress has taken a massive hit as a result. I feel like I'm close to baseline, and in a much worse spot than my 6/7month update pictures. I feel that the shedding has now decreased again, down to minimal levels. All I can do for the moment is continue with my regimen. I've experienced no side effects from finasteride and plan to continue with it. I had a look at some of the success stories on here again and remind myself that even in the best success stories people got worse after starting finasteride before making progress. Obviously I'm far from happy with the situation at the moment. I've had no relief in terms of scalp itching etc. and no signs that finasteride is doing anything apart from shedding...

I probably won't be shaving my hair short again for some time (for professional reasons mainly) unless I lose even more ground, but I will continue to document my progress (or lack of progress). The next update will be for 1 year in November, and it will mark 5 months of finasteride. If there are any big changes prior to that I'll post here, other than that I'll try not to obsess about things for another 3 months.

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As you said, you just need to continue with the regimen for now, even if you take a hit from a shedding phase! I am hoping you'll turn those losses into gains soon, when finasteride starts doing its magic in conjunction with Minoxidil! Thanks for the elaborate read, your pattern was somewhat similar to mine!

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey man,
what a Rollercoaster. Probably not what you expected with so good initial results, but let's hope that this is all finasteride's work and that you in half a year have a full head of hair.

Good luck, and don't give up on finasteride.

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
12 Months: I've been using finasteride for 5 months now. Things got worse after about a month and remained that way for another couple of months. Recently I felt like I was similar to baseline and very little was happening, the results were underwhelming. I feel like I have made some progress recently, particularly the crown and frontal thickness behind the hairline.

- Discontinued Revivogen (can't see any results from it, expensive)
- I started using Toppik shampoo between keto days and I think it is very effective in terms of making the hair look better
- Struggling to get hold of Regenepure reliably and for a fair price, I'm looking for a more readily available SLS free keto shampoo, I would welcome some suggestions

front12monthspixel.jpgleft12monthspixel.jpgright12monthspixel.jpgtop12monthspixel.jpg

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good stuff man, nice to see an update. Here's hoping for more continued success.

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
Mini 6 Months finasteride Update: Not a proper update, and I can’t really get a good pic of the crown to go with it but I thought I’d comment having reached the 6 month mark with finasteride. I plan to continue and the next scheduled update will mark 15 months since starting topicals.

After 6 months of propecia the “quality" of my hair has markedly improved. I feel there has been noticeable regrowth in terms of general thickness/density across the diffuse thinning top area. The balding crown area has shrunk considerably and the section of it which was previously close to slick has numerous hairs coming in.

Front13MonthsPixel.jpg

OnCollinsAve

Reaction score
It looks like your regimen is really working. You can definitely tell a big difference in the thickness and health of your hair. Congrats, bro!

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
If anybody wants to know why we use finasteride, this thread will answer that question.

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
15 month update

Pictures taken on the 18th of February 2015

I haven’t noticed any particular change since my previous update. In terms of sides, the situation is also the same (none). I will be continuing with this regimen and the next update will be in 3 months. I have had increasing difficulty obtaining Regenepure DR in the UK so I’m going to have to try Revita.