A Buzzcut Is Really Unforgiving When You Start To Lose Density

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
I learned this after buzzing my head recently. My hair was getting long during quarantine (top pics), so I buzzed it off. Big mistake as I now realize just how thin I’m getting on top (bottom pics are of what my hair looks like now that I’m growing out the buzz).

Attachments

• F94C92D5-34E0-457E-A26C-0162CC8628C2.jpeg
    F94C92D5-34E0-457E-A26C-0162CC8628C2.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 815

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
holy sh*t
I've been growing my hair out too and the more I think about it longer hair is always the way to go when you're balding.

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
holy sh*t
I've been growing my hair out too and the more I think about it longer hair is always the way to go when you're balding.
Definitely if you have diffuse loss, longer is the way to go until it gets really noticeable. It’s been extremely depressing looking in the mirror and seeing how thin and slow growing the top of my head is after buzzing it. I was worried and self conscious about my hairline before I buzzed it, now it looks almost like I have a horseshoe, which is far worse...

randolf_faust

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I learned this after buzzing my head recently. My hair was getting long during quarantine (top pics), so I buzzed it off. Big mistake as I now realize just how thin I’m getting on top (bottom pics are of what my hair looks like now that I’m growing out the buzz).

crazy how you changed from fullhead to basically bald. buzzcut is definitely a tool to check for signs of hairloss

when you dont take finasteride you know where journey will ends in a few years

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
crazy how you changed from fullhead to basically bald. buzzcut is definitely a tool to check for signs of hairloss

when you dont take finasteride you know where journey will ends in a few years
True, when I buzz cut my hair a few months ago I found interesting how the thinner areas perfectly matched with my father's pattern of hair loss. My end destination is basically NW5

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depending on how old you are, NW5 is something you can work with.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depending on how old you are, NW5 is something you can work with.
You got to be at least 40 in my book for it to be even only remotely acceptable. And even then 40+ men who keep their hair are always praised for it and it's a huge plus (for example Nikolaj Coster Waldau )

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe my end is destination is probably going to be a NW4 or NW5. I hope I make it to 40 before that happens, which will be in 10 years.

NAVI

Established Member
Reaction score
This kind of helps the fact that a 40 percent density with transplant can make it seem like normal density if grown long. Makes me think transplants are reliable.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
This kind of helps the fact that a 40 percent density with transplant can make it seem like normal density if grown long. Makes me think transplants are reliable.

If you are serious about saving your hair, you should try finasteride. If you got genuine sides or it couldn't save your hair, my apologies on this assumption. But it's the only way to save your hair as of now, even look into RU before you lose it. Transplants alone on a Norwood 5-6 only give situational coverage, it's not as great as you think in person, even in those with thick hair and tons of donor. I've seen a lot. You seem really hair obsessed/depressed and definitely that thin artificial coverage won't give you the full head you think it will. finasteride + transplants (allows dense packing) is a different story. Otherwise you will get pictures and moments where you look rather bald. It won't be hair like any other 20 something, if you can accept that, it's okay.

If you're just on Minoxidil with aggressive loss, you're only buying a few months to a year at most with quality hair. It's a waste of time and money using it in such circumstances and also has skin and more serious sides in some people. You know, finasteride really pisses off surgeons because they are only getting the patient to come in once, whereas normally it would be 2-3 times. I've even heard someone tell me this so you should appreciate it's efficacy. It's the only way to let the follicles heal, maintain density and true naturalness. That said, finasteride also encourages more people to seek surgery as the reward is greater for the patient so docs shouldn't be so greedy. Still, they despise it and would be happy if it was off the market. Minoxidil is bollocks alone so they don't mind promoting it, also helps the transplant grow faster in the short term.

finasteride is donor protective too and as such helps protects the hair transplant results. Surgeons no longer say transplant results are permanent, rather they guarantee results for a certain duration. The reality is transplants will thin too especially in aggressive cases without finasteride. Also the gap between those on finasteride and those not, keeps increasing. So even in people who are not the best responders to this medication, they are still massively benefiting. Personally in 6 years my hair just got better on this, even year 5, small positive changes. Figure out what matters more. Finasteride can give keep temp sides in 2% but can also maintain all your hair for most of your prime life...there will be no hair depression. Versus not trying it and thinking of hair 24/7 in all it's negative forms. If you an accept shave or so so transplant only results with thick donor, those are also good choices. Being in limbo is the worst thing.

figure3.jpg

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are serious about saving your hair, you should try finasteride. If you got genuine sides or it couldn't save your hair, my apologies on this assumption. But it's the only way to save your hair as of now, even look into RU before you lose it. Transplants alone on a Norwood 5-6 only give situational coverage, it's not as great as you think in person, even in those with thick hair and tons of donor. I've seen a lot. You seem really hair obsessed/depressed and definitely that thin artificial coverage won't give you the full head you think it will. finasteride + transplants (allows dense packing) is a different story. Otherwise you will get pictures and moments where you look rather bald. It won't be hair like any other 20 something, if you can accept that, it's okay.

If you're just on Minoxidil with aggressive loss, you're only buying a few months to a year at most with quality hair. It's a waste of time and money using it in such circumstances and also has skin and more serious sides in some people. You know, finasteride really pisses off surgeons because they are only getting the patient to come in once, whereas normally it would be 2-3 times. I've even heard someone tell me this so you should appreciate it's efficacy. It's the only way to let the follicles heal, maintain density and true naturalness. That said, finasteride also encourages more people to seek surgery as the reward is greater for the patient so docs shouldn't be so greedy. Still, they despise it and would be happy if it was off the market. Minoxidil is bollocks alone so they don't mind promoting it, also helps the transplant grow faster in the short term.

finasteride is donor protective too and as such helps protects the hair transplant results. Surgeons no longer say transplant results are permanent, rather they guarantee results for a certain duration. The reality is transplants will thin too especially in aggressive cases without finasteride. Also the gap between those on finasteride and those not, keeps increasing. So even in people who are not the best responders to this medication, they are still massively benefiting. Personally in 6 years my hair just got better on this, even year 5, small positive changes. Figure out what matters more. Finasteride can give keep temp sides in 2% but can also maintain all your hair for most of your prime life...there will be no hair depression. Versus not trying it and thinking of hair 24/7 in all it's negative forms. If you an accept shave or so so transplant only results with thick donor, those are also good choices. Being in limbo is the worst thing.

View attachment 144619

One of the best writeups I've ever seen. Follow these wise words.

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers. Wrote something really fast, hopefully in future someone takes note, maybe saves a noob one day.
I'm really glad that I did not hesitate with jumping on finasteride when I noticed hairloss around the new year and I came here. I listened, was not delusional and now after not even 5 months 9n finasteride and not even 3 months on minoxidil my hair already made significant visual improvements. I am grateful for this forum even tho some people here are obsessed.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm really glad that I did not hesitate with jumping on finasteride when I noticed hairloss around the new year and I came here. I listened, was not delusional and now after not even 5 months 9n finasteride and not even 3 months on minoxidil my hair already made significant visual improvements. I am grateful for this forum even tho some people here are obsessed.

Then you'll be fine, you used the forum in the right way. Know that millions of men are keeping a full head with treatment including surgery. They are just mostly not on the forums and living their life.