A Battle I Hope To Win! Thinning Hair And New To Treatment.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 24 year old Diffuse Thinner, with minimal temple loss. I have been suffering from thinning hair on the top and the crown. I used to keep shoulder length long hair as a teen because it fit me more and I liked the 'feel'. In the last year of high school, some of my friends pointed out the thinning area in my crown. I decided to simply keep my hair shorter because it was only the crown. It was shorter hair, but nothing like a buzzcut, so really it was a small sacrifice. Two years later the top also visibly thinned, so I had to spend more time in front of the mirror hiding the thinning through style. Yet, I never took action, which was really a mistake. I never thought thinning would progress this far. For the past year and a half, I haven't been able to 'get away' with even a buzzcut. Recently I decided that it's time to take action, and I'm hopeful about some regrowth. Better late than never and I will have atleast put up a good fight if there is no success! I'm committed to updating this thread if there are changes in my routine and hair. Hair updates will be posted AT LEAST every two months. My routine:
  • Minoxidil liquid 5%, twice a day, for the last week and a half
  • 1.25 MG of finasteride, I'm using 5mg generic finasteride that I cut into quarters
  • Nizoral shampoo(2%), just started yesterday, and I'm planning on applying it every other day
  • On May 13, I incorporated 10mg biotin into my routine. UPDATE: I quit biotin mid june, because all it did was make the sides of my head thicker, which made things worse.
  • On May 14, I bought a 1.5mm dermaroller, which I'll be using twice a week, and immediately applying minoxidil afterwards.

Last edited:

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like a good routine, will be looking forward to seeing your results. I would not apply minoxidil right after derma rolling with 1.5mm needles unless you are very lightly rolling.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like a good routine, will be looking forward to seeing your results. I would not apply minoxidil right after derma rolling with 1.5mm needles unless you are very lightly rolling.
Yeah I stopped applying minoxidil right after, because of a burning itch. I have trimmed my body hair, because I couldn't deal with the body hair shed. I no longer shed from my head (I was shedding a lot of hair on my head for 2 weeks). I have been trimming my head to keep it at the same buzzcut, but I'm gonna let it grow out a bit now. I have noticed slight thickening, but I could just be seeing things that aren't there, so I'll wait another month. My beard has gotten super thick now, and I love it because the new density gives me a more manly stubble.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would use the dermaroller every time when applying minoxidil, just remember to go lightly, you just want increase absorption, not wound. it shouldn't burn much at all, use the foam, much better than liquid imo. Oh and you should take MSM with your biotin.

Last edited:

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like a good regimen. I'm sure you'll get results. I haven't tried dermarolling yet but hope to soon. I'd stick with it for about six months and then see how you're getting on. Hard not to obsess but you'll need a good few months to see results. I've been on regaine twice a day for about five months and am seeing some gains. Started with the foam but to be honest I prefer the liquid spray as I find I can get it to the scalp better. Am adding in finasteride now and hope to build from there. Because yours is diffuse I could see minoxidil really filling that out. The dermarolling should really help absorption and the finasteride will keep DHT at bay. All the best.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would use the dermaroller every time when applying minoxidil, just remember to go lightly, you just want increase absorption, not wound. it shouldn't burn much at all, use the foam, much better than liquid imo. Oh and you should take MSM with your biotin.
What are the benefits of MSM alongside biotin?

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like a good regimen. I'm sure you'll get results. I haven't tried dermarolling yet but hope to soon. I'd stick with it for about six months and then see how you're getting on. Hard not to obsess but you'll need a good few months to see results. I've been on regaine twice a day for about five months and am seeing some gains. Started with the foam but to be honest I prefer the liquid spray as I find I can get it to the scalp better. Am adding in finasteride now and hope to build from there. Because yours is diffuse I could see minoxidil really filling that out. The dermarolling should really help absorption and the finasteride will keep DHT at bay. All the best.
Thank you. I have decent coverage, but it's just too freaking wispy. My natural hair colour is black, if I can return some hairs to that colour I'll be more than happy. One consistent thing I have seen among minoxidil users is the darkening of hair, so hopeful on that front. Do you have pictures of your progress?

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. I have decent coverage, but it's just too freaking wispy. My natural hair colour is black, if I can return some hairs to that colour I'll be more than happy. One consistent thing I have seen among minoxidil users is the darkening of hair, so hopeful on that front. Do you have pictures of your progress?
I'm still work in progress but will probably post some soon. Has just recently started thickening up.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Please share how you are using the dermaroller i.e. for absorption everyday or weekly strong dermarolling for others. I too am using dermarolling but only for absorption until my 1mm dermaroller ships and I will incorporate proper weekly or every 10 day dermarolling and I'm getting good results so it would be great for others who doubt it works.
I use it twice a week, every 3-4 days. One session I go tough, so there is a little blood. The other session I go soft, so that there is still redness but not really blood.

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's thickening up. Looks good man. Well done.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow you have great results so far. Keep up the good work I just bought a derma roller 1.5mm. How often should I derma roll?
I use it twice a week, every 3-4 days. One session I go tough, so there is a little blood. The other session I go soft, so that there is still redness but not really blood.

adam1414

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great results mate. What supp do you think worked the best for you : minoxidil, finasteride or derma ??

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great results mate. What supp do you think worked the best for you : minoxidil, finasteride or derma ??
Any result I may have gotten is most likely the finasteride allowing the minoxidil to do its thing. I first started diffuse thinning in the crown when I was 16-17, and I'm 25 now. The diffuse thinning started slow, but really hit me hard when I was 20-21 pretty much making it noticeable, and ever since then I have pretty much maintained in a diffuse state. So my follicles have been in a miniaturized state for a long time, and perhaps only a DHT-blocker can allow minoxidil to stimulate follicles that have been miniaturized for so long. On top of that, I have been suffering from problems typically associated with an enlarged prostate(DHT related problem) since I was 20 (frequent urination, dribbling urination, ejaculation force weakened, penis pain, constipation). My urologist said I'm too young to have prostate problems so he didn't even bother to check, but he did check for a urethral stricture and found no problems in that aspect. So I can rule out a urethral stricture. Ever since taking finasteride, my ejaculation has gotten better and my libido has increased. Take it for what you will, but that's my experience with DHT-related problems and the connection with male pattern baldness. Oh and I'm as hairy as anyone can get. People are shocked at how much back hair I have at this age, and it's only gonna get more hairy as time goes by.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been going through a second shed for a week. My hands end up with a bunch of extremely tiny hairs when I'm applying the minoxidil. Some of these hairs are almost microscopic. They all look like they are lifeless with little to no pigmentation. The shed is of no cosmetic significance as the hairs are all smaller and lighter than the hairs on top of my head. Some of them are so small that my camera can't even capture them properly, and some appear as tiny black dots. I'll post if anyone wants to see, and would love to hear from anyone else who has shed these tiny hairs.