9 Years on 1 mg Finasteride

g.i joey

Reaction score
propecia made me feel weird after about a month on it for the 3 times i tried previously, but now this time im about 2 months in, very close to 2 months and i feel no sides at all, like i actually feel really good. For the first time in a year my hair isnt all i think about anymore, i could go out, feel confident and know that my hair at worst will stay as is, and im ok with that. Personally, when i passed the 1 month mark and felt good it was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. My goal is to make it out of my 20's with hair, which is what you did man.

Well, its definately not smart to consider living with these side effects you are experiencing, try lower dosages and if they dont work, well you already got a headstart at weaning off, right? I doubt they will be irreversible but for someone who took finasteride for 9 years, i really wouldnt be surprised if it takes you 3-4 months of complete cessation of the drug to feel pre finasteride again, thats only normal, you have 9 years of propecia in you.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
It is just a matter of time.

There were clues throughout your post that you were a anti propecia troll, but it didn't become obvious until this line.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any alternative without these sides? Are they really helpful? And do these sides will go one day?

Yes there are alternatives which are 100% safe. Too many to list here though. Just google "natural hair loss cures" and you will find all the information that you need.

ali110

Reaction score
propecia made me feel weird after about a month on it for the 3 times i tried previously, but now this time im about 2 months in, very close to 2 months and i feel no sides at all, like i actually feel really good. For the first time in a year my hair isnt all i think about anymore, i could go out, feel confident and know that my hair at worst will stay as is, and im ok with that. Personally, when i passed the 1 month mark and felt good it was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. My goal is to make it out of my 20's with hair, which is what you did man.

Well, its definately not smart to consider living with these side effects you are experiencing, try lower dosages and if they dont work, well you already got a headstart at weaning off, right? I doubt they will be irreversible but for someone who took finasteride for 9 years, i really wouldnt be surprised if it takes you 3-4 months of complete cessation of the drug to feel pre finasteride again, thats only normal, you have 9 years of propecia in you.

Thank you very much man, I will try 0.5mg. If my sides still exist, I will stop it completely. It does not worth to live with these sides.
It is really a sad story for me, No one in my family is bald, but I am experiencing balding from 18.

- - - Updated - - -

There were clues throughout your post that you were a anti propecia troll, but it didn't become obvious until this line.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes there are alternatives which are 100% safe. Too many to list here though. Just google "natural hair loss cures" and you will find all the information that you need.

I just shared my experience man to inform other guys that sides may be invisible in the first years of using. I do not have any benefit on banning propecia from the market, even I am somehow thankfull to propecia that helped me to keep my hair until this age. But I am in a point that really cannot enjoy my life.

Can you suggest some of those natural cures?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Helly Guys

It is my first post in this site. I am really in a bad situation and need your guidance.

I am on finasteride for almost 9 years (From 19 to 28). For the last two years, I had lots of sexual problems and also I think I have some degrees of depression. I had no idea what is problem till I found that it is side effects of finasteride (I thought that as merek assured us, it only affect 2% men temporary!)

I really love my hair but I am suffering both mentally and physically. I feel like a robot, I am not happy, I don't have libido, I can reach to the full erection, have rare sexes with my wife and all of this happened to me because of Propecia.I think my muscles also are weak now (Once I had perfect muscles). My hair is not more important than my health. I just wanted to get rid of that **** . I hope it is not too late for me and I can reverse side effects.

I am wondering if I stop using finasteride, can I go back to those good old days of my 20-22? I also wanted to know that if I stop this pill and only continue minoxidil, can it help me to keep some of my hair?

PS: To those that started finasteride recently and argue that it will only affect some people: I am an old user and I assure you, It is just a matter of time. One day side effects will catch all of you, as it caught me (I think I did not have sides in the first 3-4 years).

finasteride and depression? LOL so if one were to come off Finasteride and look like Kojak, depression would not be there :laugh:

I am not disputing side effects on finasteride but your post is not sensible or intelligent at all.

Just a matter of time eh? Did you notice any pimples on your face? If so I may have to quit.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
I'm not using finasteride, but Minoxidil, it also decreased my libido & cause erection problem. But if I stop using topical minoxidil treatment, in 3 months libido&erection back to normal. And when I start to using it again, in just 1 month the libido & erection problem arise again

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
My libido was higher while on finasteride. Hard to say why. It could be due to increased testosterone. That combined with a smaller prostate you have an urge to ejaculate more? Of course this is complete broscience crap.

That being said I do think both dht and testosterone play a role in erections. I didn't have much issues with this.

Once you turn 30 your testosterone does start decreasing by 1 percent a year. Also you have a long term girlfriend so she is old news by now... And you said you may have a p**rn problem or at least have been desensitized by it. But let me ask you this: if you see a hot curvy 18 year old girl in front of you in real life with nice huge natural boobs just out in public and she gives you a glance will you not get a rush of hormones?

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on Proscar 1/4 for almost 20 years and I'm still a NW2, thank God for that. Yes, I have experienced sexual side effects but nothing terrible. I agree that finasteride is a dangerous drug but in my case it was a true blessing.

oboeoboe

Reaction score
I've been on Proscar 1/4 for almost 20 years and I'm still a NW2, thank God for that. Yes, I have experienced sexual side effects but nothing terrible. I agree that finasteride is a dangerous drug but in my case it was a true blessing.

You are indeed a long time user. Are you still on Proscar 1/4 ?

I know people who would sacrifice sex life for more hair. Are you that type of guy? Who minimize the side effects just to look better?

cheesey45

Reaction score
Horrific drug. I took from April 2009 to December 2011, when I quit I tapered off the drug, went back to my old self no problem. Started again in June 2014, after a year on it started to get really anxious, fatigued, massive brain fog at work. Quit cold turkey in July 2015, after 2 weeks I crashed badly. Anxiety and panic attacks, insomnia, sweats like u wouldn't know, lack of interest in anything. About a week later all the sexual sides kicked in despite not having any sexual sides whilst taking the drug. Blood test for free t said propecia had plummeted my testosterone with a reading of 7.6 for a 30 year old. Nearly 2 months off and haven't really improved at all. The anxiety is unbearable, I've never been anxious in my life til now.

It looks like trt is my only hope out of this

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Why did you stop taking the drug in Dec 2011? Tired of having hair?

cheesey45

Reaction score
Basically I didn't want to be bound to a pill for the rest of my life, but then I started to hate my hair when it started to fall out. I also got a bit of gyno but was no big problem. I wish I never started this drug again incredible what it can do

haroon

Reaction score
9 yrs on finasteride

i m 35 .. got surgery of hairtrans done last year...took finasteride regularly...showed great results.but heared tht it gvz breast enlargement ... got afraid.left it...n had some kind of neglible dul pain in pelvic muscle. i hvnt reduced my libido n have remained very sex active.i consulted with dermatologist, she said it should be continued fo 3 months n then discontinued fo 3 months.n i should intake as much protein as u can with the oiling ur head with castor oil daily