9 Years on 1 mg Finasteride

junior_senior

Reaction score
Hi all, it's been ages since I last posted here--almost 10 years. I came back to write this post in the hopes that some experienced and knowledgeable forum members will read my story and offer some advice.

I've been taking 1mg of finasteride daily since January 30th, 2006, which is 9 years + 2 months on the treatment. I was 22 years old when I started, and I'm now 31. In terms of hairloss, I've been an excellent responder. Before I started the treatment in 2006, I was a diffuse thinner, with a mostly-full head of hair (but rapidly thinning) at around a norwood 1.5. Today, I have about 115% of the hair I did at the time of starting treatment. I effectively have maintained a full head of hair using the drug. My hairline hasn't receded at all either.

When I began the treatment in January 2006, I experienced zero observable side effects, so it was an easy decision for me to stay the course. I had a very high and functioning sex drive prior to finasteride, and that didn't change when I began the drug. As the months and years went on, I didn't even think about the drug anymore; each morning, taking a little pill of finasteride alongside my other routines became second nature to me. There were even a few occasions where I almost came back to this forum to write a success story, but I didn't get around to it.

However, over the last 3-or-so years, I've experienced a marked drop in my sex drive and libido. My sex drive, erections, etc. are all still functioning, its just the drive/appetite behind them that is lacking. I recognize part of this is attributed to natural decline due to aging. I also suspect part of this is attributed to my brain being partially acclimated to the excess-novelty of internet p**rn, where constant novely becomes the new baseline for arousal. However, even with these two things, I grow increasingly confident that finasteride is also playing a part. To put it into perspective, my long-time girlfriend has brought up my lack of interest in sex as a relationship issue.

Over 2012 and 2013, I thought to rule out finasteride as a potential cause. I thought to myself, 'why would finasteride produce side effects now, after 6 years on the drug? That doesn't make sense.' So, almost immediately, I put finasteride out of my thoughts. However, as time has passed, with my libido remaining low, I'm now quite confident finasteride is affecting my sex drive, somehow. I know some readers will balk at accepting my observations, and some will think I'm confounding the cause of my issue, but you need to trust my own judgment on this. I'm a fairly self-aware individual, and I'm now confident finasteride is part of the cause.

Here is a timeline of my experience with the treatment. You'll note that sometime in 2012/2013 (I can't recall the exact month), I switched from cutting Proscar into 1/5ths, to buy 1mg tabs of generic finasteride. The reason? I finished school and had more disposable income. From 2002 to 2014, all my blood tests have indicated my testosterone levels are stable, and in a healthy reference range.

Year 01 | Age 22 | 2006 | 1/5th of Proscar tab daily | No observable side effects
Year 02 | Age 23 | 2007 | 1/5th of Proscar tab daily | No observable side effects
Year 03 | Age 24 | 2008 | 1/5th of Proscar tab daily | No observable side effects
Year 04 | Age 25 | 2009 | 1/5th of Proscar tab daily | No observable side effects | Had surgery to remove my gynecomastia in autumn of this year**
Year 05 | Age 26 | 2010 | 1/5th of Proscar tab daily | No observable side effects
Year 06 | Age 27 | 2011 | 1/5th of Proscar tab daily | No observable side effects
Year 07 | Age 28 | 2012 | 1/5th of Proscar tab daily | Low Libido
Year 08 | Age 29 | 2013 | 1 mg Finasteride tab daily | Low Libido
Year 09 | Age 30 | 2014 | 1 mg Finasteride tab daily | Low Libido
Year 10 | Age 31 | 2015 | 1 mg Finasteride tab daily | Low Libido

**NOT at all related to taking finasteride. I developed mild-to-moderate gynecomastia during the onset of puberty at the age of 12. At 26, I opted for surgical removal of my glandular tissue. I included this on the chart, as I sometimes contemplate if removing my glandular tissue could have had an impact on my endocrine system/sex drive.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'm baffled why side effects would begin after so many years of being side-effect free. I'm an otherwise above-average healthy person: I eat very clean, run, bicycle, weight lift regularly, and am fit. One hypothesis of mine is that, in my mid-20s, 1mg was an appropriate dose of finasteride to block DHT, and that in my late-20s and early-30s, my bio-chemistry has evolved/aged, and now 1mg is too much finasteride. I don't know if that's a reasonable hypothesis though. My second hypothesis is that by splitting a 5mg Proscar tab in 1/5ths for the first 6 years, with each daily dose being 1mg+/-10%, the minor dose variation kept my body "guessing," and prevented the onset of a new libido-reduced hormonal equilibrium... though I'm not putting too much stock in my 2nd hypothesis.

In 10 years, have there been developments in any other treatments? What happens if I stop taking finasteride? Are there any alternatives? Would anyone recommend me lowering my daily dose to 0.5mg? I've read some accounts online that people have had positive results preventing hairloss and reducing side effects with half doses. I came across some horror stories online of people whom experienced irreversable side effects from the drug. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me. Though, I doubt that's my case, as I didn't have any side effects for many years, and my sex drive currently functions--just at a lower-than-normal level.

Any help would be very much appreciated. As of today, I'm not making any changes to my regimen. I'll continue taking 1mg of finasteride until I have better information on an appropriate course of action.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it. You could always quit for a period, see if your libido bounces back. As you mentioned, there are many reasons one can lose his libido. Eating too little fat, having a long term gf, stress, anxiety (perhaps about having low libido). Many men not on finasteride get low libido. I would try to boost my libido before quitting.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Amazing you've been on finasteride for so long, you lucky devil you. I wonder what norwood you'd be right now, without it....
I say your lower dosage slightly to 0.75, maybe stop thinking about it or simply don't masturbate.

I'd say libido is all in the mind, if you convince yourself nothing turns you on. Hell nothing will turn you on!

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think this is the 3rd long time user who is quitting propecia for low libido.

davepeters3345

Established Member
Reaction score
10 years is a long time dude. 22 years old is peak horniness. You **** like a bunny. Older people tend to have decreased libidos... It may not be finasteride related, just normal aging.

As for me, I would gladly trade some libido in my 30s to keep the hair I have now, but thats me.
Cheers and goodluck

junior_senior

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. And I agree, there are many reasons one can experience a low libido. I do recognize non-finasteride factors (such as age, long-term relationships, having a "grown-up" job, etc.) play a part, but I feel finasteride is also contributing. My main question to the forum, particularly for people whom have experienced something similar is, what to do next? I've read a little bit about cutting down the dosage. Does it work? Is 0.5mg daily just as effective, but with less side effects? What might I expect of my endocrine system if I stopped the drug, or cut back on the drug? I've also heard of people going through a transitional phase of unusual temporary side effects when either stopping the drug or changing dosages. Is that typical?

Sorry, but I don't have photos. I never took before pictures in 2006, and I've never taken any photos of my hair during the course of treatment. I was a good responder: I began the treatment; the treatment worked; I stayed on the treatment. In that time, I never once came on this forum, and I never once thought about documenting my hair. That's the thing about finasteride users with good results, there's no need for them to come online to discuss their progress. People tend to seek out help on forums generally when there's a problem. So, like many finasteride users, I didn't even logon to this forum for 9 years... until last week.

To clarify an above post, I'm not quitting finasteride quite yet. I may not quit at all. I came on here to learn more, and get feedback from some experienced/knowledgeable users: namely, on whether lower doses can sufficiently block DHT, but reduce side effects. As of today, I'm still on the treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing you've been on finasteride for so long, you lucky devil you. I wonder what norwood you'd be right now, without it....

I wonder that myself. It's possible that without finasteride I would be completely bald. It's possible that I might just have thinner hair, or a bald crown. There's no way to know. I've observed friends go bald in a matter of two years. I've observed friends slowly thin out over 15 years. It's different for everyone.

davepeters3345

Established Member
Reaction score
There has been a user that lowered his dose to about on 5mg pill every 1-2 weeks and it worked for him. I would try lowering the dose to 0.5mg, monitor that and see what happens.

Cheers

junior_senior

Reaction score
Having thought more about this, I should also report that over the last 4 years, my nocturnal and morning erections have mostly disappeared. I get them about 2-3 times a month, as opposed to every day. And they're soft erections, at best. At 31 years old, I doubt that 2 morning erections per month is normal. Finasteride is affecting me.

As of today, I'm really starting to consider 2 things: 1) either stopping the drug, or 2) cutting back my dosage. I read some stories on the Propecia Help forum, and they scared the living crap out of me.

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably your body saying gimme a break...from finasteride. Propeciahelp seem extreme from what I've seen. I'm battling A LOT of sides now after many years on so now tapering off, possibly for good.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read some stories on the Propecia Help forum, and they scared the living crap out of me

That place is terrifying. Even though its stupidly rare its scared me off finasteride for life.

ali110

Reaction score
Quitiing finasteride after 9 years

Helly Guys

It is my first post in this site. I am really in a bad situation and need your guidance.

I am on finasteride for almost 9 years (From 19 to 28). For the last two years, I had lots of sexual problems and also I think I have some degrees of depression. I had no idea what is problem till I found that it is side effects of finasteride (I thought that as merek assured us, it only affect 2% men temporary!)

I really love my hair but I am suffering both mentally and physically. I feel like a robot, I am not happy, I don't have libido, I can reach to the full erection, have rare sexes with my wife and all of this happened to me because of Propecia.I think my muscles also are weak now (Once I had perfect muscles). My hair is not more important than my health. I just wanted to get rid of that **** . I hope it is not too late for me and I can reverse side effects.

I am wondering if I stop using finasteride, can I go back to those good old days of my 20-22? I also wanted to know that if I stop this pill and only continue minoxidil, can it help me to keep some of my hair?

PS: To those that started finasteride recently and argue that it will only affect some people: I am an old user and I assure you, It is just a matter of time. One day side effects will catch all of you, as it caught me (I think I did not have sides in the first 3-4 years).

g.i joey

Reaction score
Helly Guys

It is my first post in this site. I am really in a bad situation and need your guidance.

I am on finasteride for almost 9 years (From 19 to 28). For the last two years, I had lots of sexual problems and also I think I have some degrees of depression. I had no idea what is problem till I found that it is side effects of finasteride (I thought that as merek assured us, it only affect 2% men temporary!)

I really love my hair but I am suffering both mentally and physically. I feel like a robot, I am not happy, I don't have libido, I can reach to the full erection, have rare sexes with my wife and all of this happened to me because of Propecia.I think my muscles also are weak now (Once I had perfect muscles). My hair is not more important than my health. I just wanted to get rid of that **** . I hope it is not too late for me and I can reverse side effects.

I am wondering if I stop using finasteride, can I go back to those good old days of my 20-22? I also wanted to know that if I stop this pill and only continue minoxidil, can it help me to keep some of my hair?

PS: To those that started finasteride recently and argue that it will only affect some people: I am an old user and I assure you, It is just a matter of time. One day side effects will catch all of you, as it caught me (I think I did not have sides in the first 3-4 years).

if you noticed side effects after the first 4 years why would you take it for another 5?

ali110

Reaction score
if you noticed side effects after the first 4 years why would you take it for another 5?
It was happened really gradually that I did not notice. I did not know that all these could be side of finasteride and unfortunately I didn't really care about them (I just thought that maybe it is something temporary and it is because of my stressful life. Recently, I experienced lots of shedding and I started my hair loss investigations again. Then I found that finasteride has all of these effects. Now, I am sure cause of all of these sides is finasteride and I am going to stop it.
Is there any alternative without these sides? Are they really helpful? And do these sides will go one day?
Thanks

g.i joey

Reaction score
I believe the sides will go away man... there really is a small, and I couldn't put enough emphasis on small percentage of people who will have persistent side effects. Try weaning off the drug slowly and once ur at a small dose then start taking it 4 times a week then 3 times a week and so on.

As for alternatives I'd say you have cb or ru which both haven't been fda approved but claim alot of anecdotal success.. why don't u try taking half the dose I think you will notice a diff and mayne you could.maintain hair for another 2/3 years until seti/pge2 could potentially come out and save us all.. good luck man

- - - Updated - - -

Take .5mg/day from.now on or 1 mg on Monday Wednesday and Friday... people still maintain on these doses and I'm sure it will alleviate sides to some extent

ali110

Reaction score
Thanks so much bro. I will go on 0.25 mg (dividing it by 4). I have seen some charts that show very small difference in effectiveness of 1 and 0.25 mg. I also read in this forum that side will eventually catch you, even with lower doses. Am I correct?
Can you please tell me what is RU and CB?

g.i joey

Reaction score
Thanks so much bro. I will go on 0.25 mg (dividing it by 4). I have seen some charts that show very small difference in effectiveness of 1 and 0.25 mg. I also read in this forum that side will eventually catch you, even with lower doses. Am I correct?
Can you please tell me what is RU and CB?

people say that .25 is similar but its not, it didnt help me with hairloss and i continued to lose hair on .25, now that i take .5/day i feel my hairloss has slowed down big time.

RU and CB are topicals, i dont know much about them tbh but a simple google search should inform you enough. Personally, ru wouldnt be an option for me but CB does have some interesting aspects, the thing is these are hard to obtain.

ali110

Reaction score
people say that .25 is similar but its not, it didnt help me with hairloss and i continued to lose hair on .25, now that i take .5/day i feel my hairloss has slowed down big time.

RU and CB are topicals, i dont know much about them tbh but a simple google search should inform you enough. Personally, ru wouldnt be an option for me but CB does have some interesting aspects, the thing is these are hard to obtain.

Did you experience side with 0.5 mg? I afraid that I continue propecia and those sides become irreversible.
Thanks