7 Months On finasteride - Hair Thinner All Over - Anyone With Positive Experience?

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been reading up on finasteride and peoples responses at the 7 month mark and going crazy trying to figure out if im going to get better. I'm 35, for the past 9 years my hair has slowly been receding and thinning. Slowly thinning. And for whatever reason my right side seems to be thinning/receding at a faster rate then left. In fact i mainly started finasteride just to see if i could improve my right side, i was ok with my left.

I started finasteride in March and since then my hair loss has accelerated, it feels like it anyways. My scalp is a lot more see through and hair has thinned/shed all over.

Has anyone seen this happen to them and turn around? I would be soooo happy just to be back where i was before finasteride. I also take minoxidil, it felt like since finasteride that the minoxidil was irritating my scalp (strange it didnt do that before finasteride) so i found a low PG minoxidil.

Hair feels drier and lifeless lately... its very strange. I believe my hair was slowly thinning all over before finasteride, not just receding but thinning. I remember buzzing my head about 3 years ago and the little stubble coming back looked thin. When the hair grew in you couldnt tell there was any thinning though.

So either finasteride has accelerated all of this and im boned... or its been slowly going on for so long that things need extra time to reset and come back better? Maybe? hopefully?

Anyone with similar experience at all?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been reading up on finasteride and peoples responses at the 7 month mark and going crazy trying to figure out if im going to get better. I'm 35, for the past 9 years my hair has slowly been receding and thinning. Slowly thinning. And for whatever reason my right side seems to be thinning/receding at a faster rate then left. In fact i mainly started finasteride just to see if i could improve my right side, i was ok with my left.

I started finasteride in March and since then my hair loss has accelerated, it feels like it anyways. My scalp is a lot more see through and hair has thinned/shed all over.

Has anyone seen this happen to them and turn around? I would be soooo happy just to be back where i was before finasteride. I also take minoxidil, it felt like since finasteride that the minoxidil was irritating my scalp (strange it didnt do that before finasteride) so i found a low PG minoxidil.

Hair feels drier and lifeless lately... its very strange. I believe my hair was slowly thinning all over before finasteride, not just receding but thinning. I remember buzzing my head about 3 years ago and the little stubble coming back looked thin. When the hair grew in you couldnt tell there was any thinning though.

So either finasteride has accelerated all of this and im boned... or its been slowly going on for so long that things need extra time to reset and come back better? Maybe? hopefully?

Anyone with similar experience at all?
Look at some old posters on other forums. You will find this happens alot to people at around the 7 to 9 months of using finsteride. I thought the same thing happened to me. I went below baseline at round 8 months and never recovered from it but it never got really too bad. Just means you are a poor responder if you don't improve. You will have to wait until 2 years on treatments before you will know exactly where you are heading. Remember only the best responders and high NWs seem to notice the most improvement. Low Norwood's don't notice huge improvements because their balding is either slower and you have very little to improve.

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks house.... not what i wanted to hear but thanks for the response. I do have mostly full coverage on my head, when its wet its see through (which feels new to me) but i was hoping those hairs would recover.

Well... im not sure what to do now. Continue the finasteride use, add in dutasteride, switch fully to dutasteride, topical finasteride... i hate these options.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks house.... not what i wanted to hear but thanks for the response. I do have mostly full coverage on my head, when its wet its see through (which feels new to me) but i was hoping those hairs would recover.

Well... im not sure what to do now. Continue the finasteride use, add in dutasteride, switch fully to dutasteride, topical finasteride... i hate these options.
Just stick with minoxidil twice per day if you can along with finasteride. I would just keep doing that for the next two years. If it gets worse, then try dutasteride.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im also one who experienced accelerated hair loss on finasteride, im 11 months in now. However I am on loniten and i do seem to be regrowing what finasteride took away and more! Its slow progress though, the hairs ive gained are pigmented but many are very thin right now. I hope they thicken up.

Regulate

My Regimen
Reaction score
hi there, i am in the exact same position as you. i started finasteride 1,25mg february the 4th, and i never missed a day since then. so i am basically 8 months on finasteride. the first 3 months nothing really happened, but from the 4th month untill the 7th i lost a lot of hair. i went crazy in the shower, everyday i was losing around 100 hairs when i was just gently rubbibg my hair. for the past 30 days i must say that the shedding has decreased A LOT. I now lose about 10-20 hairs in the shower, sometimes even less. but the point is that despite the shedding has decreased, i have lost a lot of hair. my front totally got destroyed, and i really wonder if it will grow back. i do not see any new hairs coming in, i wonder why because 8 months has passed ffs... i wont give up and wait untill the 1 year mark. i hope you do not give up and keep believing in your regime. best of luck to you!

nimdok

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey I know this is an old thread, but has anyone seen improvements?