6 Months On Oral Minoxidil And Experiencing A Shed As Bad Or Worse Than Initiation?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Trying to wrap my head around shedding to better assess if the minoxidil is working.

I’m counting 180-220 per day in the last week or so...

What are the shed cycles on minoxidil?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
No idea buddy. I've been shedding for a month on oral minoxidil (second shed) but mine is not as bad as the initial one I had. I'm almost 5 months in and lost all my gains.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m trying to remain optimistic 3-4 mknthsnkn and seemed to finally make some gains, but have regressed and lost a N1 hairline in just two months...

I’m also a diffuse thinning which makes the shed hard to place...

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's mad how you have women on yt whose hair is in a lot worse state than you guys; sparse and thin, but make brilliant recoveries with just topical minoxidil. Yet you guys are having issues with good hair characteristics on oral? Surely it must be the dht factor in men? None of you are currently on an anti androgen, correct?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all

I’ve had recurring cycles of regrowth and basically no hair growth since taking oral minoxidil. I started on 2mg in August 2015 and have also been using 5% topical twice a day, but what I’ve noticed is that I will go through maybe 2-3 months of massive regrowth, then another 3-4 months where my hair basically stops growing, and my hairline will recede, my overall density will take a hit. It’s left my hair thinner and thinner every time. It also affects facial (brow/lash) and body hair. It all grows reeeaaally slowly and thin, or it’s growing like weeds. My shed seems to remain the same, between 80-150 each day, so it’s not a shed, it’s hair growth synchronisation or something. I honestly have no idea what the f*** to do about I other than maybe drop the topical stuff to see if it lessens some of the issue just incase I’ve been using too much. All I know is that is grows hair... for maybe 3-4 months out of the year. So I only end up with some hairline regrowth.. but my hair overall just gets worse.

shadowcast

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're counting hairs but are you actually looking worse? Are you taking photos every month in the exact same lighting\setting and comparing? If not then you can't trust your perception.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're counting hairs but are you actually looking worse? Are you taking photos every month in the exact same lighting\setting and comparing? If not then you can't trust your perception.
Jan 2017-jan 2018. It’s worse.

Attachments

• A2615CBD-948C-4C7E-B7E5-F6E95165BFE6.jpeg
    A2615CBD-948C-4C7E-B7E5-F6E95165BFE6.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 6,093

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Georgie have you ever tried to stop oral for a period today time? I think it’s a losing game, loss over regrowth but I’m terrified to stop for fear a good portion of the regrowth is Minoxidil dependent.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So
@Georgie have you ever tried to stop oral for a period today time? I think it’s a losing game, loss over regrowth but I’m terrified to stop for fear a good portion of the regrowth is Minoxidil dependent.
So you got amazing regrowth with oral minoxidil?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I tried last year and all the hair on my body began to die. It’s losing its effect for me too and has done quite significantly since starting on it is 2015 but I currently haven’t got any other choice

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Georgie how has your overall experience with oral minoxidil?
Bad side effects, constant shedding, cycles of massive loss/recession then some regrowth, never any constant growth, I’ve been going downhill the entire time I’ve been using it but my hairloss is so incredibly aggressive that it’s better than not being on it.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Jan 2017-jan 2018. It’s worse.

Eh, that’s different lighting. I do think that you know what’s up with your own hair so I’m not doubting that you are seeing a digression at times..

It’s odd that everyone on topical or oral reports the same thing. Massive sheds that a referred to as synchronization. I had to quit topical 4 years ago and that’s when I realized that my hair responded in a very positive way to it. These stories are just so insane that no one is ever going to try it hahah

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
E
Dude your obsessed with gyno from finasteride/dutasteride and dark circles from minoxidil lol I mean no offense but it's all you seem to ask.
Exactly, he asks about sides on every thread. I mean comeon man, either embrace them or forget hair. You're fighting with genetics, you gotta bear some sides.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bad side effects, constant shedding, cycles of massive loss/recession then some regrowth, never any constant growth, I’ve been going downhill the entire time I’ve been using it but my hairloss is so incredibly aggressive that it’s better than not being on it.
Thank you very much for the reply.

I started losing hair when I was 15. I never considered it to be Androgenetic Alopecia as I didn't know that anything such a s diffuse thinning/hair loss exists. I'm 19 now and have lost about 50% density - not in male pattern baldness way; hairline is intact.

Now, having tried every treatment I've realised it to be genetic and have started on big3 a week ago. I want my hair back anyhow. Since I've also started topical minoxidil (as a part of big3), I was planning to start oral minoxidil as well.
Would you recommend it? (note I'm considering because it has done wonders to some people - like increased thickening, darkness, density etc)