6 Months On Oral Minoxidil And Experiencing A Shed As Bad Or Worse Than Initiation?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply.

I started losing hair when I was 15. I never considered it to be Androgenetic Alopecia as I didn't know that anything such a s diffuse thinning/hair loss exists. I'm 19 now and have lost about 50% density - not in male pattern baldness way; hairline is intact.

Now, having tried every treatment I've realised it to be genetic and have started on big3 a week ago. I want my hair back anyhow. Since I've also started topical minoxidil (as a part of big3), I was planning to start oral minoxidil as well.
Would you recommend it? (note I'm considering because it has done wonders to some people - like increased thickening, darkness, density etc)
Don’t start with oral. Give the topical a go and see how that does for a while. If you need something stronger you can try Oral
Later on down the track but it’s a last resort imo

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any thoughts on getting off of oral? I’m shedding constantly for two years. Minoxidil ruined the quality of my hair, accelerated loss of density with an initiation shed that never recovered.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t start with oral. Give the topical a go and see how that does for a while. If you need something stronger you can try Oral
Later on down the track but it’s a last resort imo
Will try not to start Georgie, although I've bought them. I feel topical minoxidil should work well on me since it also has Retin-A and hydrocortisone.
At 19, losing hair in the diffuse way makes me feel miserable. But lemme wait for 2 months.. And witness what life has in it for me.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any thoughts on getting off of oral? I’m shedding constantly for two years. Minoxidil ruined the quality of my hair, accelerated loss of density with an initiation shed that never recovered.
And you're not shedding before starting minoxidil?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was shedding heavy in the crown only. Adding minoxidil knocked out overall density and thinner vertex. Hairline weakened a month into Finasteride.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was shedding heavy in the crown only. Adding minoxidil knocked out overall density and thinner vertex. Hairline weakened a month into Finasteride.
So you are basically saying that both fina and oral minoxidil made things worse for you, right?

Please tell me how much time did you give to both?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will try not to start Georgie, although I've bought them. I feel topical minoxidil should work well on me since it also has Retin-A and hydrocortisone.
At 19, losing hair in the diffuse way makes me feel miserable. But lemme wait for 2 months.. And witness what life has in it for me.
I started losing at 19. It’s really hard when you’re so young but at least you’re being proactive. minoxidil + hydrocortisone + retin-a should really help!

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started losing at 19. It’s really hard when you’re so young but at least you’re being proactive. minoxidil + hydrocortisone + retin-a should really help!
It's not only hard but other things as well. I would just not find words to describe it. Since I started losing hair (at 15), my social life has been nil. I became a highly introverted person. I've not been to any party/ceremony since past 4 years.

In short, it sucks. And it sucks badly. I should stop my vent now.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not only hard but other things as well. I would just not find words to describe it. Since I started losing hair (at 15), my social life has been nil. I became a highly introverted person. I've not been to any party/ceremony since past 4 years.

In short, it sucks. And it sucks badly. I should stop my vent now.

That’s the same situation with me. I hated the feeling of not being able to go to the grocery store in peace, without thinking about my hair. On the hot days in early spring, I would still wear a beanie!

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s the same situation with me. I hated the feeling of not being able to go to the grocery store in peace, without thinking about my hair. On the hot days in early spring, I would still wear a beanie!
I can understand Ikarus. I didn't even went to coaching and college many times; every other day I would be depressed about it, but I couldn't do anything simply because I didn't know anything such as diffuse thinning exists. I transitioned from a highly confident person to an under-confident person. Attitude, Ego... Everything died.
Now when anybody talk of sides from fina or others, I just shurg and move away. Most sides are acceptable to me now. I just want my hair back.

Anyway, your regimen ensures you get your hair back. You're lucky in that sense. Here's wishing you the best.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can understand Ikarus. I didn't even went to coaching and college many times; every other day I would be depressed about it, but I couldn't do anything simply because I didn't know anything such as diffuse thinning exists. I transitioned from a highly confident person to an under-confident person. Attitude, Ego... Everything died.
Now when anybody talk of sides from fina or others, I just shurg and move away. Most sides are acceptable to me now. I just want my hair back.

Anyway, your regimen ensures you get your hair back. You're lucky in that sense. Here's wishing you the best.

That’s why I am on such a strong regimen. If I feel like this now, I can’t even fathom how I would feel if it progressed!

Are you using finasteride/dutasteride?

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s why I am on such a strong regimen. If I feel like this now, I can’t even fathom how I would feel if it progressed!

Are you using finasteride/dutasteride?
Yes. Finasteride for now. I take about 2-3 tabs ED. I know many here says that .5 =1/2/3, but I'm little crazy this time. I have seen some studies which shows that more of it blocks more DHT.

I've also purchased oral minoxidil but whether I would take it or not will depend on the mood, since I've already weighted pros and cons and they only made me confused. (thankfully I've my ego again :p)

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. Finasteride for now. I take about 2-3 tabs ED. I know many here says that .5 =1/2/3, but I'm little crazy this time. I have seen some studies which shows that more of it blocks more DHT.

I've also purchased oral minoxidil but whether I would take it or not will depend on the mood, since I've already weighted pros and cons and they only made me confused. (thankfully I've my ego again :p)

Just watch out if finasteride loses it’s effectiveness, since within studies it’s not as effective in younger people compared to slightly older patients.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t recommend oral minoxidil yet.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just watch out if finasteride loses it’s effectiveness, since within studies it’s not as effective in younger people compared to slightly older patients.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t recommend oral minoxidil yet.
Yes. I would start popping Duta once it loses its effectiveness.

Yeah, I'm more scared of initial shed than anything else, so gonna wait for 3 months before adding anything else.

Rudi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know exactly how it feels for you guys. I started balding at 15. With 23 I got hold of minoxidil in the US. At age of 33 Propecia and at age of 44 I started with Avodart. I guess I was lucky that I never had agressive loss.
I dont know if its comfort for you guys but at least you have something available right now. Using moderate optimism I believe that at least one of the new products in the pipeline will make it to the market and be effective. I assume you will be in your mid twenties by then. I will be 55. Altough life may suck now but think of your life expectancy. Believe me, you will enjoy having a full head of hair your entire life especially if you struggled with it already in your teenage years.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Trying to wrap my head around shedding to better assess if the minoxidil is working.

I’m counting 180-220 per day in the last week or so...

What are the shed cycles on minoxidil?
How is the shedding now? Did you quit oral minoxidil? I'm on it and seems to be shedding for a month. It started 2 weeks in lasted a week only at first lost 130 hairs then day by day shedding went down to 17 hairs. Few weeks later I'm shedding 100 hairs again. Some guys get really nice thickening and regrowth from oral minoxidil that's why I got on it. Most say shedding last a month to 2 months.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding has been pretty steady on or off the oral minoxidil, I’m easing back at 2.5 a day with .25 Propecia 4x per week per a new doctor.

I think the oral minoxidil helped overall and regret stopping, I thought it was the source of the shedding but in retrospect it was doing a lot to help regrowth. If you can ride out the shed and get to 5mg safetly I think it’s a good simple way to use minoxidil without the mess and inconvenience.

I think it’s testosterone killing my hair, T is natural 1000 with high free T and almost no DHT. I wish there was a solid answer on CB or RU tried RU but who knows if it’s even real stuff.

King Norwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding has been pretty steady on or off the oral minoxidil, I’m easing back at 2.5 a day with .25 Propecia 4x per week per a new doctor.

I think the oral minoxidil helped overall and regret stopping, I thought it was the source of the shedding but in retrospect it was doing a lot to help regrowth. If you can ride out the shed and get to 5mg safetly I think it’s a good simple way to use minoxidil without the mess and inconvenience.

I think it’s testosterone killing my hair, T is natural 1000 with high free T and almost no DHT. I wish there was a solid answer on CB or RU tried RU but who knows if it’s even real stuff.
stop with the anavar and trenbalone